Has Holmes and Lions management tanked this season?

Ned.
Mor.
Wepunz!
tenor-3

Amon-Ra St. Brown was not targeted in the Lions’ Week 7 loss to the Rams. Told you WR’s can’t catch the ball if QB doesn’t throw it.

One pass into end zone an it was INT I don’t mind they but shows what he is doing at QB, Look at yard passing an take away the two screen passes to Swift He never got 200 I see a scared QB soon as he moves team into FG range he starts to play really scared

Amon Ra is tied for 4th most catches by rookie WRs.
The top 3 are the 1st three WRs taken (all top 10 picks).

Tyrell had not missed a game due to concussion prior to 2021. Should Holmes have predicted he would get a concussion on an illegal hit?

So I continue to ask… for anyone who thinks Holmes should have done more at the WR position… WHO?

Seriously… Who???

Who should Holmes have drafted?
Who could he have signed… with almost no salary cap space???

4 Likes

Which year? Julius Erving 76rz? Iverson? or modern day?

1 Like

Modern day trust the process 76ers.

“Like” (I’m out for the next 14 mins)

1 Like

I had the feeling last night that it wasn’t so much he was scared, as he just doesn’t process his reads quickly enough. If you watch the difference between him and Stafford, Stafford buzzes through his reads, has time to come back to a read and knows what is going to happen. Goff slowly processes what is happening, is trying to figure out if he has time to hit the receiver and really never comes back to a read. It was definitely apparent last night on several plays with his hitches that delayed his passes just a split second and cost him some could be completions.

5 Likes

I think getting the salary cap under control was the absolute first and most important step for Holmes. Second was player buy-in and development to find some starters and depth players going forwarded in the rebuild. Wins are a distant third, but I wouldn’t say it’s “tanking” like some people have said. I feel the first two parts of the equation have been successful up to this point.

1 Like

Dont write these young WR’s career as over yet. Herman Moore only had 11 receptions his 1st year

1 Like

I don’t think this is a “tank” in the sense that the Madden dorks here want - intentionally lose for several years by trading any player of value for beanz, and then all of a sudden win the Super Bowl in year 3 because your rookies are hella awesomez.

This year is, however, an intentional ripping off of the bandage by dumping bad contracts and bums. That necessitated risk-taking at some positions for budget purposes, notably wide receiver. While those risks were justifiable in my opinion, given the situation and individuals involved, it’s also objectively true that those risks have turned out badly.

To add to that delicious shit sandwich is the fact that a solid third of the projected preseason starters on an already weak roster aren’t even playing. Going into the season, we already knew that this team was bringing a knife to a gun fight. After the first few games, it became obvious that it was a rusty, dull butter knife with no handle.

This isn’t an excuse why expectations should be lowered for years 2 and 3. There should be both cash to spend and the knowledge of where that cash should be spent next year. There should also be a bunch of game-tested depth already on the roster, given playing time because of the fiasco that is this year.

I’m hopeful that the staff can keep things afloat for the year without totally losing the locker room. If they can do that, I hope this crap year can really become a springboard for much better things to come.

3 Likes

Exactly, the cupboard was bare before they got here unless you want to blame them for letting Golladay walk, err, limp out of here. This season is a tryout for players and so far Flowers is failing as are lots of players that are only here because we needed bodies. They will have FA money and decent picks for next years draft, that’s where the rubber hits the road.

2 Likes

OK, so what SPECIFICALLY should he have done? Can’t wait to hear this one.

3 Likes

And last night wasn’t an anomaly.

If Goff won’t or can’t throw deep, if he isn’t accurate any more, if he can’t move in the pocket or evade pass rushers, we might as well have Blough in there at the moment. Boyle must be getting close to being healthy and I’d like him to get an audition. Goff was my biggest goof in expectations for this season.

1 Like

i think you are wrong—he does not want to spend big bucks on a free agent and a lengthly contract for a player in any position–nor–does he want to trade away picks to get a player—he is smart–building through the draft ,and then maybe spending on a player of need to get those few win’s everyone is hoping for—don’t give the farm away to make us couch managers happy—shoot–if i was him and running things–i would do the same as he is----just my 2 %

6 Likes

Our offense, despite not having any WR’s is ranked higher than our defense.

When teams really need to move the ball/score on us, they do.

1 Like

The best thing Holmes did in my opinion @ WR was not paying Kenny G.

Kalif Raymond has more catches, yards and TD’s than KG does this year. Raymond is making $990,000 while KG is making over 15 mill per season and of course he’s missing time due to injuries again.

5 Likes

Dude is gonna be a nice piece for us, when we get a legit #1
Raymond and Cephus will look a lot better, when we have a really good WR threat that will house it, if left unattended.

I want Metcalf from Seattle
White from Tampa LB
J-Will Denver RB
Ramsey Rams DB

That ought to help us out some.

2 Likes

I think Raymond is a great piece like you said, he just needs to be an ancillary guy and right now he’s basically our #1 guy….

2 Likes

You’re not alone

As much shit as Flowers has gotten, including from me, the guy must be a pretty good influence in the locker room. He does seem to play hard and mentor guys, I don’t think he’s a Jamie Collins type, dude just can’t stay healthy and when he plays he is what he is… it’s not his fault he got $90 mil from our previous GM… FFS SMH… ANYWAY, he does seem to be a good dude and a hard worker, and I think he’s a Campbell kind of guy. He just can’t stay healthy.

He probably knows he’s either going to be cut or have to make a massive restructure this off-season. Not so much because of his limited performance but because of his cap hit and overall limited contribution