Lions' coaches taking criticism for Senior Bowl practices

It’s not that I hate Patricia and I hope he does succeed!
I’ll be more than happy to eat some crow!
Problem is it’s highly unlikely to happen from what I’ve seen in 2 years as a head coach

1 Like

Here’s the difference.

I only criticize Patricia for things he does on the field as the head coach of the Detroit Lions.

That’s all I care about. I don’t chime in when the idiots call him fat or make fun of his weight, I don’t care if he’s late or players like him. I want him to win period and he hasn’t.

1 Like

'preciateya, tc. We’ll see what happens. I think we both agree they require a few upgrades on the defensive side of the roster.

Yep, long off-season alot can happen. And I think we both just wanna win.

And your boy Chucky has exactly 2 more wins in that time and took a RB in 1st rd last year…where there is no value on that position anymore.

When do you hold him to the same standard you hold Patricia too?

1 Like

Umm… yeah… I would think MP knows what he is doing. 13 years with the Pats, 6 Super Bowl appearances, winning 3 Super Bowls, missed the playoffs only 1 year. That’s a heck of a resume.

I have been quiet about my opinion of MP and Quin, and the reason is I am left with only my gut. While i hate the results so far on the field, my gut tells me things are headed in the right direction. Because of this i realize i have no ground to stand on. I realize there is plenty of evidence to support those that believe the current results are the only ones we will see with the two of them in charge.

Now i can’t say my gut has never been wrong in the past, but i am happy that they have at least one more season to prove me right or wrong.

As for the Senior Bowl, i love that the Lions get a chance to work with these young players. In many cases coaching this Bowl has provided teams with some late round talent. I believe that we will probable see 4 to 6 of these young men on the Lions 90 man roster these offseason, and i love to guess which ones it will be.

6 Likes

I agree. Here is why I asked.
Last year, Patricia was in the second season of installing his defense.
Quin made a huge mistake building the Dline with injured players. The gamble that they would be healthy, or get healthy never paid off. And that essentially gutted Patricia’s defense. (if Quin’s gamble was based on the team doctor’s recommendations, he’s have been fired long ago)
They were competitive with mostly backups for a few games, but the injuries kept piling up.
So many are asking why didn’t he change things up to try and generate more pressure?
Maybe he figured no matter what he did, the Dline lacked talent and was still an Achilles heal. Maybe they win a couple more meaningless games, but what for?
So instead they just opted to tank. Keep the scheme intact for a second year.
The players won’t get the scheme down if he ran something else.
That was painful to watch, but…
The player now have 2 years experience in the scheme.
The team is sitting in a good position to infuse some much needed talent at the top of the draft.
Patricia has one more year experience as a head coach.
There is a chance that Matt Patricia isn’t as stupid as many believe.
OK flame away.

3 Likes

Well, there’s no doubt Patricia is nowhere near as stupid as our resident experts claim
Even coach Kitchens has forgot more football than our resident experts think they know
Will they turn it around?
Beats me, but I saw progress as well early in the season
When things went off the rails they let it get off the rails
It’s funny. The kick ‘em while their down thing is very real.

2 Likes

Lol - Guess he did cuss up abit!

3 Likes

I completely agree with all of this. I think if anyone was to blame, it would be Bob Quinn for gambling on injured players on the Dline before the start of the season. But I also think he gambled because they lacked talent on the Dline.

I think MP is a really smart coach, teacher, and can scheme with the best of them. But you still need talented players to win games.

A few bright spots, the Lions led every game except for maybe 2-4 games last season. The offense looks night and day better from previous years and Stafford was having a MVP like season before injury. They also may have found some young gems in free agency/draft that may contribute in the future.

3 Likes

He’s slipped a few times in the press conference and locker room celebrations.

There isn’t a difference. We are talking about media pundits being positive and negative. Most of the media pundits are going to be talking about the product on the field and the results. They are not going to care about his weight. So the negative media slants that people take as gospel here are going to be about the product. Just as here is some positive takes on MP and his coaching that resulted in a win, albeit an all-star game.

A lot of positive praise from the North squad. If some of the North squad players go undrafted, the Lions may be able to sign the ones they like over other teams.

2 Likes

Jon Gruden is on a ten year contract, fella. He came in and blew it up and is still showing progress. He hired the best scout in the world in Mike Mayock as GM, and predictably Mayock knocked it out of the park this draft. He has more picks to play with, he has a boat load of cap space, they are moving to Vegas and will be attractive for FAs as there is no state tax and it will be bonkers to play there. Vegas Raiders will be a buzz saw next year. The Raiders have shown progress, while the Lions have shown major regression. The Lions had a much better roster than the Raiders when Gruden took over. These 2 situations aren’t similar and the Raiders are in a much better spot than the Lions.

Taking a RB even in the late first is not smart, but at least when they do it he is offensive rookie of the year. The Lions trade up for gutter trash in KJ.

Good call, another good example of a team taking a RB in the first round. The Raiders won 4 more games and barely beat the Lions, yet somehow Mayock is a genius. LOL

I wonder what the Raiders record would have been playing their 3rd string QB? Yep, probably have the same record as the Lions. Oh well, that was fun.

I’d say I’m on the fence on MP. But… I dont think anyone can deny his defense grossly under performed. I really do not think injuries are an excuse for just how bad that defense was. Sure injuries are partly to blame but what we saw last year fell more on the coaching than anything else. I also feel they’ve built the defense with too little speed at LBer and with players known for injuries. That falls on MP and BQ. No matter … I just can’t deny that MP was the most to blame for that mess.

With that said I believe we’re seeing rookie head coach growing pains. Clearly MP wasn’t ready to be a HC. He built a staff that also wasn’t ready so he’s had to make changes and adjust on the fly. I hear that he’s mostly liked but has an ego and doesn’t like to be challenged.

I’m willing to give him another year but I expect to see a competitive team unlikely what we saw last year. However I’m not going to make excuses for the mess he’s fielded each Sunday.

Lol…so if we gave Patricia a ten year contract he is above your criticism?

And Gruden was an established head coach who had years to pick his staff…he always knew he was coming back. To me that shows he’s even worse then advertised! Mayock is a TV scout, but has had a decent year… .there is a reason he sat on the sideline so long

You will forgive me for not jumping on your buzzsaw as your assessments are always so accurate…cough cough Cowboys are the class of the league…Sanchez is so much better then Stafford…blah blah blah.

Sounds to me like since Gruden has all those things going for him…picks, no state tax, plenty of cap space that there is ZERO reason for him to not be successful as of next year

Yup the Lions regressed this year…is it coaching or is it the injuries, I guess we will find out in 2020…but since you are so confident in your tough guy Chucky and the buzzsaw he brings, why don’t you give place some money on them making it to the AFC championship next year?

I am willing to bet $100…and since we are both Canadian there is no exchange to figure out. Time to put up or shut up Iggy!

Another lucid, well-thought out objection…

1 Like

Then there’s that too…