Jordan Schultz says Saints may trade up

Correct. So if the Lions really want to trade down and you’re hearing rumors of a team like NO wanting to move up, then you’d need to go get the trade if you want it. BH would need to get them on the phone and offer to accept off-chart value.

Hutch
Willis
Thibz
Icky
Sauce
Neal
Hamilton
J Johnson
T Walker
G Wilson
D Lloyd
D Stingley
J Williams
C Cross
D London

That would be the nightmare sitting at #16 and #19.

J Davis and Burks? I think I’d have to stay top #11-12

Mcduffie, dean, davis, olave, williams, burks, linderbaum… there are plenty of guys even in that scenario that i would love to add

2 Likes

This thread is the ideal and (maybe?) realistic scenario and now I need it to happen. It’s made me “meh” on this draft to excited if Detroit can end up with 3 firsts.

YES!

I think the #2 pick could be in play if a team loves a QB. Doesn’t anyone think that the Texans could be thinking QB? Have to jump ahead of them.

2 Likes

Can we all agree to never put these three names in this particular order again?

Disgusted Jim Carrey GIF

6 Likes

But without Donald the whole thing falls apart. They’d have a poor pass rush without Donald. Ramsey is a good corner but isn’t as elite as he’s made out to be. I don’t think he’s at the level of revis, woodson, Bailey, sanders ect.

Without a pass rush the rams secondary gets torched. There’s a big drop off in talent after Ramsey. And with no need to double team the rams dtackles it’ll make the rams linebackers less effective.

1 Like

Anything’s possible, but they just picked Mills last year, and he did OK without a good team around him. I think they want to see what they have in Mills.

Now’s the perfect time to reiterate an important fact about the NFL.
There are fewer prospects with 1st round Grades than there are teams with 1st round Picks.
Every year.

The typical fall-off is around pick 14 - 17.

When we advocate for picking at 16 and 19, we’re essentially stating that we’d like to convert our 1st round prospect into possibly two 2nd round prospects. You’re right on that fringe area with both picks where you hope there’s a run on QBs that will push the 1st-round graded prospects down to your pick.

I want nothing to do with Thibz Icky Sauce…

1 Like

you could trade 19 and 32 and move up to 3 again and get hutch ya? maybe? then still have 16 so that nets you a more talented player, although this draft drops off to ‘good’ pretty quick, but that good lasts longer in the draft.

Strangely enough, this is a year I’m ok with pushing picks back and getting more of them. I’ve said it before, I think this is a very deep draft after the top guys are gone. The Lions need starting caliber players. They need to raise the talent level of the entire team.

You can do that with picks in this draft up until the mid third easily.

The Lions have several guys on one year deals again. More picks mean replacements to let them go if desired. Injuries happen in the NFL. You need quality depth at every position.

Take players with what picks you get. Deal with the cap ramifications of contracts coming due when it happens. Every other team finds a way to make it work.

1 Like

Would you have rather had picks 16, 19, and 49 in 2013 or the No. 2 overall pick?

In 2020, Nos. 16 and 19 could have netted AJ Terrell (actually went 16) and Justin Jefferson (went No. 22).

A number of us have previously commented that it’s less about where you pick, than who you pick.

The Lions drafting history is replete with examples:

Terry Fair over HOF WR Randy Moss

Bryant Westbrook over HOF OT Walter Jones (taken the very next pick and made worse by the fact that the Lions needed an OT and took bust Juan Roque early in Rd 2 when Sam Madison would’ve been available)

Reggie Barrett over HOF CB Aeneas Williams (taken the very next pick)

Mike Williams over DeMarcus Ware

Aaron Gibson over Jon Jansen

And, for the “this is all in hindsight” crowd, that’s true, but the better personnel departments have far more hits than misses because they do a better job of evaluating talent. It’s why teams like the Ravens, Packers, Steelers, Patriots, etc. seem to consistently pick in the bottom 10 of Rd 1, but still manage to find good players.

1 Like

Walter Jones would have been a better pick of course but Westbrook was about to turn into a absolute lockdown corner and then his achilles blew out. His play that last season was amongst the best Lions CB I’ve seen in my lifetime. Peak Slay would be the only guy i can recall playing at a higher level since I’ve been a fan.

1 Like

Carolina, Atlanta, Seattle, are all threats to draft a QB. If they have a guy they want they probably have to jump the Panthers.

2013 is a year that had two G’s ranked with 1st round grades. When you take them out, the top 4 (and only remaining prospects with 1st round grades) were 3 OTs and a DE. Without using hindsight, I would easily have taken Joeckel or Johnson over any combination of later picks. They were that much higher on the board.

Crazy thing…. looking back at 2013 draft…
only 3 players in top 3 rounds are still with original team. Lane Johnson is one of them.

The other 2 were picked in 3rd round.

Travis Kelce.
Keenan Allen.

1 Like

1 Like

The trade with the saints mixed with Zierlines’ mock 3.0 (with my best guess at second rd)

16 jordan davis DT

19 Jameson Williams WR

32 Nkobe Dean LB

34 Dax Hill FS

49 J Brisker SS

Yes i am missing an edge here… but we might get lucky with a 3rd rounder or players returning from injury. We get the 2 starting Safety’s needed for a 4-2-5 base and the heart of that Georgia defense. Id focus on TE, OG and BPA for the late rounds.

1 Like