Matt’s cont. to rewrite record book!

Calvin Johnson in his prime is better than anything Brady has ever thrown to. Moss was way past his prime when he went to the Pats.

Fact: Moss had 23 TD receptions (the all time record) his first year with the Patriots (and 98 catches for 1493 yards). Not exactly past his prime.

Fact: In his last full season, Moss had 13 TD receptions on 83 catches with 1264 yards.

Fact: Overall, Moss had almost one third (50 out of 156) of his career TD receptions with the Patriots in just 52 games with the Patriots and averaged 15.1 yards per catch from 2007 to 2010.

I’m not saying Moss was expired, but he wasn’t the freshest milk.

Opinion (approaching a fact): Culpepper is not quite the QB Brady is. Neither is Kerry Collins, and those other crap QBs the Raiders had in 2006…

Fact: 30 years old when he got to NWE. Most receivers have peaked before that.

Fact: NWE was his 3rd team.

I think the numbers speak to Brady’s excellence.

But we’re not talking about “most” WRs, are we? We’re talking about the second best WR of all-time.

The best WR of all time, Jerry Rice, had some of his best seasons when/after he turned 30 years old:

Age 30-- 84 recpts 1201 yds 14.3 ypr 10 TDs
Age 31-- 98 recpts 1503 yds 15.3 ypr 15 TDs
Age 32–112 recpts 1499 yds 13.4 ypr 13 TDs
Age 33–122 recpts 1848 yds 15.1 ypr 15 TDs

1 Like

Yeah, that dude had decent years when he was 39-40.

He was also with Montana then Young. Kind of unfair. And in a totally sh-t division.

All of Rice’s 30-33 year old seasons were with Steve Young, Steve Bono, or Elvis Grbac playing QB.

Young was primary QB until 1998, when Rice was 36

Lions Fans are embarrassingly negative and irrational. They seem to believe that Matt can just cover up for all of the other issues because they irrationally think Peyton or Brady did that, which is completely false. All of the guys like Brady, Manning, Brees and Rodgers (earlier in his career) had tremendous stability with the organization, HC and the type of offense they ran. What Matt is doing is special considering he was drafted to a dumpster fire 0-16 roster and thrown in as a rookie. He has never had a good OL or running game or a defense you could count on for one last stop to win a game. Stafford is much, much better than most all of the HOF QB already enshrined and has throwing ability that rivals any one of them and the ability to bring a team back with almost no time left better than all of them!

1 Like

nothing about Brees’ early career was stable. He got dumped for Philip Rivers…

Stafford had 5 years in the same system with one of the best WRs to play the game. Brady certainly can’t say that, neither can Rodgers. Manning maybe, but Calvin Johnson was a freak.

The reason he’s not in the same system is because he choked like crazy in 2013. We were 7-5, sitting pretty with 4 games to go.

Outplayed by Foles in the snow.

3 ints in the 2nd half, 2 picks in the 4th against the Ravens. One of them was in FG range for the Ravens. Lost by 2 points.

Giants totally bogged down, defense shutting them down in the 2nd half. Up 20-13 with the ball (after the defense got us a safety and Riddick ran for a TD. All we need to do is kill the clock. Stafford, with 5 minutes left on clock throws a pick 6. Then two more chances, nope, 2 more 3 and outs. Super choke.

Minnesota. 5 straight punts. First half lost. 5-15 on 3rd down. The opposing QB was Matt Cassel. This one wasn’t an outright choke, but it wasn’t all that inspired. I think we were eliminated by then, or at least it wasn’t in our power because GB was 7-7-1 and all they had to do was beat the Bears (whose defense was total carp in 2013). Didn’t matter, we lost 14-13 to a 4-10-1 team. Pathetic. Offense got 1 TD and 2 FGs against the 32nd rated defense in the NFL. 183 net pass yards against the 32nd defense. That’s not the hallmark of a great QB. No excuse for that at all.

It was this 4 game skid that got Schwartz fired and a new regime that came in to “fix” Stafford.

You’re saying they should have stuck with Schwartz and Linehan? Is that what you’re saying? Because if they hadn’t fired Schwartz, there would be a nice stable system.

Stafford has played most of his career in a QB friendly system. Tons of shotgun and short passes for a run game. That put a lot of numbers on the board

I’m looking forward to the next few years, assuming he stays here, of him running a more balanced offense

Because to me these records are hollow without victories. I think Stafford can be capable enough. Not one of the top four best QBs ever. He certainly has some flaws but I think we can win with him if the pieces fall into place.

Capable of closing the deal by putting together a complete game against a good defense? Will believe it if I see it, not before.

1 Like

Is Stafford credited with the come-from-behind victory if we’re losing and our defense or special teams score a TD to win it?

I don’t think stafford plays that long. I think maybe another 5 years then he hangs them up. Don’t blame him either, with the pounding he’s taken so far in his career.

Brees had a different HC and OC his 1st year in the league. In his second year they hired Marty Schottenheimer as HC and Cam Cameron as OC. He spent the next 4 years playing for that pair. In his 6th season in the league he hooked up with Sean Payton and hasn’t changed since.

I don’t think you are remember the details of the game correctly if you insist Stafford got “outplayed by Foles in the snow.” The rest of what you wrote is what happened, it was a meltdown to end the season and the defense did enough to win every one of those football games. Our offense let us down. One thing I will say is that our receiver situation was a mess, but I would still hope a franchise QB could make it work better than he did. We even had an acceptable running game that year.

I don’t mind when people throw out stats. I just rank other stats higher than yardage. Like TD’s and Wins. Yardage is the most misleading stat for QBs especially in this era. Local fans of Michigan State may agree after they watched them put up another 400 yards last weekend, while scoring a whopping 7 total points. What does all of that yardage mean, when you lose a game to an inferior opponent because you didn’t actually score points?

I also don’t get why you always write his full name on here, like you’re his mother or something.

So Brady doesn’t have the yards the professional stat experts , evaluators , scouts, and technology we now have, say he does !? interesting take…wrong, but interesting.

B. You say I "Always use Matt Stafford’s proper name, John Matthew Stafford ? that’s a laugh. I say : Matt or Stafford a huge amount more than I say his full name. But God forbid I ever use his correct name randomly, here or there.

What you need to remember, is today’s technology is also keeping full track of stats to reduce human error, or eliminate it al together. I bet in the professional world of keeping track of actual/true stats, the individuals that DO work at it want to make absolutely SURE they are NOT just spitting out a bunch of incorrect numbers/stats amoung his peers OR NFL employees and fans, because if you do…it’s career suicide.

So I’d venture to guess the numbers are pretty damn accurate.

Sure, all sports are getting more nerdy with the numbers. Baseball really went crazy after the A’s went on to win NOTHING, but changed the way GM’s look at things. It may have helped some teams, but it’s not the end all be all.

I think yardage is one of the least important numbers in a QB. Sure, you have to have some yardage to get the job done, but sometimes an abundance of yardage is the result of playing catch up or simply not getting points early in the game, and getting into a shootout with bad teams. A lot of that isn’t the fault of the QB, but it’s just the result. If a QB (Johnathan Matthew Roger Octavio Stafford) threw for 4700 yards 45 TDs and won 12 games and a playoff game, that is something to brag about. But when he throws for 4900 yards and just 20 TDs while only winning 4 games (like in 2012), then the yardage is just an empty stat and not an accomplishment in any way shape or form.

1 Like

Matt didn’t win just 4 games in 2012 , the whole team did from the staff on down to the kicker. that outcome was a total F up from the top down…always been a dang circus act supposedly “leading” this team…where the hell have they led us again?? 2019 Q& P ….the jury is still out.

I realize that losing 12 games is a team effort, but I still cannot fathom how you can possibly throw for nearly 5,000 yards and only get into the end zone 20 times. Even 5 or 6 more TDs probably gets you to 7 wins. Sometimes you have to lean on your QB to get points. They put many seasons in his hands and had him throwing it a million times. It didn’t result in enough scoring or wins.

1 Like

gee whiz I never thought of that. thanks .