I was wrong about Jared Goff

McVay showed this year that he’s not the boy genius the media hyped him to be. Remember all the chatter about his ‘photographic memory’ or how he can instantly recall any play he’s ever seen?

Might have been helpful last night if he could have schemed how to run the ball to win the game against one of the worst run defense teams in the league

3 Likes

It’s not that Goff is playing at “such a high level.” It’s closer to the opposite. Goff was a first overall pick with a salary to match. He’s not playing like 1OA. That current salary is going to be the floor, and someone will be willing to pay it. If Goff were a top-three QB I’d be happy to pay it but he’s marginal for his salary.

We should only pay Goff if he’s a top 3 QB. Got it.

2 Likes

I don’t think your premise carries any weight. Every top 10 QB gets the highest contract when their time comes. Instead, why not save back some money from this years pool to help cover a big chunk of his contract in 2024 so we’re not cash strapped by it.

2 Likes

We have at least a year before any contract discussions are needed with Goff. And yes, he will get a huge market contract when the time comes, but the Lions are suddenly a desirable destination and Goff won’t play hardball when the time comes for negotiations. We don’t have to pay a premium to get players here anymore.

1 Like

Good point. We’ll have to pay Goff like a top five QB no matter what IMO, but we might save some money at other positions.

1 Like

I think most of us thought he was a band-aid. We could get thru Stafford’s dead money and Goff’s contract in 2 years and with the beans get his replacement. “that Guy” was not available in last years draft so we were looking at this year possibly. AS the year played out and no QB looks to be the savior in this years draft and as Goff showed he can run an offense with quite a bit of efficiency we have all been swayed.

I TOO WILL EAT CROW and thought he was a 2 year QB in Detroit and not close to the answer. He has shown he may be the answer.

1 Like

Speaking of Raymond, what a good season he had. Most underrated player on the team. Very good on returns and had over 600 yards receiving as well. Only St. Brown had more receiving yards.

5 Likes

I share this concern to some extent. Luckily, Goff isn’t in the twilight of his career so he can’t really hold us hostage like Rodgers is doing.

I’d be thrilled to see him take less $ but it almost never happens. At the end of the day if he keeps performing you pay him in a way that makes him happy and keeps flexibility for the team

I still don’t know if he’s the answer long term but I’m not going to act like he stinks nor should we be looking to replace him.

I think it’s possible in today’s NFL for a quarterback to have a top 10 or even top 5 season but not be a top 10 quarterback if that makes sense

The difference between the two is that Stafford in his prime could carry the offense on his back. We weren’t always as successful because of defensive deficiencies during Stafford’s time. Goff needs a good supporting cast on offense to be successful.

Good on you, Nate.

Jared Goff is exactly what I thought he was - except maybe a bit better now given that he now has more experience, a chip on his shoulder, and a coaching staff and OC that allow him to co-create and free him to make decisions in a way McVay never did. Jared is a stud.

And, btw, he has a VERY strong arm. “Cannon” isn’t his default mode, as it seems to be with many strong-armed QBs, but, as on that throw to Raymond, he can gun it better than most and w/almost anyone not named Josh Allen. A 50±yds-in-the-air, running-left-throw-right, all-arm throw?

:open_mouth:

His numbers very well might be even better next year, w/improvement on the defense (more defensive stops => more offensive opportunities) and much more help from the skill positions (a LOT time missed by our skill guys especially in the first half of the season). Better defense and health are reasonable to hope for.

I also really hope Aaron Glenn IS the guy, cuz he’ll be back and IMO that defense is the biggest wildcard going into next season. If they can be merely average next year… my goodness.

Next year could be real special, y’all.

3 Likes

Goff came in last year and told the media “The gut punches will stop”

That’s our QB

4 Likes

In 12 years we only had a top 10 offense with Stafford twice. Once was the 2011 season with Megatron, Nate Burleson and Yupong and the other was the 2016 season with Marvin Jones, Golden Tate and Kenny Golladay. Our average scoring offense in the other 10 seasons was 19th.

3 Likes

Yes.
300px-Giga_Chad

1 Like

40 TDs and 8 INTs since halfway through last season and a high completion percentage. That’s elite QB numbers right there.

4 Likes

If every QB in the top ten gets the new record QB salary, that means you’re overpaying for #10.

I like Goff, I was never anti-Goff… but you guys are talking me into wanting him replaced.

No one would argue that those are elite numbers.

1 Like

For me I look at it like we traded a top ten qb for a younger top ten qb plus a bounty of draft picks. Hard to complain about that.

6 Likes

Me too.