Jeff Okudah offers a promising video update on his injury recovery

He sure looks training camp ready…

2 Likes

I’m concerned that the Wide Receiver created so much separation thst you couldn’t even see him in the frame.

3 Likes

He’s going to be up against some decent receivers in practice … that will be when I am interested in an update.

It is promising to see him move around and not seeming to be mentally limited. We shall see how his explosion stacks up, hopefully he can figure stuff out when the games are live.

Never wanted a trade down more than that year. But we had Quinn, the Fontleroy boy among men. Didn’t happen. If we didn’t trade down, Okudah was a popular Den favorite along with Brown and Simmons. A few posters wanted Tua. One poster wanted Herbert, forget who that was. None of the non-QB’s were a good pick at 3OA.

1 Like

@NewYorkLion liked Herbert.
I didn’t post here at that time… but I also wanted them to pick Herbert and then work on a trade.

another update from Okudah… posting a 29-inch vertical. 🫣

That is… with a 30-pound DB in each hand… :open_mouth:

3 Likes

After “trade down”, I was in the Brown boat. Then we may have not drafted Alim, so theres that…

1 Like

I was in the “trade down” a couple spots (rumor was #5 was available but Detroit wanted too much) and take Isaiah Simmons.

He had 105 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 7 PD and 1 INT last year. He was bigger AND faster than Okudah and sure would look good in a Lions uniform right now. Even if we would have taken him at #3 I would have been happy. Guys his size/speed/ability don’t come around that often.

1 Like

This is what I wanted as well, though I’m ashamed to admit my guy was Tua, I whiffed on Herbert big-time. I think it still would have worked with Tua given the Chargers and Dolphins both went QB. But I also knew there was no way Quinn or Patricia was gonna do that, not with their jobs on the line. I think Brad would have handled that situation much better.

2 Likes

It’d be better if he had a 30-pound WR in each hand.

1 Like

Me too. I wanted to pick Tua and call the Dolphins bluff. I also was a Herbert skeptic having seen him in person about eight times. I had real reservations about his accuracy. But he and Allen have made me rethink how I should view QB prospects as it seems that the QB gurus/coaches have really improved upon the teaching of throwing accuracy.

A similar thing has happened with pitchers. It used to be the prevailing thought to get the guy with velocity and hope they can add pitchability. Now with Driveline it seems that teams are unafraid to take the opposite approach.

Reminder for draft nerds, first round of the MLB draft in a few hours.

Yeah I’ve had to do the same thing to an extent. But it’s also still possible that those two guys are the outliers. I had a pretty anti-Malik Willis stance despite him being comped to Allen in particular, it’s definitely possible he makes me look bad too. I feel better since he went so late, and he didn’t have early hype the way Herbert and Allen did (I remember hearing about them long before they were draft-eligible), so maybe he’s not a good comp. DJU could end up being a good comp.

He needs to prove it on the field obviously, but this guy has a tremendous work ethic and is fueled by a desire to prove all his doubters wrong.

I’ve said it before but I feel like it is going to be a special season for that young man and him and AO will form a very good CB tandem. In fact I believe this secondary as a whole will be a top 10 unit this year

4 Likes

You can have a good career at corner without elite speed. You just have to have great technique and instincts. Joe Haden wasn’t that fast but he was a solid corner for a lot of years.

1 Like

True, but given the choice, you’d rather have speed. As I said, using history as a guide, CB’s generally don’t go in the top 5 unless they run in the 4.3’s. Haden didn’t go in the top 5.

I think if we would have traded down from 3 to 7 for a 2nd rounder and then took Okudah, people would have had less problem with the pick.

2 Likes

I just want to point out that there are 300lb DL who post 30” verticals.

I am impressed that he’s doing well, and working out hard. I am sure these video’s help to build his confidence too.

This workout is a common exercise used to improve vertical height.

He had a 41” vertical at his normal playing weight pre injury. I’m sure he did this exercise then. I wonder what his vertical was? That way we would have a control to gauge it too.

I agree. You’d always rather have corners that can run sub 4.4. But you don’t really need two of those guys. If you have one true #1 you can have a corner like okudah on the other side and be good. It also depends heavily on the scheme. Your corners don’t need to be 4.3 guys if you’re heavy cover 2 or zone. You better have them if you run heavy man to man.

While holding sixty pounds worth of dumbbells?

They’re holding 300lbs

Okudah with his added 60 is at 265.

Like I said I wish we had a control to compare it to so we could see if this is impressive or not.

I guarantee you he did this exercise pre injury. I wish a reporter would ask him where he was at pre injury with the added weight. It’s a common exercise for players to improve their combine numbers so I am sure he knows.