Jordan Davis - Love this dude

The data suggests he might be. While RAS isn’t everything is does show raw potential. I think this thread is going to be very fun to come back to after week one and see if any of us (including myself) have changed their opinion.

It’s all speculation but it’s been a fun debate.

1 Like

Physically he’s as gifted as they come but as you know, athleticism doesn’t correlate 1:1 as to their play on the field.
I just don’t see the strength in him that these other guys had.

1 Like

I really think it might be partially how Georgia used him and that he was allowed to be lazy as well. He has a great attitude. If someone can get through to him that he has to work his a** off now, I think he could be a superstar. Like I said, his attitude is great, but the work ethic has to be raised.

3 Likes

This is where I have a little problem with RAS…

In this instance, we’re talking about an interior defender.

Now, if I asked you what the ideal height was, what would you say?
And with that in mind, whose height should have the higher score?

1 Like

Watching his interviews, I think this dude is gonna be a really nice professional with a great attitude. Nothing about him screams “slob.” Just a good, young, human that wants to do his job well and support his teammates.

4 Likes

I agree with every syllable of this.

Still think Jamo will be special.
Agree w/my brother who said DT heavy draft next year, and that Brad saw it coming.

As for this year…THIS post applies.

I’m guessing Brad did the right thing long term. Jamo is more special than what usually comes out. I think he’ll be on par with Chase in Cinci…possibly higher. Top 10 for sure. Maybe top 1. He’s Randy Moss but shorter.

2 Likes

I too wanted Hutch - Davis. When they traded up I almost dropped by brew and didn’t blink for three minutes. I sighed a little when they drafted Jamo; that lasted about two seconds until I remembered he could have outran a rabbit in that championship game. I root for Davis, like him, wish him the best. But he’s not the Lion now, Jamo is.

3 Likes

I feel like he IS as strong, but what’s weird to me…He appears to lack hand strength. When I was watching his hi lights before the draft, there are a lot of plays that he blows the pocket up, gets to the guy, and someone escapes his grasp. That happened in his first NFL game too. He’s still disrupting, but he needs to work on hand strength. I don’t think I’ve said that about a non-QB before. Get some hand grippers, bro.

2 Likes

I would say you are about to pull out Aaron Donald because his RAS reflects he is not elite in those categories while being the most dominate DL in the NFL lol.

I agree that the size of the fight in the dog is as important as the size of the dog in the fight. That doesn’t change my mind however regarding JD. I have stated in other threads that I think his best NFL comparison is William Perry of the Chicago Bears and I’ll stand by that.

1 Like

Love this observation and I think it’s’ dead on and accounts for some of his stat issues. He doesn’t have the hand strength to rip guys down with 1 arm like he should when he gets a paw on them.

1 Like

I hope Ragnow handles his ass. Not predicting it though. I hope we go no huddle and wear him out.

Yup! it’s tough to find a truly tough WR. Jamo is a badass mentally and physically. his guts and determination will help us a ton. I am with you on all of this too.
Here’s my hope and what I think Brad is up to…
Jamo + DT from next draft > Davis + WR from next draft.

Fingers crossed.

Clearly, they have done every…single…thing they can to assist Goff.
If he can’t cut it now, he’ll be gone very, very quickly.
Also → I expect Goff to do juuuuust fine.

I don’t think thats specifically where he was going. Being super tall is something an interior defensive lineman would have to overcome. Its not an advantage. The way the score reads it is giving Davis credit for being taller than Ngata. When in reality he should have a lower score for the height rating than Ngata.

5 Likes

I can see those long arms and height closing down passing lanes too. I think he’s gonna do great.

Being tall usually means less athletic, but not in Davis’s case. He’s supremely athletic. I’ll take the height, that makes it harder for the QB to see and makes it that much easier to knock down passes with his hands up.

1 Like

I don’t know why he wouldn’t go to Aaron Donald it’s a great point IMO.

1 Like

That’s all subjective or a matter of opinion. There’s really no “ideal” height or weight. Aaron Donald is 6’1", Calais Campbell is 6’8".
Height helps with batting passes down but hurts when it comes to leverage but too short isn’t good either.

Do they actually score guys on their height and weight or do they just use it to say like for other guys this tall, this player is in this percentile for 40 time or vertical or whatever?

2 Likes

In the charts above it scored the height. Ngata received 8.1 and Davis received 9.92. Thats when @LineBusy made his comment in response.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s where I was headed with it. Not so much a commentary on Davis as the score he was given. To me, Ngata would be much closer to 10 on the height score than Davis. What Davis becomes in the NFL remains to be seen. I’m pulling for him. I definitely would’ve welcomed him with open arms if Detroit had taken him. But, if you want to grade a 330+ NT/DT type prospect, his grade is slipping the further he gets above 6’4" or below 6’2.

3 Likes

Not ideal but we’re also just speculating. Who knows when jamo and paschal will come back and contribute. I’m good with them taking a redshirt year if it means they’ll come back healthy and produce at a high level.

1 Like

Height really is subjective. It all depends on the player. Marcus stroud and Marcus Henderson for Jacksonville back in the day were 6’6 and 6’7. Both were monsters that I’d happily take on our dline. Height really only factors in depending on your athletic ability. Dan skipper is 6’10 and struggles to block anyone. Jon runyan was 6’9 and was an animal of a tackle.

3 Likes