NFL free agency: Lions LB Jarrad Davis to the Jets--1 year $5.5M w $1.5 NLTBE

Because its yet another guy we drafted and let walk…and another position to fill. I’m on Air’s side on this. At some point we have to stop spinning our wheels and start actually building the team. There are worse problems on the team than Jarrad Davis.

2 Likes

Gone to the jets

3 Likes

Wow. I was hoping for a resurgence from him under the new regime. Yeah…another hole to fill.

1 Like

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

2m

Former #Lions first-round pick LB Jarrad Davis has found a home: Source says he’s signing with the #Jets on a 1-year deal for $7M. Nicely done.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

1m

Former Lions’ LB Jarrad Davis to the Jets on a one-year, $7 million deal, per source.

The fact that Lions FAs are being signed and/or pursued speaks to just how bad the coaching was because teams apparently perceive that the talent was there.

3 Likes

Yeah Patricia was a total joke. 1 year and 7 million is cheap.

Good luck to JD. After 4 painful years with the Lions, he’s joining the only franchise that might be worse, lol.

1 Like

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

5m

Last year, Jarrad Davis had limited snaps in Detroit. But teams felt he wasn’t used properly, and his market was real. Now, the #Jets land a premium defender.

Who was the running back from the Raiders that destroyed Davis in the 2019 pre-season? I don’t think Davis ever fully recovered…

If not being able to cover or tackle qualifies you as a premium defender, I might need to come out of retirement.

3 Likes

Great for him. But now our LB grade went from “F” to "G’.

3 Likes

Screw this news. Premium defender? Maybe, maybe not. I sure wanted him back though. Damn.

Oh well. That is serious $ for a guy who is a mystery. I was hoping for a deal worth closer to $5-6 million. $7 mill seems like a lot.

Yeah, seems like an odd decision by him and his agent.

3 Likes

But if he doesn’t fit what they want, who cares if he leaves? You want to resign him just so he doesn’t leave, regardless if he isn’t the type player they need? Just pay the man and keep playing him out of position?

That makes zero sense.

All of that is if they don’t think he fits what they are looking for. If Davis wanted out, then it doesn’t matter anyhow. He wasn’t coming back anyway unless they threw ridiculous money at him.

1 Like

All I can say regarding Davis leaving is:

OLB Van Noy - - - GOALPOST

1 Like

Eh, it would have been nice to have him back but it’s not that big a deal. Aside from a couple of brief periods of good play, he was predominantly a disappointment. Patricia didn’t do him any favors, but it’s not like he’s suddenly gonna get better in coverage, or stop overrunning plays. That was a talent issue.

2 Likes

They did bring back Okwara. So they believe he fits what they want to do.

If you’re going to be pissed they let someone walk, be happy they brought someone else back. Too hard to view this on a player v player at this time. We don’t know for sure what they’re looking for yet.

2 Likes

Good for him. Good for us not spending 7M for a projection of what he’d be like in the new scheme. What we know. He cannot cover beyond basic quick zone drops and he gets stymied by interior olineman one on one. About the only place that leaves for him in a 3-4 is SILB. But Collins is a way better version of JD at that spot. 7M is starting money and you’d really want him as a backup, sub-package guy here.

2 Likes

I’d say he left a hole in our D while on the field. No more patience for $7M. Like others have said good luck!

2 Likes

1 year 7 million. Doesn’t scream out that they are confident in his talent to me.