Lions sign CB Cam Sutton (3yr - $33m, $22.5m guarenteed)

El Jefe’s option will be decided prior to next season. We won’t have the luxury of observing the rookie in game action. We will know which rookie it is though and that surely will carry weight when it’s decision time.

4 Likes

yeah I was just reading it’s due in May. I don’t see us picking it up

1 Like

I don’t expect us to either

2 Likes

I know its a small sample size, but I think this staff believes they can get the play he showed early last season out of him consistently and they will pick up that option, especially knowing how dedicated and hard of a worker Okudah is.

Just my gut feeling.

Maybe. But my gut feeling is you don’t pay 10 plus million a year for a player that was benched durning our run to make the playoffs

4 Likes

That’s the rub, right? Why was he benched?

He got sick and then suddenly he was a different guy. Was their an underlying injury. Was he sicker than reported. Bc if not then I think you are right and the benching is a telling sign.

4 Likes

He was benched because he was clearly struggling. I just have more leeway for a guy coming off an achilles and never having played more than 9 games in a season as a pro (only 10 overall). He never had the chance to relax his body in the off-season. He had a long and grueling rehab and after the phyiscal nature of a training camp and season, his body and mind probably wore down.

This is my assumption, but a perfectly logical one, IMO.

2 Likes

Didn’t he miss the Bills game on thanksgiving with a concussion. His form very much tailed off once he returned from the concussion protocol

And the pass defense looked pretty decent in the final game of the season vs Rodgers right! Okudah was standing on the sidelines in street clothes. He practiced all week and showed up with an elbow on the injury report Friday before the game.

I See You Hunks GIF by giphystudios2021

Sutton + college Teammate Mosley + Nickle Back Will Harris = BOOOM

Trade Okudah

Resign Hughes
Murphy-Bunting would be nice as well

If by that, you mean backup nickleback, Will Harris, then sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will Harris backup Nickel back or sure I’m good with that.

Because Mike Hughes was out playing him. Plain and simple. They were on a run gunning for the playoffs and Okudah was struggling and being out played by Hughes (who was close to the vet minimum).

Do I think Okudah can steadily get better and improve and get a 2nd contract with Detroit? Absolutely. Do I think they’ll pick up the option? Nah probably not. He has not shown he’s a 11+ million a year guy at any point in his nfl career.

2 Likes

I could potentially see it. Holmes and Campbell didn’t draft him. Just like they didn’t draft Hock and we shipped him out because we didn’t want to pay him. Could be a similar situation really, especially if we were to draft a corner early. Okudah becomes very expendable then, and dumping his contract would give us more money to spend on other free agents in the future.

2 Likes

And Minnashitta Vikqueens just lost Pat Peterson.

Call up that bum GM right now Holmies

1 Like

Great point. Very possible.
That said, if Okuxah xoesn’t make it, it won’t be because of lack of guts, effort, or culture fit. Compared to Okuxah, Hutch is soft as warm butter.

Ship Okuxah to them for 3 firsts & a third

Hock is mentally made of butter, Okudah is physically made of butter! lol

1 Like