James Houston

He wasn’t - and still isn’t - reliable in the other phases of the DE role. He is a phenomenal pass rusher but not strong enough to set the edge and doesn’t have enough football IQ (yet) to play outside of 3rd and longs.

6 Likes

Guy is probably going to pass Hutch in sacks at this rate. Crazy stuff man. Holmes. The legend.

7 Likes

Houston’s nickname has to be The Problem

5 Likes

the 2022 draft is looking like the best draft since getting Barry in 1989… 32-33 years ago

8 Likes

Actually… it appears he was called “Da Problem” in college…
… which was written about back when he was drafted.

6 Likes

This kid has the ability to change the way we approach the off-season. If he keeps this up it may make the Carter or Anderson debate much clearer. Hutch, Houston, Pascal, Romeo, Harris, and Julian is plenty of edge rushing talent if Houston can be a double digit sack guy.

Resign Buggs and Cominsky and draft Carter and you have McNeil, Carter, Cominsky (I know he plays DE as well), Buggs, and maybe Levi.

That would allow us to put our resources into a starting caliber LBer and CB in free agency.

4 Likes

3 times in 2 games he’s blasted and bent around the outside edge to sack the QB. When, not if, OTs are clued into that, can he leverage that threat and bull rush off-balance OTs? He got swallowed up when he tried that, IIRC.

1 Like

With 5 picks in the top 75-90….
I’m not sure that Lions will really be too aggressive in free agency.

I suppose the major wild cards are Romeo and Vaitai…
if they stick around at current contracts…
I wouldn’t be surprised if free agency is a relatively quiet time again this year.

3 Likes

Houston had a nice inside counter move in college.
He wrecked OTs with it… but it was lower competition.
It will be interesting to see if it translates to the NFL…
though his long arms, use of leverage, and good explosiveness are good traits to help him succeed.

2 Likes

Our SB window starts in 2023, and it would be a waste to not make some moves in FA. That doesn’t mean pull a Jaguars, but one very good player and a couple mid level starters will go a long way. I still think we need to add some proven veterans to this group.

3 Likes

I guess it depends how many of our own free agents are re-signed… in addition to the Romeo & Vaitai decisions.

If Romeo and Vaitai stick on their current deals…
and guys like Swaggy, Chark, Evan Brown, Board, Cominsky, Elliott, and maybe Buggs get re-signed… there may not be a ton of money left… unless some restructuring starts to happen.

1 Like

I personally think we should restructure both Decker and Ragnow. They are highly likely to play out their remaining contract and with the cap expected to explode in 2024, we can afford to kick a small amount into the future. We have very little money pushed into future years compared to the rest of the league.

5 Likes

Peterson (JAX coach) claims that it was an illegal hit.

2 Likes

If you’e going to be good at one thing, let it be something important. I’ll take it.

1 Like

it was borderline - right at the waist. you can’t dive at his legs. he needs to watch that.

4 Likes

Pretty close.

1 Like

I remember seeing that during the game, I think he had to go at the waist because he went so low to get around the OT.

4 Likes

The OT pushed him lower, likely with both hands. That’s why it wasn’t a penalty.

5 Likes

6 Likes

I don’t believe it was. Houston just tackled him.

4 Likes