Passing defense - 30th
Rushing defense - 28th

Team defense - 26th
Passing defense - 32nd
Rushing defense - 21st

Team offense - 20th
Rushing - 30th
Points per game - 20th

wE dOn’T nEeD a rEbUiLd! JuSt sOmE tWeAkS!

That’s something I could also totally see happening. I am genuinely curious where all of the people that wanted a QB last year seem to be now. Maybe they thought Tua was a can’t miss prospect and that he’s better coming out than Fields is even with the injury concerns?

Bump…

Definitely didn’t see it tonight… Who still thinks Fields is better than Lawrence?

1 Like

I have a feeling that Fields might drop unless he just shines otherwise. He had one drive today that showed his potential. I didn’t see the 4th quarter, so maybe he did something else.

His personality and potential might have him in the top 5, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see him fall a bit.

1 Like

I have only watched Fields the past 2 games. I’ve seen enough, NO THANKS!

1 Like

This is kind of funny because I started as a Fields skeptic and last night I saw the things I wanted to see out of a potential starting QB in the NFL. In particular I liked how he made accurate passes into tight windows under pressure. I also liked that when he was taking alot of heat he knew where his throw away receivers were instead of taking the sack, throwing the ball into harms way or getting intentional grounding.

I wish I had time and access to technology to pull up a side by side comparison of the types of NFL level throws that Fields had to make over and over again compared to Mac Jones…who barely had to make any NFL throws all night. What Mac Jones experienced isn’t realistic to anything in the NFL, minus maybe a few Lions defenses over the years. :rofl: It doesn’t mean he can’t do it, it just means his game film from last night is almost completely worthless in terms of projecting him to the NFL. Fields film was different. There was alot that you wanted to see in that tape if you look closely.

Its a long process to evaluate this draft class, but my instincts are putting Fields ahead of where I had Haskins and Tua but not quite as high as Herbert and Lawrence.

1 Like

I wonder if teams will evaluate him differently because of that. With Burrow last year, you could tell he was the engine that made that offense go. With Jones, yeah his completion percentage is ridiculous and he has amazing stats, but his O line would be better relative to his competition than the Colts line, his receivers will never be that open, ever. You can go on. Talent being equated I think hurts him a bit.

Its tough and part of the fun of projecting talent. I remember many years ago I missed one of the best parts of Peyton Manning because I didn’t know what I was looking at. Back then to me if you throw a 5 yard pass to a future NFL wide receiver and he takes it 60 yards to the house…that’s the receiver not the QB talent. Years later I went back and realized it was Peyton recognizing the defense, checking to the play and then placing a perfect ball with perfect timing that allowed the receiver to catch it in stride instead of getting tackled for a short gain.

3 Likes

He played like dung in the first half. I thought he played okay in the second half but OSU brought a knife to a gun fight

I’d still love to draft him at 7 but i do understand the trepedation.

I think he’ll be there at 7 now for those that that is important for. I don’t see how the Jets can say “He’s better than what we have”

The semifinal game still happened.

That proves to me he can be a good pro. I think last night proves he could be a bad pro. I don’t see how the Jets can pass up on someone like Penei Sewell or even take Smith at 2 given the now known risks with Fields.

Are you saying the same thing about Devonta Smith? Because if you aren’t, you’re a hypocrite.

I prefer mobile QB’s, because I feel like it simply gives more options against a defense that has a great interior d-line. But you can still pile up wins with a QB that moves well in the pocket, but isn’t fast. ( Ahem, Brady)

Mac Jones was definitely driving the more powerful car last night, but what is he supposed to do … ask Saban to let him run with the 3rd stringers so he can prove he’s a good QB?

He outperformed Fields last night. I give him full credit for that.

But that’s the thing… production doesn’t equal ability. QB production relies on 10 other guys beating 11 other guys. And then field position, coaching, etc all contribute. It’s why pat mahomes only wins half of his games in college. It’s why guys like graham harrell can lead the ncaa in passing. It’s why many of us on the board argue that QB wins is not a meaningful stat… it says nothing about a QBs ability.

It was so obvious to me that Fields was hurt. Not gonna take anything away from him because of that.

Being hurt has little impact on seeing the field and pocket awareness. Fields is lacking in both categories.

2 Likes

He’s not, that’s why I said a few weeks ago that Darnold would be the 2nd QB taken in this draft. Fields is #4 on my list right now, behind Lawrence, Lance and Wilson.

Tell that to the 2012 Colts.

New front office
New coaching staff
New QB
60% roster turnover

Went from 2 wins to 11 wins. Didnt win a play off game in 2012, but won one in 2013 and two in 2014.

Ok, but his bread and butter, that works for him, is being a dual threat guy. Once Sermon went out, it was clear we didn’t have a run game. Fields not being healthy to run the ball was a big deal.

He’s injury prone.

1 Like

I like Fields better than Darnold. Maybe not Freshman Darnold. Though i still liked him coming out Darnold’s RS Soph year was pretty damn meh.