Josh Allen or Joe Burrow....whose better?

I think we spent the year down to the fourth and fifth string RGs. Our protection was below average. I think were it worse, it would look more like last year with shorter quicker throws and more run reliance.

Last year our team had a carousel of Oline players and a cobbled together WR group and Swift out. Goff had pretty good stats and finished the season as one of the top four QBs in the league

I mean, there’s a lot of opinion and speculation in the scenarios you present, but if we are looking at evidence I think it’s safe to say Goff can be successful in a situation that falls short of ‘perfect’

3 Likes

But when we had the injuries to our receivers Goff went through his worst stretch.

3 Likes

I agree with Burrow as well especially with the injuries on the oline. It’s impressive imo

1 Like

Mahomes - decently mobile
Burrow - decently mobile
Hurts - mobile
Prescott - decently mobile
Purdy - decently mobile

You don’t need Mike Vick or Lamar Jackson, but you need a guy who can get yards when you need them.

2 Likes

I agee with what you’re saying. I think the situation had to be more perfect for Stafford and brady to win championships ie online, receivers, defense etc.

1 Like

The rebuttal would be Eli, Payton and Brady won 11 super bowls combined. Most posters on this board can run faster than those 3.

3 Likes

It’s a plus but you dont “need” it. Mahomes and Burrow are elite passers who win with their arms but yes the added element of mobility is a plus. The rest on that list are on great teams. I mean put Goff on the Cowboys or Niners and they would be better then they are with Purdy or Dak in my opinion.

3 Likes

Brady made Amendola, Edelman, and Wes Welker household names. These guys are 2nd stringers on a lot of teams. He’s the goat for a reason.

4 Likes

with very little weapons available and a struggling Oline he didn’t look great against The Pats or Dallas. When your number one receiver is hurt, your deep threat is out, your number one RB out your top three starting RGs out not many QBs are going to be at their best

But that doesn’t exactly support a conclusion that he ‘needs everything to be perfect’. I keep referring back
to what ESPN wrote when grading Goff 15th best player in the NFL

… Goff finished the season fifth in QBR and led an offense that ranked third in EPA per dropback, only behind the Chiefs and Bills,” Walder wrote. “And he did it without a lot of help from teammates. His offensive line was average in pass protection, and while Amon-Ra St. Brown was very good, the Lions’ receiving group wasn’t particularly impressive as a whole…

5 Likes
1 Like

I never said it did. I’m just pointing out that when it fell the most short of perfect, he did in fact play his worst.

My point has never been that he needs everything to be perfect, just that when it’s not perfect, he’s not the sort of guy who’s gonna lift us up. Those are two different things.

2 Likes

So you’re telling me Goff is Josh Allen? :upside_down_face:

Sure but that’s pretty true for even elite QBs. Remember SB LV? Mahomes, whom I think we all agree is the best QB in the league right now threw two picks and had a 52.3 passer rating. Lowest in his career to that point

He was missing his left tackle Fisher and right tackle Schwartz. I guess when his Oline fell most short of perfect he also did in fact play his worst.

1 Like

Was everything for the Lion’s offense been perfect when we went 8-2? Did Goff lift us up during that stretch?..just asking

1 Like

wanna say our run game started to struggle late. The YPC went way down. If only we had a QB who could go on a hit streak and lift up the offense

1 Like

Not to mention our WR group is still not on par with other teams that went on a 8-2 stretch.

1 Like

I thought maybe Goff lifted our offense during that stretch…but maybe not?!?
If Goff didn’t carry us on that stretch, then who did?

3 Likes

Ben Johnson silly goose

2 Likes

Diving into the minutiae of what was perfect and what wasn’t isn’t something that interest me at all lol. I don’t think any of us could even do it without knowing the calls, etc…

My main point can be summed up best by Daniel Jeremiah:

I think Goff is a trailer (in fact this tweet was in reference to Goff). You guys think he’s a truck, so be it.

3 Likes

I actually thought he was a QB

1 Like