Jamaal Williams Signs with Saints

TBH, I know neither, with that said I trust Birkett more than Meinke.
Meinke reminds me of a mini Anthony Fenech??? , used to cover the Tigers for the Freep until he got too big for his britches. I think he is doing obituaries general news desk now.

1 Like

Was he the guy who had a dust up with a player and got taken off the beat? I don’t follow the tigers almost at all. I just wear the hats to represent the city…

Yes, with Verlander who is also an egotistical ass.
Problem with Fenech is made no effort to be neutral, I get being critical when justified and there was plenty to be critical of. However, he went above and beyond and it was obvious he had an axe to grind. It got to the point I couldn’t read his stuff as it was blatant.
Not smart and he paid the price.

I know POD does not get a ton of respect, but they are saying their sources are telling them the same thing as Birkett. I am not sure who you are getting your information from, but you were told similar to what Brikett said as well, correct? Maybe it is Jamaal’s agent feeding Jamaal bad information?

For example, Dave Birkett of the Free Press wrote that the Lions “were believed to be offering Williams a similar deal to the one they gave Montgomery.” Which lines up closely with what some sources have told Pride of Detroit.

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

2 Likes

Jamaal ISN’T saying the Saints offered him more $ so he took it. He is saying he felt the Lion’s offer was disrespectful.

That is telling.

1 Like

Not a huge Meinke fan, would take him with a really REALLY big grain of salt. And JW saying this also saves face for him, sad really.

3 Likes

Soooo, Lions allegedely offered him the same they offered D Mont, AND he felt disrespected?!..yeahhhh, I’m gonna have to tell Jamal to not let the door hit him and his pokemon tears on the ass on his way to a crappy team for less money. Gj Jamal, gj…

5 Likes

Could be there was a big difference in the guaranteed money. And I can see why a team wouldnt want to put too much guaranteed money in a contract for a 28 year old RB

5 Likes

Mienke is a terrible journalist. Always has been. I don’t trust anything he writes and won’t even read any of his work anymore.

To me, this is clearly the Lions not wanting the fan base to know they wanted a better athlete than the popular player, so they leaked information. And guess what, it’s working.

Jamal’s entire time here, he never said anything disrespectful about GB.

2 Likes

Think About It GIF by Identity

2 Likes

I dunno brother. I mean is it possible? Sure, but does it feel like what the lions are about? These guys are genuine. They talk to you. The players feel heard and loved. They feel connected. If this is what truly happened then this is contrary to how they present themselves and how they want to be perceived. Again, I dunno if its true or not…just throwing out a talking point…

2 Likes

But neither does Swaggy. I think BH and DC are genuine, but you won’t get a straight answer from them and you shouldn’t. I wouldn’t rule out someone in PR, maybe Disner’s department . . . I don’t know. The Lions do benefit from fans believing this. I’ve seen fans who absolutely loved Swaggy, now turning on him.

Also, the timing, almost immediately after Montgomery signing came the reports about what Swaggy reportedly turned down and why they moved on.

I think the connect between BH, Coaches and players are still there. But, regardless of what happened, I’m sure the players are going to believe Swaggy . . . well liked and very popular amongst players as well as fans. He just doesn’t strike me as a guy to make something up or as some have suggested, he doesn’t strike me as a guy dumb enough to NOT understand that he was turning down a true $18M/3yr contract.

Maybe things aren’t as rosy behind the scenes as the picture is painted, reporting THIS, should never have been leaked. All it does is damage a player that is well liked by fans, teammates and coaches. If I’m BH/MCDC, I’m really upset that the report was leaked at all. It’s not like leaking the Lions are negotiating with so and so or this player was in for a visit, etc.

I’m with ya.
For me it’s the fact that he’s leaving Detroit trying to tarnish what we’ve built the past two seasons (maybe unintentionally, but I don’t really care to be honest).
We’ve become an organization which players see as a place they can be trusted and respected. And for him to go out like this hurts.

That said, I can’t imagine this affects anything for now, unless this becomes a trend in the future (which I doubt).

I wished him the best up until his press conference today.
Now, I don’t. I hope his play declines heavily by accepting an offer from a team in shambles and eventually realizes how good he had it here in Detroit.

This makes me sooooo much happier to have Montgomery in our backfield now.
I’m 100% certain he’ll dominate behind our Oline.

2 Likes

To be perfectly honest if you’re a decision maker and you’re not lying a good bit during FA and the draft then you’re not doing it right

1 Like

I too was a little put off after this. He slammed the Lions for “their offer” and then proceeded to use a bunch of terms like “grit” and “iron sharpens iron”, two staples around this team that we’ve all heard 1,000 times from a bunch of guys since Brad and Dan have been here.

Like come on Swaggy. No need for this. Thank the Lions if you’re asked about it and move on.

I was really expecting an outstanding ovation when he comes to Ford Field this season. Now I’m not so sure he’s going to get it. Might be some clapping for him, but nothing like he would have gotten if he had just tipped his hat and moved on.

1 Like

The truth is Kyle Meinke and Dave Birkett are both reliable sources of information, if you ask me. I am not going to make too much out of this.

3 Likes

Jamal wasn’t willing ot shave his head
Montgomery was.
…it’s just business.
Holmes did what he has to do

4 Likes

I think Detroit lowballed Williams.

I also think they had their reasons (age being an important one).

The other thing this shows me is that Montgomery was all-in on coming to Detroit. I don’t think the Lions let Williams go if Montgomery isn’t letting them know he’s on his way and to just give him the word.

4 Likes