Jeff Risdon on Edge for Draft

I guess better has some subjective value. The odds of one of the top players going to a SB and three Pro Bowls in seven seasons is pretty small

Maybe though. I think of any of them can do it it would be young. But he needs a whole lot more help then he’s going to get in Texas

Super Bowl and Pro Bowl appearances? Is that how we judge the quality of a QB?

Not in totality but it certainly one aspect. That’s why I said there is also some subjective value

1 Like

Paris Johnson is not a guard and needs to never play guard again. - The Resident Ohio State Fan who watched him play RG in 2021

Does a Paris Johnson go Oui-Oui rather than wee-wee?

3 Likes

Just now seeing this.

@Thats2 STAY AWAY from Paris Johnson for RG.

I’ll do a bit of a deep dive here for everyone. Paris Johnson was a top 10 overall recruit in the 2020 cycle playing LT in high school. He came in and day 1 was one of our most talented lineman, but he didn’t play as a true freshman because there were guys with more experience ahead of him.

Obviously his true freshman season ended with us getting beat 52-24 by Alabama in the national championship game. Ever since that game, Ryan Day has had an obsession with recreating that Alabama team at Ohio State, and rightfully so. That was one of the best college teams ever. CJ was supposed to be our Mac Jones, we had the WRs, and we were innovative enough scheme wise to pull it off.

One major key to that team was the sheer size of their O line that year. They had Evan Neal who is like 6’7" 350 or something, and Deonte Brown who was 6’4" 335 as a guard. Dickerson was their center. Alex Leatherwood was the other tackle and the other guard escapes me right now. Anyway, Ryan Day saw how well those big guys pass protected for Mac Jones, and since 2020 Alabama was by far the most efficient offense he’d ever seen in person, he wanted to recreate that at Ohio State.

We went into the 2021 season having to replace Josh Myers and Wyatt Davis who both went to the NFL. Nicholas Petit-Frere was a former 5 star returning for his senior season who slotted into the LT job moving from RT because he was our best lineman at the time “allegedly”. This moved Thayer Munford, the most experienced lineman on the roster, out of the starting lineup once big 6’8" 360 Dawand Jones was slotted in as the RT, theoretically becoming our Evan Neal. Ryan Day wanted the best pass pro line he could get for CJ since football was at this time clearly progressing towards passing offenses with smart progression based QBs, so in order to get the best pass pro he could for his inexperienced QB, Ryan Day decided to play 4 tackles on the offensive line. Thayer Munford moved from LT to LG, and the phenom Paris Johnson would get his opportunity as the RG since he was too talented to not see the field. Luke Wypler took over for Josh Myers at C in a pretty seamless transition.

What resulted was exactly what Ryan Day had envisioned. Up until the Michigan game, that O line was arguably the best pass pro O line I’d ever seen at Ohio State, at least talent wise. CJ had all day to throw to Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, and Jaxon Smith-Njigba, which obviously caused a lot of problems for defenses.

However, the HUGE issue with that offensive line was we could absolutely not run the ball to save our lives. When you play 4 tackles on the O line, those “guards” can’t exactly pull. We never really even tried pulling Paris because he wasn’t any good at it, and Thayer pulled occasionally but he was the least talented of our lineman, so it never really worked out. Zone blocking wise we were better than power, but we weren’t exactly great at that either. Our “guards” held back our running game all year and when we needed to run the ball to be successful (Oregon because of CJ’s hurt shoulder and Michigan) we couldn’t do it.

Once NPF and Munford went to the NFL, Johnson took over at LT where he shined this year.

Moral of the story is if you take Paris Johnson to play guard, not only are you wasting his potential, because he’s really a tackle, but get ready to say goodbye to your running game.

@Thats2 if you think Torrence isn’t a scheme fit as a guard then Paris Johnson really isn’t a scheme fit. They’re similar players as guards, except Torrence is a lot better at playing in a more condensed space as a guard and he’s more of an interior road grader.

4 Likes

Really great synopsis….you remember Matthew Burrell by any chance….OL prospect who left OSU after a couple years….think he left like 3-4 years ago.

Actually that name does ring a bell. I don’t remember a ton about him though, if I’m being honest.

Edit: I was right thinking he was on the team during the mid 2010s. I seem to remember there was a big-ish deal about him committing because he was a top 100 recruit, but I can’t remember him leaving and definitely didn’t know he ended up at Sam Houston State.

2 Likes

Paris Johnson’s legs are so long…risky to take the body type. He looks like he already has osteoporosis and arthritis…

Lions should target Darnell Wright to play OG and he has the potential to be a RT in the future…

What do you think if this?

I did make a trade down, but a QB needy team made this possible…

1 Like

I feel like Commish played outside for Harris but went back inside when Paschal was healthy.

There are many parts to QB accuracy, and mechanics are just one of them. A QB who can hit a stationary target consistently can’t necessarily hit moving targets consistently. Hitting moving targets requires mental imagery and processing. Some QBs are “more accurate” simply because they process moving targets better. Think about it like this. You can have all of the mechanics perfect and two people with a gun are going to have different success rates trying to shoot moving targets. Same gun. Same mechanics. Same moving target. Different results.

3 Likes

He wasn’t an impact player, ended up leaving and going to a small Texas school……was friends w his dad and family when he was a kid. It was a funny period of life randomly met and became friends w two different people through work who had kids who eventually went to OSU to play….neither really made it.

I can't speak for Thats2 but I would have no problem taking Paris Johnson at 18 overall. I highly doubt he would be available because he is the best left tackle in this draft. I'm not a Buckeye fan but I have watched him for the last 2 years. My intent would be to play him at RG this year and eventually replace Decker at LT. The way he moves in space and engages at the 2nd level he would be a perfect fit at RG in our offense. At the point of attack he is much more physical and violent with his hand punch now than he was the previous year but I would assume that is just him working and being a year older..

this

This could not be further from the truth.

I’ll gladly eat crow, but I bet you can’t find more than like 5 plays all season where Paris pulls and is effective playing guard from 2021.

Definitely not more than 10.

1 Like

This had a lot to do with him moving back to his natural position at LT. He’s clearly more comfortable playing with the space that comes with tackle and you see that on film. He’s always been really physical, but he was just so out of position at guard in 2021 that it didn’t really show up because he never really knew what he was doing.

2 Likes

He’s not the best CB in 2023

2 Likes

And really the issues aren’t about his mechanics. He doesn’t need his throwing motion changed. He’s got a great release. What he needs to improve is getting better consistency in his footwork and not relying so much on his arm scrambling out of the pocket - where you are right mechanics can breakdown on the run. But if you are a GM who believes in his coaching staff’s player development this guy is a total freaking stud and who wouldn’t want to work with him. His ceiling is astronomical and while TNut talks about risk, he isn’t talking enough about reward. This guy’s ceiling rivals the very best QBs in the NFL. You have to take into accouint this was his first year starting in the SEC and he improved as the year went on. So if you can see a path coaching wise, he is going to garner strong interest.

Wow, 13 hours without a like or reply. That was a good one.

Sounds perfect for Houston or Carolina or the Jets.