Jamaal Williams Signs with Saints

Yup, we tend to read into things more then we should at times. I think its a simple upgrade, if Swift goes down (which has been the pattern) I think we have a more effective “cowbell” type back in Montgomery and by having him in game does not tip our hand to our tendencies as much.

Love Swaggy and what he brings to locker room but this is about getting better and think we did.

1 Like

I think it was that fumble on the goal line.

1 Like

That contract pisses me off.

Why couldn’t we have done that?

If I am being honest….

there are a few scenarios here.

#1… Lions wanted Swaggy back… for “a price”…
and he didn’t like that price.

….or….

#2… Lions decided they could get a younger and and more dynamic RB for just a little more money… and didn’t really offer Swaggy much of a chance to come back.

I love what Swaggy did here…. he will be a favorite for a long time…. but I think the #2 option might have been the plan…

10 Likes

Just because he signed with one team for X dollars doesn’t mean that was the same money his agent was asking from another team. Cliff Avril wanted Mario Williams money from us, then had to settle for a deal much less than what we offered when the rubber hit the road. Overplaying your hand is a real thing.

8 Likes

This has to be what happened.

I’m interested in @QBHATER90’s take on the contract he ended up signing.

1 Like

This is a VERY REAL part of “testing the market”…

there are guys that have great seasons and think a big pay day is gonna happen…. and then when every other player is bargaining for the same cheddar…… the cheese doesn’t last long!!!

1 Like

Looks like holmes just wanted the younger and arguably better player than jamal

Sucks, but we still got a good one

I wish him well in Louisiana

1 Like

Honestly if you asked me what I would rather have…

Jamaal Williams 3/12m
Or
David Montgomery 3/18m

I would choose Jamaal. But oh well, over and done with.

Montgomery makes a Swift absence hurt a lot less. The value in that is pretty big.

4 Likes

Hold on you wanted to have both of them!? I’d much rather go with a young back in round 3 or so on a rookie deal. Get some fresh legs up in the house!!

2 Likes

The Saints probably are the favorites to win their division. Have a backfield that is equal or better than ours in 2022. Olave, Michael Thomas, and 1st round rookie like Flowers or Hyatt and their offense is pretty darn good. And we know they have a pretty solid defense.

I feel they are a little better than their patch job image people like to float around. A week NFC…you never know! That’s what we are counting on in 2023 also.

3 Likes

Good contract. We have to remember. Monty is younger and better and will be a full time player. Jamaal is a part time player. He’s not a feature back. He’s a compliment. When Brad had an opportunity to get a feature back for not much more, he took it.

In essence, Monty solves the Jamaal and Swift dilemma.

3 Likes

I personally would have never signed Montgomery and kept Jamaal.

Even with Montgomery signed though, I would have given Jamaal that deal. His intangibles were off the charts, that will be missed here.

2 Likes

You don’t like better, younger players!? I sure do!

Monty is also known as a very good leader and locker room guy! J-Will be just fine with the Saints… but we upgraded at RB and I love it.

4 Likes

It’s weird that Duce Staley didn’t push for him at that price. They just signed Miles Sanders and I’m sure his contract will top Jamaals.

Maybe my emotional attachment is clouding my judgement, and others on this one

1 Like

I was told by a poster on this board that $4 million/season would be an insult.

Either the Lions made a lowball offer (below this level), we made no offer (seems unlikely) or we made an offer we felt good about and he wanted more so we signed someone else.

5 Likes

Miles Sanders is also much better than Jamaal. Better than The Full Monty too.

Give me a choice between the three and it’s Sanders all day.

2 Likes

I remember that exchange happening, you were spot on with the 4 mill per season.

2 Likes

12 mil with 8 guaranteed.

1 Like