Is Jamarr Chase the preferred WR?

@Snags I love ya as a poster bud but I’ve seen you post this before and I find the comment and question to be odd…Because …, Arm length doesn’t matter for a LBer. That’s why no one really cares about LBers arm length. It matters for DL and OL though.

The answer is NO …

Do you think that 31 1/2 inch arms are small for a LBer or something? Do you know what the average iLBer arm length is? It is 32” so he’s 1/2” below the NFL average. Basically he has average arm length for a LBer.

Why do you think it’s a problem?

Ahhh … so this is where your going with it.

Are we drafting him to play DE or LBer?

His arms would be small for a DE and would put him at a disadvantage as a DE. I think that’s the main reason he made the switch to LBer at Penn state. At LBer his arms length is average and not a disadvantage for him.

So the questions are.

Do you think average arm length is a disadvantage for a LBer?

Do you think below average arm length is a disadvantage for a DE?

Funny you say not understand what you meant. I didn’t say he was 4.38 fast. I said pretty much verbatim, add .1 to that time and he’s still 4.48 40.
I said he ran a sub 4.5 40.

If you cherry pick what makes an athlete an athlete, you are correct. You decided to point out his weak points and I his strengths. The problem with your argument is, he wasn’t asked to do more than he did. Justin Jefferson was his teammate, an elite slot man in college. He was the guy asked to do all the things you say Chase can’t or doesn’t excel at. We have no idea if chase is capable of being an elite slot WR. Just as NFL teams didn’t like the fit of Justin Jefferson on Minnesota because they already had Adam Thielen who is an excellent slot man. But guess what, they moved Jefferson around and realized he can excel all over the place.

Chase is a bull, who can run (so he ran a 4.66 once, that’s accurate but my 4.48 is definitely not). Who’s to say he can’t separate from the slot? And before you say you didn’t mention anything about playing the slot, outside WRs often don’t create a ton of separation. Their route tree is different than that off a slot. And because chase isn’t a straight burner, of course he “has trouble separating.”

Point is, your role, where you play, and where you line up plays a major factor in not only coverage, but the types of routes you run. I would be willing to bet that if you line up chase in the slot, he will be able to create separation. I mean how much sense does it make that one of a WRs major strength is running after the catch or YAC, but struggles to separate?

Chase has no weaknesses. He might not be elite at every aspect. But theres a reason you will find him as a top 5 prospect no matter where you look or who’s evaluating. Which is saying a lot for a WR who isnt 6’3 210 who runs a 4.35 40.

Tell that to Jerry Jones and rest of the cowboys

With Jersey jungle all the way. Fine with chase but he’s #3 on my list of the pass catchers. D Smith for the win

Your missing the point bud.

But let’s first start with do you believe he’s 4.4 or 4.6 speed? He’s been timed ranging from 4.38 to 4.66. Don’t you find that odd? Do you believe his unofficial hand time speed changes how he plays? … because your basing your argument off his hand time speed instead of what he put on tape.

He doesn’t play like a speedster because he’s not one. He lost a race at LSU to Justin Jefferson who ran mid 4.4’s so he’s slower than Jefferson. He also turned in the slowest MPH speed of any WR being considered round one. This does lie it’s done by GPS chips.

But that’s still not my point. He’s not an athletic WR type who wins off his athleticism. Not like his team mate Jefferson, D. Smith or Waddle do. He plays closer to Jones and Golladay than he does Smith and Waddle.

Jefferson was my favorite WR in last years class. I had many a debate about him with people who didn’t think he was very good. I know him well and Chase too. One is an athletic WR who wins off his athleticism and one is a more physical WR who wins by his physically.

You argument is he doesn’t play athletic, doesn’t make sharp cuts and doesn’t separate by using his athleticism because he was not asked to play that way?.. . but his team mate Jefferson was asked to play that way?

Think about that hot take for a second.

Why is it you can’t accept that maybe their not the same type of players?

We can debate who we want as the preferred WR, but the closer we get the more I think it’s Waddle. The dude can fly. Electric athlete. This team clearly values speed at the WR position, and has stated they need to get faster. If I had to guess who the Lions have #1 on their board for the WR position? I’d guess Waddle.

I’m not sure which Cowboys team you are referencing. But you probably aren’t going to like the answer either way.

Jefferson was also my favorite WR last year. And not once did I say they were similar players, at all in fact. Not once did I say chase was super fast. I didn’t miss any point you made, but you completely ignored everything I sAid, twice. A talker, not a listener. So I’m just gonna completely move on.

And for the record, if Chase pro comps were truly somewhere between KG and Marvin, wouldn’t be anywhere near the consensus top WR and top 5 player.

This statement says otherwise but I digress.

I’ll leave you with these two scouting reports that pretty much say what I said.

Notice who the player comp is?
…, Kenny Golladay

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-nfl-draft-what-is-jamarr-chase-ceiling-in-the-nfl/

Golladay is a horrible comparison. Even the scouting report lists his after the catch ability along with his acceleration as some of his strengths. Both of those rank dead last when it comes to Kenny’s strengths.

Again, people make that connection due to contested catches. That is literally where their comparisons begin and end.

You win, I quit!

I do think that could be a problem in securing tackles with those stubby little digits, lol

So, just going off the 2020 Linebacker Arm Lengths, 31.5" is far from “average”.

Out of 44 LB’s, there were only only 7 that had less than 31.5". That puts him in the lower 16%-ish.

Keep in mind I had to hand-count all the guys and the site I used wrote the fractions weird like 32-6/8", so I might be off by one or two, this isn’t scientific is what I’m saying.

As a cover LB, arm length would matter. As a Rushing LB, arm length would matter, …from a tackling perspective it probably would too.

Like I said, the kid is a dynamic player but if you think Holmes is a statistician and uses all this data and 33" is the # that some teams won’t go under for an OT, well maybe there’s a # out there that Holmes wouldn’t go under for a LB?!?!

I’m just asking to see what your thoughts on whether the arm length comes into play when taking a LB this high in the draft?

People seriously get off topic here a lot. It’s almost like people don’t want to have a discussion, but rather talk and talk about what they want, and not listen to what others have to say :face_with_monocle:

as to the post/topic, my preferred WR is De Vonta Smith.

1 Like

C’mon, not THE silliest? Have to up my game. You seem to be the kingmaker on what NOT to do this year, because taking a player universally viewed as a top 5 pick at 7 is belly laugh ridiculous. So who is your guy again? Is it Chase or idiocy or are there other options that are both universal top 5 picks and not silly for us to take? Just so I can come back to mainstream intelligent draft plans.

Welcome to the Den a couple weeks prior to the draft…

3 Likes

I think we have to blend Holmes and MCD. Dan sort of balked at the advanced metric side of evaluation and seemed very comfortable with the tape. I’ll bet there are some interesting discussions going on between those two. I see MCD banging the table for a guy he believes is a dog in his gut, while Holmes may be the more detached diss-passionate evaluator. Hopefully the results will be great.

It’s not about being silly to take the player. Its about being silly with the reasons for taking a particular player. People’s expectations get completely out of whack when it comes to left tackles. They say stuff like “completely collapse one side of the defensive line.” That’s unrealistic. And that level of unrealistic expectation is what also leads some people down a path of wanting to “upgrade” from one of the only decent players we have on the team.

If the plan is to have 2 good tackles, I can get down with taking one. I would rather take a guy who is slotted to play RT though, because the cost of acquisition is less. I don’t think a team as void of talent as we are should be using top 10 picks to overinvest in RTs and backup QBs.

That’s totally fair. But you can’t force value. I think Sewell is the better prospect, than any of the WR’s. We will see if the NFL clubs feel the same. For us, worst case scenario, we have a highly paid vet RT in Decker on the right side and a perennial Pro Bowl LT on the left for peanuts (relative to the highest paid at the position). But I get your point and I’d love a trade down and taking a guy like Leatherwood in the 2nd and pencil him in at RT. When I go through the “we can’t pass” list at 7, it includes three guys. Lawrence, Wilson and Sewell. None of whom would have the 2021 impact of a Chase, Smith, Waddle cough or Pitts. But all the GMs who will do precisely that in a couple weeks fully understand that. They probably have somebody in those roles too and an argument could be made that its a luxury pick. Teams just starting off with new builds will tend to have a longer term lens than say BQ last year.