Lions sign CB Cam Sutton (3yr - $33m, $22.5m guarenteed)

From Profootballrumors.com

Lions To Sign CB Cameron Sutton

March 13th, 2023 at 12:33pm CST by Sam Robinson

Ending last season with the NFL’s worst-ranked defense, the Lions are adding one of the top cornerbacks available. They are picking up former Steelers corner Cameron Sutton, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets.

Sutton, who has spent his entire career in Pittsburgh, will head to Detroit on a three-year, $33MM deal featuring $22.5MM guaranteed. Sutton, 27, profiled as one of the top cover men available. He will be a centerpiece player for Aaron Glenn’s defense in 2023.

A former third-round pick, Sutton will do far better on his third NFL contract compared to his second. He just finished out a two-year, $9MM deal — agreed to just prior to free agency in 2021. The Steelers received quality work from Sutton last season; he was by far their most dependable corner. The seventh-year veteran will attempt to fill a void on the outside in Detroit, though Sutton also brings extensive slot experience as well. That will give Glenn options as he attempts to pick up the pieces ahead of his third season as DC.

Sutton finished in the top five in passer rating allowed as the closest defender, per Next Gen Stats, last season (among corners) and ended the year with a career-high 15 passes defensed. The Lions ranked 30th in pass defense and have not been able to rely on Bob Quinn-era draftee Jeff Okudah just yet

2 Likes

Oh I don’t mean we’re done with making moves. I was talking about external acquisitions.

2 Likes

Pittsburgh fans not thrilled.

3 Likes

Boom! Very, very nice signing imo! Pumped about this one!

Welcome to Detroit, Cam :muscle:

2 Likes

Top 20 FA & top 3 FA CB on PFF’s boards. I like that!

2 Likes

Cam Sutton profiles as a solid #2

I was thinking we’d get a Murphy Bunting low end 2 , top end 3 guy.

So this is a win.

2 Likes

I was just having fun. Sorry! Holmes said don’t expect a lot, so this could be it as far as big names. big dollar.

2 Likes

I’d argue he’s a good #2 corner. Ideally we still get a 1 somehow.

2 Likes

Top 30 Rip Taylor GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

I believe this is what the kids refer to as an upgrade

5 Likes

And now we can be a lot more flexible in the draft. All the draft offense early guys might just get their wish if we keep signing defense. Buggs and Sutton, good moves so far. How about Cominsky next!?

4 Likes

With the pressure we will get from the DLine I don’t think we will need great corners, just really solid ones who also can tackle.

3 Likes

Technically Reynolds too.

28th ranked corner at 71.6, right behind Bradberry’s 71.7. Better tackler in run support, not as good in coverage as Bradberry. Very reasonable deal.

1 Like
10 Likes

LOL, this is just a random one…Sewickley is like 15 minutes outside Pittsburgh. It is such a strange town. It has a northern Virginia outside Dc vibe to it because it is where all the money lives. Homes 4 minutes away are like 200k…homes in this town are all 600k-10 million. Andrew Mccutchen lives here, Mario Lemuiex lives here, Malkin lives here, Crosby lives here. Hayward, Sullivan (pens coach), Derek Watt lives here, Franco Harris before he died lived here. Lot’s of local media people live here. The private school that is here is 45k a year for pre-k through High school. You bump into dudes every day and it’s like normal and you just act normal. I have gotten lunch at subway and sat a table over from Mario Lemieux. Hell, Crosby would babysit Mario’s kids when he was younger and you would see him at the park with them after school…this town is just different. It’s a bubble. I have had a person tell me their friend was having trouble dating…why…because it is hard to date when you “ONLY make 150k a year”. I swear God…it’s funny and sad…the athletes are the most real and down to earth people here…the generational wealthy families are funny. The young teens will drive to my office parking lot and hang out in the park there…In the evening there is over 1 million in cars…17 year old’s driving Bugatti’s, Porsche’s etc. My boy’s niece’s boyfriend is from the town and he walked up introducing himself to us wearing 1300 dollar belenciaga sneakers. Just a wild place to live and be walking around.

3 Likes

Solid corner, good get!

Great deal.

Now draft Gonzales and solidify the position for multiple years.

From Mark Madden, Steelers local radio host.

Always good to see local fan perspectives on FA’s we pick up.

3 Likes

Chark’s deal will cancel it out.
Evan Brown will likely have a qualifying AAV… and maybe Anzalone… but there won’t be much (if any) comp beans in store for next year.

3 Likes