I'm thinking the Lions should pass on defense

I think Tyree would have been the 5th DE off the board last year.

I keep seeing that.

Asking for a friend…. After listening to the Valenti and Rico show today in metro Detroit- I can’t help but wonder…. “Should we sign and trade for D, and draft O?”

Guys like Comish, Elliot, AA, E Brown, and Swaggy will all demand between 4-9M AAV or close to it. They weren’t worth half that before our coaching, and the stats compiled by gaining access to an abundance of snaps.

It’s time to run this thing like we expect to win, and not just “hope to one day soon.”

1. The above mentioned group would all have pretty modest “wars” if this was baseball and thus I’d try and spend that near 30MM AAV more intelligently.

2. Imagine CGJ at 13M, Cam Sutton at 9M, Robert Woods at 6M, and Wormley at 4M - about 32M

3. With Chark replaced by a Goff security blanket and blocking maven…Sutton as a day one solid CB, CFJ as an elite heavy NB, and Wormley as a Comish replacement…. I’m all in on the talent upgrade…

Draft-

1. T Wilson
  2. Bijan
  3. D Washington
  4. Bergeron
  5. Ika
1 Like

The rest of the league thinks they should pass on the Lions defense, too.
Is this the same thing?

2 Likes

Maybe. I’d take him over Johnson but I long history of dojng stupid sh!t

1 Like

Jim Carrey Squirting GIF

1 Like

like to have Gonzalas.

1 Like

I totally thought we were trading up for Davis too, man. LOL. I was happy when I saw us take JaMoss thoguh.

:muscle: :fire:

1 Like

It is a pretty simple concept. People are way overthinking this.

Points For: 453 (26.6/g) 5th of 32

Points Against: 427 (25.1/g) 28th of 32

Our offense is putting up 26 points per game, we need to get the defense to at least the NFL average of 21.9 ppg. Top ten is 20.5 ppg

A couple more playmakers on defense and depth. Change time of possession, helps our running game, which sets up the play action. That is what we are about.

3 Likes

Huh!!!

A few years ago, CB’s were 5’10" or 5’11"" and 6’ were premium.

Yeah, pass on improving one of the worst defensive units in the league for a RB that similar production can probably be drafted in a later round and an OG that isn’t a scheme fit. That’s the best use of draft capital! :joy:

4 Likes

What were the ratings for each unit in the last ten games?

2 Likes

I am laughing at all these posts about how we should go offense and I see posts in the FA thread about how we should sign our own defensive players first because the team won 8-10 to end the season. Yet when I question AG’s capability I am told he didn’t have any talent on defense that is whey it didn’t improve from 2021 to 2022.
I get adding another piece to the offense to keep it relevant, but all everyone was saying at the end of last season was “Get AG some talent and see what he can do”

1 Like

Why stop there, just look at the last 2 games…smh
our last half of the year schedule wasn’t near as tough as the first half. The defense saw the field less in TOP. Yes, there was some improvement but not near as much as everyone makes it out to be.

It was a simple question, more for my own information than draft related. My draft thoughts or leanings wont change on this answer fa will impact it

But carry on shakng your head.

OK my bad, sorry. Just having a problem understanding some posts that want the first 2 picks to be on offense.

2 Likes

I already called in sick to work the next day. lol

I agree…. And they should be more bullish-

Natty was spot on with Hutch, Joseph, Problem, Paschal etc- all showed a lot of promise, and some are already big stage worthy…. None had their NFL bodies yet though!!!

Mike Valenti made a great point on local sports talk radio yesterday… WE NEED IMPACT PLAYERS ON D IN 2023!!! When Rodrigo was taking snaps from Chris Board, or K Joseph from JuJu Hughes, it was easy….Buggs gave us nice snaps for his pay rate, but he’s a below average starter for sure…. I doubt many DTs outside of Carter are notably better than McNeill or even Buggs by week one…. Mike V was preaching Ramsey, Wagner, Bradberry, Hargrave, L David, Dean etc…. And I agree!

• Free agency is weird…. Proven defenders often get paid similar to replacement level offensive players….

Somebody pointed out that RB or WR success would be tied to where they end up… I agree 100%

Projected-
RB: Josh Jacobs- 13M AAV
RG: Nate Davis- 10M AAV
WR: JuJu - 14M AAV
TE: M Gesecki- 10M AAV

• corresponding D draft…

Gonzalez
Branch
Benton
D Henley
DJ Turner

• let’s say we drafted D and went all out in free agency on offense…… that’s 47M collectively-

Projected-
SS: CGJ- 12M AAV
CB: J Dean- 16M AAV
CB: C Sutton- 10M AAV
LB: L David- 10M AAV

• let’s say we drafted heavy O, and filled out the D in FA…

• corresponding O draft

Skoronski
Bijan
D Washington
K Benton
AT Perry

Maybe it’s my own bias- probably…. It just feels like Bijan could be an 1800 total yards type back, and Skoronski will be a Zack Martin level RG…. Washington both in the run game and red zone would be A weapon…

2 Likes

It’s not the height, but the weight. Denzel Ward was taken top ten in 2018 at 183 pounds, but generally the first round corners are 190+. At 181 pounds, Witherspoon may be a very good corner, but he lacks the ideal size to check the second box as a top ten worthy physical specimen. It doesn’t mean you can’t take him, but he’s a much better prospect at 6’ and 195 than 5’11" and 181.

In a draft where elite prospects may only be two or three deep on defense, you fall back on premium positions. Qb, De, LT…

QB is four deep and easily the most valuable position.
DE is one or two deep and likely second best.
LT has a couple top half of the first round talents, but the best tackle projects as a better guard in the nfl.

If you look at available prospects and consider positional value, there’s a good chance the most impactful talent available at six plays the qb position.

In a world where Juju and Dalton Schultz make 27-28M combine AAV…. And at the same time that is about what Hargrave and Tomlinson expect to get combined AAV…. It’s just hard for me not to want to draft offense and pay defense.

We need a LB to be better than AA in 23’…. Rodrigo was a top 3 rookie LB last year, and getting another rookie to play at that level long term is a fine, but for 2023 we’d regress at LB…

It’s amazing what Sauce did, but that was an EPIC year…

Add Stingley and McDuffie and Dax Hill to this team…. Sure they have potential, but let’s presume that is what Gonzalez, Forbes and B Branch could be….