James Houston

Houston is reminiscent of a 20 lbs lighter James Harrison.

6 Likes

wait isn’t that a block in the back? :wink:

1 Like

I saw someone mention James Harrison yesterday as well. James Harrison was freakishly strong for his size. I personally think his style is more reminiscent of Von Miller, Robert Mathis, and Elvis Dumervil. Either way, it looks like we hit a Homerun with our sixth round draft pick.

5 Likes

Dumervil is an interesting comp

3 Likes

Dumervill I’ll is a perfect comp

2 Likes

It’s hard to comp Dumervil as he was probably 35+ pounds heavier than Houston coming out of college.

Dumervil was 257 lbs. Houston was/is 241 lbs.

1 Like

I think Holmes will bring in some more guys on 1 year prove it deals. Its economical and the coaching staff seems to embrace it in the way they approach those guys and their messaging.

That and there is a height difference between James Houston and 6’-6" Trevor Lawrence.

He reminds me of Elvis Dumervil.

3 Likes

Freeney & Harrison helped confirm that those body types can work in the NFL.

2 Likes

The hit was legal. Lawrence instinctively tried to spin out of it just like Goff successfully did with Travon Walker and that exposed his knees to what we saw.

QBs now know they should lay down and accept their fate when Da Problem is on Da Field.

9 Likes

If I told Houston he gets lower than a woodchuck’s nuts, do you think he’d take it as a compliment?

2 Likes

Or a Basset Hound’s balls…

GIF by Westminster Kennel Club

2 Likes

Yep. QBs just need to bend da knee!

1 Like

In 17 snaps, Houston is now 2nd among rookies in sacks.

7 Likes

textbook tackle, low and roll. We teach it at the youth level.

1 Like

1 sack every 5.4 snaps. We’ve found Lawrence Taylor in Tecmo Bowl.

9 Likes

My comp for Houston is Robert Mathis. who was 245 pounds and a freak off the edge.

Houston has played 17 snaps this year, 4 QB hits and 3 sacks. Unreal start to his career.

3 Likes

Yeah this is what I’ve said too since we drafted him. Both from HBCUs as well.

6 Likes

I’ve been pulling for him ever since I saw his draft phone call at his home. Tight, close-knit family. Hard working and will respect what he has and what he earns.

3 Likes

Just went and watched Mathis highlights. Great player. Comes in high for the strip sack, almost every time. A lot of plays he’s making a full circle and coming in from the backside. Looks a bit different than the dip and hard 90° that Houston has been doing. When Houston wins, he’s coming in direct and in a hurry. Dangerous man. I’ll take that Mathis production though. :+1:t3:

2 Likes