I'm thinking the Lions should pass on defense

I agree with most of your post in a vacuum….

But if Jared Goff was a rookie in this class- he would absolutely be drafted before Will Levis and potentially at least one other. He had 4700 yards and 40 plus tds as a junior with garbage around him, was considered very accurate, had prototype size, and plenty of arm….

Fast forward and he fits the offense he helped design. Gets along great in Locke room, is awesome in the community, and just had a monster year.

There is zero doubt in my mind at least 1, likely 2, and possibly 3 of the QBs never surpass where Fields, Mac Jones or Tua are at….

Let’s presume that Stroud and B Young go 1-2 and another QB goes at #4…. Let’s say Richardson- who will remind Indy HC of Hurts?

Stroud
Young
Anderson
AR15

• Seattle?? Take Levis, Carter, trade down?

I can’t get behind taking Will Levis based on positional value when he doesn’t project to be as good ab NFL QB as the one we have….

T Wilson? Sure
Carter? If DC signs off on turd watch… sure
Gonzalez? Meh

if Gonzalez played like Spoon- we’d have a consensus

If Carter had Suh’s highlights and stats- all day

If Wilson runs and lifts like a Bosa or M Garrett? Sure

1 Like

That’s only if you ignore the production and base it on projection.

Stroud is the only QB in the draft with elite size, arm, production.

Every other player needs its suitor to ignore the warts.

What about Skoronski, who is a scheme fit.
Then all defense?

Not so sure what the problem with Charbonnet is with some here, he may have transferred from the Wolverines, but after watching him as a Ucla fan the last two years, Harbaugh blundered letting him walk, turns out he is far better than those he was behind the depth chart at UM

I’m all in on Bijan at 6 (unless of course Jalen Carter is sitting there) he won’t be there at 18 you can bet the farm on it, that being said Charbonnet imo would be a great fall back, he’s perfectly tailored for BJs offense

1 Like

While I agree w/what you say about the O, the D is better than ppl think. The defensive unit we field the second half of last year is not even close to the same as the unit we fielded at the beginning of the season.

That is simplification.
Yes…strenght of schedule plays into it, however, so Does health.

We’re gonna improve both sides of the ball this offseason. OL gets better, RB room gets better, all 3 levels of defense gets better.

Holmes is a monster!

I agree especially if we can pull off a trade and move down a couple spots

1 Like

sorry I can’t get behind "Lions should pass on Defense and draft Offense, when our Offense is a strength . IF we had a better D last season, we would have went farther yet ! I mean FAK at one point LAST SEASON, our defense was ranked 32nd.
yeah it hopped up some, but do you really think that is going to keep happening !? get real. we have no vets on our defense and teams march downfield easily, sometimes with big chunk plays WHY? because we couldn’t stop them from doing it…and our tackling is half assed. there is no way in hell our better level is sustainable unless we get some help, real help. I don’t care if we pick 4 defensive players and then go offense, have at it. but we can’t go all Offense.

Yes, I absolutely do.

What does this mean? Is getting real bypassing the fact that we got much better as the season went on?

they won’t. They’ll focus on trenches & run game (per usual). If they think OL is BLPA, I think they’ll go that route. If they really have faith in a defensive Lineman, I think they go that route. After that → BLPA with taking position into consideration.

Bradley is prolly gonna surprise us all. lol

it MEANS our Defense has been a plate of cold dog shit for over 12 years…but golly we luck out and raise our ranking in 2022 from 32nd and bump it up, to a level that has NEVER HAPPENED except for the one season we had a top defense…then idiots tore that apart, we never recovered. I recall Rookie QB’s looking like three year starters against us then…yeah we bumped up, but it will not stay that way if we don’t get real help on defense…as— I said before. that is what that means.

Rookies very rarely have the impact many are hoping for… On bad team it’s very possible for rookies to stand out because when you are losing by 10 and playing exciting football, the mistakes aren’t as obvious… There is a reason most coaches don’t even like playing rookies…

Here is some perspective…

Chark- 520 snaps
Swaggy- 460 snaps
Hockenson- 400 snaps
E Brown- 770 snaps

when you consider we don’t quite know what Jamo will be, we don’t know if Big V will ever play again, let alone at a high level, we don’t know if Jamal Williams will be back…

It’s pretty silly to pretend it doesn’t matter that a team that is about to lose “24 OF IT’S 52 TDS FROM LAST YEAR” is completely fine on offense seems really silly…?

We played half a year without Paschal, Romeo, Harris, and Da Problem… Even if we lose Comish- we get the other 4 guys back at full strength and last year they only played 800 snaps BETWEEN THEM!!! That is a lot of firepower to add to the DL that was pretty damn good…

By signing Buggs and Benito Jones back today our DT spot is already EXACTLY where it was the 2nd half of last year… No better, no worse…

Seeing Tracy Walker working out full speed with no boot is pretty encouraging, and we just signed a guy who would easily have been our CB1 last year… Our CB1 from last year was recovering from an achilles and is now a full year removed with his first NFL season under his belt… Jacobs missed half of last year and our D improved a LOT when we got he and the guys above back…

Okudah, AO, Hughes… Sutton, Okudah, Jacobs- we are 10 times better off at CB than we were in weeks 1-7 last year… and that is just day 1!!!

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

2 Likes

But not the last 8 games (not now)
Past is the past.
No more loving in the past. Welcome to the way things are now.

They already bumped, & much more bump is coming.

I’m cautious after being so awful for so long and then all of a sudden, it’s all good? I don’t think it holds, but I’ve been wrong before, besides I’ll probably have some dumb-ass DR appointment on Draft Day.

1 Like

It’s surely not all good… By the Jaguars needing a CB after Ramsey was traded and forcing CJ Henderson after we forced Jeff Okudah (when Slay left) tells you everything we need to know about CBs…

Gone are the days were Calvin or Julio line up and draw 2 of the 4 DBs over to his side and free up the field or FEAST on single coverage… Now it’s guys like Kupp, Jefferson, Diggs, Amon Ra etc feasting on finding soft spots in zones against 5-6 DB packages…

Having individual elite CBs is less impactful since they can’t really grab or bump, and with 5 DBs on the field at once, it’s more about avoiding the SUPER WEAK link, than it is about having a top 5 player… Sure it’s idea to find a Sauce, but they are far fewer and further between than many think.

Not sure if I’ll be here or not, but the fellas will catch us up

Good luck at your appointment , brother

2 Likes

…& they were not near as healthy. :wink:
Main improvement was health
2 was scheme switch
3 experience for young team
4 continuity
…many factors, & while what you say is true (“there’s not as much improvement as many are painting”)…the truth is in the mixxle
This defense will surprise many of you this year.

I’m crazy. But if Anderson and Carter are off the board, and we can’t get a trade back a few spots. I’ll reach and take Bijan at 6. That guy is a game changer

There is exactly 1 guy I’m sure is a top 5 pick in this draft. I think a lot of the other guys are overrated. No way I’m taking a RB at 6. Just not happening.

Tyree Wilson was a 3 star recruit and while he’s had some production, there was 35 guys in college football that had more sacks than him. He doesn’t generate forced fumbles either. He’s really a poor man’s Travon Walker that has been fabricated out of air because the DE class is so weak this year. That doesn’t even get into the fact that we don’t need a DE.

The offense only turning the ball over 4 times in the last 10 or 11 games. If the offense didn’t play almost mistake free football, the defense would’ve given up a hell of a lot more points.

The defensive improvement is being overstated by almost everyone on this board. They went from historically bad to bad.

1 Like

well A: I got to have an Echo or Echocardiogram. very uncomfortable , and surgery on my Left ear because the roots of a small growth there grew too deep… :face_with_spiral_eyes: