I think Chase Young will be there at 3

I agree and don’t see how the skins can pass on an elite LT at this point! They are pretty deep on the DL for now…

They need to protect Haskins!

Also hope the Lions don’t take a CB at 3…

2 Likes

If young is there at 3, it’s a no brainer. We have the worst defense in the league and we have exactly ZERO players that can get to the QB. The Flowers signing looks like a complete abortion, but MAYBE if we get Young, he can at least draw some double teams on occasion.

I think the biggest issue with the Lions defense is that there is nobody that requires a double team at any time. Opponents can just line up man to man and take care of business. Half of Flowers sacks came against back up LTs. Starting LTs deleted him from existence all year. We need an impact pass rusher more than anything else, and it’s not even close.

1 Like

Well, there’s a fine line between overrated and overhyped

“… Chase Young was overhyped. Jeffrey Okudah was not. Young was disruptive to be sure, but he didn’t stand out beyond other great DEs Clemson has faced over the years. Zach Allen from Boston College last year and the bookends from the 2012 LSU Peach Bowl matchup (Sam Montgomery and Barkevious Mingo) stood out more.

Jeffrey Okudah may have been the best CB I’ve seen Clemson face. Of course, CB is tough to evaluate because a QB can just avoid throwing there if the receiver is totally blanketed. Nevertheless, Okudah was excellent. There were several times where Lawrence simply had nowhere to go with the ball because all his 5-star receivers were totally covered up…”

I think refs will have to bring extra penalty flags next year, just to deal with Okudah. College football and the Big Ten conference in general tends to allow the defensive backs to be very physical. Michigan State has made a killing off their D-backs being grabby. Okudah’s physicality, or shall I say, blatant grabbing and holding, is on a whole new level. While I think he may still become a solid NFL CB, I think he will give up a ton of penalty yardage, which will negate a lot of his value.

1 Like

I don’t get the fascination with Brown. He’s not in the same stratosphere as Suh, not even remotely close. Suh was leaner, stronger and faster. He was one of the most dominant DT’s that I’ve ever seen in college, right up there with Sapp. If you’re looking for Donald or Suh in Brown, you’re going to be really disappointed. As I’ve said in other threads, he’s more Snacks than Donald.

Also, the Redskins aren’t passing on Young. Never say never of course but it’s pretty much a foregone conclusion although you never know with the Redskins. He’s the best talent in the draft by a fairly wide margin.

1 Like

The Lions can’t lose with C.Young or J.Okudah , two great players at positions of need. You do not pass on either , I would prefer Young because our need is greater , if we covet Young a trade to #1 overall will be necessary I think. Cincy could move to 3 and still get Burrows or in my opinion the better QB in Herbert . The cost would be steep but if any year was possible for Quinn to part with high value picks this would be it, while trying to keep his gig and getting maximum impact.
We need a RT in the worst way as well and FA will have to net us our starter .

I’m not a big college football guy, and I definitely don’t fancy myself a “scout” like many here do, but watching Suh’s play in the Big 12 championship against Texas was dominance like I’ve not personally seen before or since. I think the phrase “man amongst boys” is overused, but this is one situation where it actually applied. I wanted Suh to be a Lion so badly after that game.

3 Likes

I don’t either.

But I have a feeling Washington trades out and a QB hungry team trades up.

I also think that MP will pass on Young. He passed on several Quality Edge guys last year for a TE. Obviously MP doesn’t put much emphasis on pass rushers. I think we pass and Lions fans lose it. Rightfully so …

Still wouldn’t mind seeing him finish out his career here. Not like we don’t need help on the defensive line anyways.

2 Likes

Suh’s final year at Nebraska was the most dominant DL season that I’ve ever seen out of a college defender.

1 Like

This is one of the double-edged swords about this board and its precursors. There are truly some very informed dudes who give some awesome perspective about prospects and their potential fit on the Lions. Information that you really can’t get anywhere else.

The downside is that it leads to roughly 30,000 threads about Madden-type trades for picks and unreasonable scrutiny about every single draft choice (complete with “he would have been available in the next round” goodness).

3 Likes

Totally agree. I love Suh. One of my favorite players of all time. I know some harbor ill will toward him for leaving, but I don’t. It’s business, just like when a guy gets cut or whatever.

1 Like

It’s our Super Bowl after all. I do find it amusing that I can watch film on a guy, every snap from 3 games, take notes, post them and then somebody who has done the same thing post the total opposite of what I saw. It’s truly an art and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Wrong. You’re just an idiot. Go watch the tape.

2 Likes

There, I fixed that ending for you :smile:

1 Like

I want Brown, but I absolutely agree with this statement. Hoping for a traceback scenario, where we can get a RB or DE, along w/Brown.

Also what I feel will happen.

Rivera and his very first hire, Del Rio, are going there to coach. I could very easily see their 1st pick to be defense.

If they take young then I think we will go with the OT. Either way Quinn seems to love the trenches

As much as I hate the idea of taking another tackle in the first, I’d have to agree that taking the OT offers the best positional value, talent, and future proofing for the team if they don’t want to pay him $16 mil per season.

I also agree that Brown is no Suh. Then again, Young is no Peppers or White and Thomas is no Ogden. I’m honestly not that enamoured with our options.

1 Like