Latest Mock, Happy?

I’m still pissed that the lions never made a run at Charles Woodson after the raiders let him go. His only offer was from Green Bay. Not saying he would have picked Detroit, especially at that time with that coaching staff, but it would have been great to have his talent in the secondary. The only corner I’ve seen force fumbles as much as woodson was Tillman. Charles really could do it all. My all time favorite corner.

2 Likes

Noticed that as well, but saw the same from Cam Smith in the Clemson game, Porter in the OSU game and Phillips in the USC PAC championship game. Best CB play I’ve seen this year was Gonzalez and Sainristil, but I watch most UM games and don’t get to see many games outside of the Big 10 conference.

1 Like

You can say the same about RB, look at the FAs this year and the market price is less than most other positions.

Since the Rams started thoughtlessly winning I’ve been flirting with the idea of taking Bijan Robinson with our own pick after taking a cornerback with the Rams’ pick. I understand the trepidation with taking a running back given their susceptibility to injury and their limited shelf-life.

This said, there’s a point when positions are devalued to the point that they become undervalued. The running game has shown a resurgence this last year across the league. And I do think that the Lions offense still needs elite playmakers. We’ve seen the difference someone like CMC (with his injury history) has had on the 49ers. And we also saw how much more dangerous the Lions offense looked with Swift at the start of the season - and Bijan should be a significant upgrade on Swift. Holmes has shown that he’s willing to take a risk on someone who he thinks is a difference maker and it’s difficult to see how they can find someone who would make such an immediate difference as Bijan with a pick in the late teens. I’m also not sure that I agree with the argument that it’s okay to take a comparatively mediocre running back on day 2 but somehow a terrible allocation of resources to take a potentially elite running back towards the bottom of day 1.

I still think that -as things stand - a combination of Bryan Bresee and cornerback is probably the most sensible option with our two first round picks. And I can see how it would improve the team. But ultimately I suspect it will not be enough to push us over the top. And I think that what’s likely to hold the Lions back from taking the next step is a lack of difference makers. That’s really how I interpret Holmes’s trade for Jamo last year - he was taking a flyer on elite talent and a guy who could be a difference-maker.

So ultimately - whilst I’m not sure I’d do it myself - I’d certainly be excited to see Bijan in Honolulu blue.

Bad choice of words. What I mean is both these guys are young There just now getting the experience and coming in to there own, now you want to bench them as starters and move on to 2 rookies . I’ll bet Holmes doesn’t go that way, the will continue with these 2 and add a 3rd to go with them. And then maybe another for depth. I would bet there not looking for 2 starting cbs but one. And another guy for depth.

1 Like

He’s just a long, gangly guy. He’s never gonna transition as smoothly as a lot of other CBs, but also it probably won’t matter.

He’s better at using his length than any CB I’ve seen since… I don’t know, Charles Tillman? When other CBs are flipping their hips, he’s putting his hand on the WR and riding him to a spot he can stay in phase. Sometimes subtly, sometimes not so subtly. And he’s great at the catch point, he turns and finds the ball like he’s the target.

With his length, ball skills, and doggedness, he forces a QB to throw a perfect pass to complete it. Most QBs look his way for a tic then decide there must be a better option.

3 Likes

With us probably not getting a top five pick. I think we take CB. I can’t believe the rams are winning.

What if carter magically is there.

Houston is probably taken young
Chicago bears ?
Seattle do they geno smith is the guy, could look at qb
Arizona i think they need oline help
Colts need a qb
Falcons need a qb

So it really comes down to a few teams in my mind, just maybe carter falls to us. Then we take cam smith
I also don’t want a running back unless gibbs falls with the vikings pick

While all CB’s are going to grab some, he’s the least grabby but still manages to make the plays. It will be interesting to see how he tests as he looks so smooth on the field.

He’s a track star (and his sister was in the Olympics), I expect him to test off the charts.

You’re probably right but I hope Holmes doesn’t stick with okudah and jacobs if there are more talented options available. Both jacobs and okudah have been mostly solid but they are still streaky. If Holmes has the chance to get our version of sauce Gardner I hope he pulls the trigger.

1 Like

Melissa Gonzalez, the same woman that is David Bloughs wife?

YES PLEASE lol

1 Like

Yup, that’s her.

Gonzalez and sewell… a all nepotism first rd?

1 Like

Cam smith had a rough year in 2022

Let’s be fair- Okudah, Walker, Romeo, Levi, Jacobs, Big V, Ragnow, Jamo, chark, etc have all proven all positions are susceptible to injury.

1 Like

I know this sounds like a juvenile post from a 42 year old man, but if this was the Madden game, which players in this draft are most likely to be 90 overall rated studs?

Carter
Anderson
Bijan
Skoronski- at guard
And maybe 1-2 of the CBs……

The safety position is full of lanky guys who don’t have ball skills, little guys who may not work in the box, average at best athletes etc. I don’t see any 6’1” 210 pound missiles who have 5 TFL and 3-4 ints to go with 80 tackles.

The WR has one guys in Q Johnston who might be a true WR1, but the recent falloff of his production is somewhat alarming?

Trenton Simpson and Sewell are both intriguing, but for off the ball LBs, neither fills a stat sheet like Bolton, Parsons, Devin White etc.

Stroud has no Dawg in him, Bryce is HISTORICALLY SMALL, and between Porter, Ringo, Cam Smith, and Gonzalez… the had a COMBINED 5 INTs!!!

Will Anderson, Bijan, and Skoronski are sure fire studs at next level…

I like-

Bijan
Gonzalez
Tuli Tuipulotu
John Michael Schmitz
Jack Campbell

Sign- S Rankins, Jamel Dean, Chark, Elliott, Cominsky, Swaggy, AA

2 Likes
2 Likes

No, he did not. A QB RATING OF 71.3 when quarterbacks targeted him.

3 Likes

Yeah… it also doesn’t account for how much pressure the QB faced.

Pretty much a worthless stat when evaluating college CBs…

2 Likes

Yeah not sure where a “rough year” came from when looking at Cam Smith this year.

1 Like