Love/Hate: What ya saying Jamaal?

Given the choice between Detroit and New Orleans I would pick Oregon too

1 Like

well played

Places like Camden NJ, Detroit MO, East Saint Louis - the worst of the worst - often stay the same. The population slowly declines. Why? Well, it doesn’t go up because nobody who’s not from there wants to go there. But it doesn’t drastically shrink either because housing is next to nothing and so many residents are poor af that they can’t go anywhere. I think confusing that with it being a desirable place that people would chose to live there is a bit off my friend. People on here can hate it all they want, but there’s a ton of truth to what Micah Parsons said. Even if he is still a dbag lol.

Anyway, don’t let me get the thread off base. Let’s go back to slandering Jamaal Williams because the Lions brass leaked info to people like Birkett about their offer so the slappies rally behind the Ford Family and boo the players like Williams.

1 Like

Well not everybody likes the beach. My former Boss moved from Phoenix to Montana because he loves the great outdoors. So he made that choice and I am sure those who are in Idaho are theee because that is where they want to be

2 Likes

I have some of your former boss in me. I lived in Phoenix for 3-1/2 years. Love the sunshine and blue skies, but the great outdoors of W-Michigan is where we moved back to. I love Nov/Dec/Jan. winters, I just have to get through Feb/March and all is good.

1 Like

I live in NY and same - Feb/March is when you start to question your life choices lol

2 Likes

I once lived in California….hated it there and now I’m back Michigan because I love to hunt. People live in areas that is conducive to their hobbies and lifestyle IMO

2 Likes

That’s a much deeper conversation than this message board can handle. 68% of Americans stay close to where they were born. It’s how we work as a species. Which is also nuts btw. So realistically, and statistically, people who live in Idaho do so because that’s where they were born.

But then it goes much deeper - what’s free choice in this? Are we even offered the opportunity for free choice because we often just stay where we know slash are comfortable with? Interesting to ponder….

But yes overall the vast majority of people who do not have Michigan ties would choose New Orleans - or almost anywhere else period - over Detroit. I get that to a Michigan person that can feel like a threatening statement or invalidating their reality… but it’s just reality for others outside that. Thankfully this staff seems to be creating a work environment that players are drawn too enough that they can potentially overcome the Detroit objection players might have

Try Northern Ontario, Canada. Winter is about 30% over in mid March. lol

That’s a big assumption though because as I said in my previous post people who make free choices of where to live often base it on their lifestyle and/or hobbies. I’ve been to New Orleans….it’s a dirty filthy place. Ever since Mike Duggan became mayor Detroit had become a much better city because Duggan completed a concept that Dennis Archer had when he was in office…build your downtown and the rest will take care of itself. Now if someone had a hobby of eating food and drinking, sure they’d take New Orleans over anywhere. Or if you have a hobby of wrestling alligators (I know people who do) then you’d live in a place like New Orleans or someone in Louisiana or Georgia because that’s your hobby. But for folks who like hunting or the great outdoors…Michigan ties or not those folks will pick Detroit or somewhere in Michigan because they can hunt and they can enjoy the outdoors

1 Like

Detroit has a higher poverty rate than NO ~ 31% - 27%, but in the last decade Detroit’s has gone from 40% → 31% while NO has remained stagnant

I’ve been to NO several times. It is a very fun place to visit. French Quarter and Art District are great.

But get outside of the touristy parts of town and it isn’t really a place you want to be.

2 Likes

Neither?

2 Likes

Im a lotta things, but not thst stupid

1 Like

Even Bourbon street have pick-pocket types and people who will stick a knife right in your back and hide in the crowds….it’s definitely dangerous there

2 Likes

AGREED 100%

1 Like

You have your facts wrong, Detroit has a much higher violent crime rate (94.3), than New Orleans, (49.1). You can’t use violent crime as a condition for not wanting to live in New Orleans. Detroit’ s violent crime % is almost twice that of New Orleans.

On another note, I pointed out all last year how JW was getting the gimme TDs, (13 of 17 inside the 3), and got a beat down on this forum. These posters are very capricious. I stated that Swift was the better RB and he still is. Montgomery is not a better RB than Swift either. Swift is the 19th ranked RB while Montgomery is the 44th. By the way JW is ranked 28th. I don’t understand the big investment in Montgomery, I guess time will tell.

I don’t really think it was that big of an investment in DM.

I don’t know about that, DM makes 6 mil a year, JW 4 mil and the best of the 3 makes less than 2 mil a year, makes noooooo sense to me.

Williams said the Lions disrespected him with their offer.

Birkett said the Lions offered him a similar deal to Montgomery. He’s the senior beat writer who has the HoF vote - he will have gotten that directly from the Lions.

Meinke said the Lions didn’t offer him anything like what New Orleans gave him. He probably got that from Williams or Williams’ agent.

The Lions / Birkett version doesn’t make much sense IMO. If we believe the Lions, it’s a collosal mess up by Williams’ agent that probably cost his client a couple million, while the Lions were willing to go quite a bit higher than his open market value. Williams’ agent will have been speaking to teams for weeks and had a good idea of what the ballpark numbers were going to be, and if the Lions numbers were better, as implied by Birkett by saying they offered a similar deal to Montgomery, he’d have re-signed in Detroit.

If we believe Meinke and Williams, then the Lions simply didn’t want him back that badly, and the message put out through Birkett is just PR to massage the loss of a productive and popular player. Williams probably will feel disrespected seeing Montgomery get offered a lot more than he was.

We’ll never know for sure, but it seems like Holmes and Campbell much preferred Montgomery, which is fair enough - there’s no room for sentiment in this business.

1 Like

It’s called playing on a rookie contract @Cap
If Swift has a good/healthy year, what do you think he gets as a FA?