Mina Kimes: Jordan Love, Not Jared Goff, Is Best QB in NFC North

Sheesh the vitriol on here…

If Mina Kimes was a 50 year old man, everyone would think she was a great analyst. She knows her shit, forward and back. And if we’re gonna hate on her for preferring Love over Goff, well we need to hate on everyone else who does too, and that’s gonna be a BIIIIIIIIG group.

2 Likes

She went full positional value.

1 Like

She is an analytics nerd so she’ll always lean that way. But there’s plenty of coaches and GMs like that too.

1 Like

6 Likes

I think it has everything to do with her take on Goff than her age or gender. She had some interesting takes on the Woodward Heavy Weights show. Goff and lions weren’t explosive on pass plays and primarily just running plays? And St Brown and Leporta wouldn’t have been as good on other teams? Not sure why she thinks that. Also has mad love for Ben Johnson and almost feels like she’s running with that take because everyone else is as well. I like listening to her and respect her insight but I thought she was a little
Off during the show about the Lions.

3 Likes

From what i see she is an admitted seattle fan… that alone is enough for me to not value her as an analyst… so i disagree that gender or age has anything to do with it from my perspective

Fox Tv GIF by DuncanvilleFOX

2 Likes

Yeah, I think she’s cute, too. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

She got her start in football posting on Field Gulls just like we do on here, dorky, in-depth posts diving deep into their roster and breaking down analytics, cap and the draft. She was like a combo of their @DeadStroke and @CuriousHusker

So yeah, she’s a Seahawks fan.

Then she got hired by the site’s overseer - Danny Kelly who now covers the draft for the Ringer - to write actual articles and her career took off from there.

Also, there’s so, so many other analysts who we know are fans of certain teams. As mentioned, Danny Kelly is a Seahawks fan. Robert Mays is a Bears fan. Mike Renner is a Packers fan. Cynthia Frelund is a Lions fan. Gregg Rosenthal is a Pats fan. Marc Sessler is a Browns fan. Matt Miller is a Chiefs fan. Romo is a Cowboys fan. On and on it goes. As long as they can stay professional despite their love, who cares? Mina does imo.

1 Like

People use Ben Johnson to justify why they can’t give credit to Goff. So the more reluctant the person is to praise Goff, the greater they compensate with their “love” of Ben Johnson.

Ben is in the perfect situation professionally. He has a QB that can play at a high level…but its a QB that people have already made their minds made up on (negatively). So he ends up looking like the greatest thing since Mac & Cheese flavored ice cream.:rofl:

6 Likes

all of this

Well, thanks to her love of analytics, she also has mad love for Dan, who’s the most analytically-inclined coach in the league.

There are plenty of her takes I don’t agree with, and yeah, her insistence on crediting Ben (and Dan) to the detriment of our players is one of them. But it’s not terribly out there either, there are plenty of others respectable analysts who feel the same way.

But just because we don’t agree with them doesn’t mean she’s wrong. And it also doesn’t mean others aren’t wrong more often. The chuckleheads on the FOX pre-game show are wrong all the time, plus they spout worn cliches add basically nothing to the conversation strategically, but it’s funny to see Gronk dance around like a clown I guess.

2 Likes

So let me see if I am getting this straight. We should all accept that Mina is allowed to have her opinion. But we are not allowed to have an opinion about her opinion?

1 Like

We are allowed to do anything we want. I’m just wondering about the vitriol it comes with, which is why I posted at first. But of course we are allowed to do that too, but I have an opinion about it. I’m allowed to have that opinion yes?

Personally I can’t stand any of those pregame shows. I watch the Lions games and that’s about it. Halftime is for snacks and beer. Postgame is for complaining on the den :joy:

3 Likes

Its the same style of response I have seen a million times on this board. You seem to be the one that is turning this into something different in your head.

1 Like

OK then I will stop.

1 Like

Mina Kimes is fantastic. Slamming her just because she likes Love more than Goff is absurd.

That said, GB will ALWAYS get more national play than Detroit on ESPN. Always. That’s OK. More motivation for Detroit.

And Love was great last year. Can he repeat it? I hope not, but he has all the talent to do so.

She’s a member of the “Football Hipsters society.” I listen to them quite a bit. Ringer guys, Robert Mayes, Sam at PFF, Bill Barnwell, Kevin Clark, etc. and while I do appreciate that they all do their research and stay well informed compared to many broadcast types. But they tend to overlap philosophically and the resulting homogenous group think ultimately gives off more smarter than the room vibes than is ideal. And they have a few fundamental blind spots (IMO) that they simply refuse to acknowledge but instead use the peers within their ecosystem to buttress their (IMO)at times misguided beliefs.

For instance:

To me it seems like most haven’t really played team sports at the highest levels. Furthermore, based off of their professional path and often demographics I don’t believe that much time in their professional life has been spent in organizations in which culture, intangibles, etc. are integral to group success.

They tend to hang their hats on nouveau statistics which can certainly offer nice observations. But they IMO take these metrics too far in terms of canonizing opinion into established “truths” within their little niche.

And then as is often the case with supposed the data driven analysts they pride themselves on sticking to what can be documented and proven and then turnaround and do things like let peak highlight plays influence their QB rankings.

I plan on still listening to their various shows but the frequency which I have done so has waned over the last year or so as I’ve found that “movement” in need of a refresh.

3 Likes

Ummm, I would expect that on a Lions fansite. Anyone want to put something up that Steven A Smith, McAfee, Keyshawn, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Lambchop, Sky Marshall Rico, the reanimated corpse of John Madden, Muad-Dib, Spider-Ham, Captain Kangaroo, Homelander or Baghdad Bob spouts off about Love is better than Goff, Ill hate on them too.

Jean Claude Van Damme Ok GIF

Now, if Annie Agar says Love is better than Goff…Im gonna be very very conflicted…

3 Likes

It’s her take on Goff and it’s posted on a Lion’s board. I don’t really care if she believes what she writes or is just writing for clicks, I disagree with this story.
If we were to believe all we have read this spring and summer Caleb Williams and Love will fight it out for top QB in the division. And I’m sure if Sam Darnold has a couple good games in MN the Lions will suddenly find themselves with the worst quarterback of the four. But Goff has the best odds of wearing a Super Bowl ring at the end of the year,

2 Likes