NFC North notes: Jonah Jackson

I just added quickly so may be off couple million but the Rams top 8 players add up to over 150 million an the next two are close to 10 million

Now you think we should bail them out for a 29 old CB he will be that close to when season starts.

Sorry we went down that path for so many ears i can’t count that high. They will rework Fag an likely decker this year. Rag is signed for next 4 years an he is only 26 now will be 27 at season start.

I just have to disagree 2023 Rag $16,450,000 2024 $12,800,000 next two are lower but you see what i am saying
Decker this year $19,350,000 Sewell $14,240,359 in 2023 an less in 2024 Now I am for drafting a OG early maybe the G/C from minesota.
That total is a long way away for what your saying it hard adds up to donald an CB You need to take closer look at Lions Cap Jackson Cap for 2023 is $3,257,140

Your reason does add up even if they pay him what Rags got Its hardly close to the few years you want to pay Ramsey . They can draft a ROG an keep OL together an look for some young Backups

They don’t need to resign him this season but maybe they should. Also the Cap is going up by a huge amount in 2024 maybe to help there teams like GB an Rams the league will make it bigger this year an not all on 2024.

This means so much more than we can wrap our minds around.
I know I’ve never known in my heart that the Lions were heading for a championship before in my life.
If this team doesn’t win at least one Super Bowl in the next two - three years I will be shocked.
Even in the early Barry days, we had questions at QB, and Coaching.
This team is a juggernaut. I would love to keep 45 of the current 53, and I’m only making room for draft picks. Which 8 to cut would get tough for me after the first 5.
I know a lot of you are down on the secondary, but, I think they just need time to grow. Oh, I’d hedge my bets, I think that will only add to the wealth we have.
How could anyone wonder why I’m constantly defending our PLAYERS?
You look at what they went through the last two years and how they’ve responded.
THIS team deserves my respect and support! They have it!

1 Like

Thought that was the Pistons Cunningham.

This sentiment echoes through the halls of the homes of all of us, brother…like you say, especially the ones that have been around for awhile.
Sheila & Chris Brought us Dan & Brad
I was in love with Campbell from the first moment I heard him speak.
We’ve never seen anything close to that in Detroit, & I’m not sure we’ve seen anything like that in the NFL. He is special, for sure.
So many fans are going to be floored, when we are sitting in the SB.
I expect it, even though it will probably seem very surreal.

4 Likes

If lions keep hitting on these late picks they can extend anyone they want. The value in having starters at any position filled with rookie 3rd-7th rd picks makes it work.

1 Like

You are totally ignoring the fact you have to have a budget. How are you going to pay Decker, Sewell, Ragnow, and Jackson on top of a Goff extension and have any money for the Defense? It’s the same shit we seen under Mayhew where you’re top heavy and have to hit the blue light special at Kmart for the Defense.

2 Likes

Hmm…it sounds like we need to take Vaitai’s money and hand it to Jonah plus a little probably. Then go find an OG in the draft.

5 Likes

No hate at all
I’m not sure what the right move will be
We’d all rather see him stay but – given the success drafting players there will be a lot of mouths to feed 2nd contracts to – guard will be a lower priority than many other positions.

Another obvious example probably is Swift – his availability issues make it extremely difficult to justify another contract (plus he’s a RB)

1 Like

I won’t be disappointed, I like Jonah. I liked Hock as well, it was a business decision. I’m just saying having 4 highly paid O-line is difficult to manage financially and still address the rest of the team. Decker and Ragnow already making huge money. And Sewell and Jonah are going to need really big contracts as well. St. Brown is another one going to need big money. Can’t pay everyone, it’s a good problem to have for once, we are actually hitting on draft picks. Maybe Jonah will be cheaper than I think he’s going to be!?

3 Likes

I get this, in the same breath, as we start drafting good depth and allow tackles and guards to sit a year or two, what is the value of a Decker/Rags/Jonah moving forward with replacements in House?
Their trade value has to be worth some solid beanz. I guess I’m asking, is a 30-33 year old good tackle/guard worth anything at the trade deadline? I’m guessing yes.

1 Like

Ragnow’s foot/toe is a concern I think. Dude missed all of 2021, and could barely practice this past year. He basically only played on Sundays and rested during the week. He was playing in pain all season, he said he was nowhere close to being himself on the field, often in a walking boot after games. Hopefully that’s not a long term thing, but it’s the same injury lingering for 2 years now. I definitely see us drafting a guard or center in the mid rounds.

3 Likes

I think Holmes is going to keep the band together and not be looking for a new left guard when he knows what he has in Jonah. I think he will be in the 10-12M range since he wants to be here. I could see 5 years, 55-60M. Watch him in some of the slowlights by Sandman. He is great at setting a nice pocket, great at helping when no one is coming thru his lane, Decent at the point of attack in the run game and EXCELLENT on the move. Makes great contact at the second level as well. He is a keeper and the type player you hope to find in the 3rd round. Much better than GG (another 3rd rounder I believe) and a touch better than L Worford, who made 3 pro bowls. He will be 26 next week so he has a lot of miles to go and will be hitting his prime. We surely missed him when he was out those few games so he does make a difference.

3 Likes

AGREE! I could see us getting a VERY good guard with one of our seconds or a PRETTY good one with our 3rd. There are a few that should be there as only a couple are going early. I think Big V and his deal will be evaluated just before the season. IF he checks out fine in camp and preseason he can stay, if not he then becomes a cap casualty.

Great Point! that is true with Okwara as well. IF Brad wants to play hardball he can save enough on those two to justify an extension for Jackson. There is also a strong possibility he waits until next year since Jackson is already under contract which may be the smart play.

1 Like

Hate is such a strong word! But this take stinks lol I’m kidding !

I still say lions should
Value the people ! Grit doesn’t mean cheap

Paying Jonah $12-15 won’t keep lions from winning
He wants to be here. It sounds like a potentially “team friendly deal”

Right, good point. And then ask yourself is Tomlinson or Glasgow worth that top money, I’m really not sure about that. Glasgow had 10 penalties and gave up 5 sacks last year for example. Both guys had under 60 pff scores. Obviously not always the best metric, but you’d expect a lot better scores from guards making over 11-13 mill per season.

To be fair Glasgow gets called for the other teams penalties. :rofl:

I mostly agree… but I also see Joe Thuney playing in another AFC Championship game and he is at $16 million AAV…

and I think the case could be made that it is extremely important for the Lions to have a top tier O line.

If the plan is to let Jonah leave… better draft a OG this year and next in the top 3 rounds.

2 Likes

[/quote]

If the plan is to let Jonah leave… better draft a OG this year and next in the top 3 rounds.
[/quote]

Agree with this!

Reading through the thread you can see paying Jackson.
When vets begin to fall off, they will quickly be traded or cut
Big V and Okwara types will have a harder time staying on the roster

And — forget high $$ FA or great players getting near the end

I’ve been hearing that since Millen let Hartings go, because you “can get the same guy fir cheaper”

Guard is and easy position to fill, provided you’re not currently trying to fill it

2 Likes