Okay, let's have a QB debate; Goff vs Allen šŸ˜†

Rodgers didnā€™t do anything last year or this year in the playoffs. Same with Brady. If not for multiple bizarre fumbles by the Rams last year, Brady got his ass handed to him ā€” at home ā€” the last two years in the playoffs.

And frankly, he shouldnā€™t have been in the playoffs this year. He lucked out by being in a shit division.

Allen > Brady and Rodgers the last two years by miiiiiiiiiiles.

Allen would easily be the best NFC QB and itā€™s not close.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s because itā€™s impossible to have only one slice!

1 Like

And that, right there, is the whole point of this little exercise.
Not saying Iā€™m not batshit crazy. Just that Goff is Goff, and, thatā€™s all we need him to be.
In my life, one of the greatest lessons has been that when you see greener grass itā€™s because it gets more fertilizer, so, you have to watch where youā€™re walking or you will step in it.

2 Likes

Oh sweet Moses, smell the roses.

1 Like

Brock ā€œNever Lost a Gameā€ Purdy would like to have a word :joy:

2 Likes

Defense may not win championships, but, Iā€™m Purdy sure itā€™ll get you there.

3 Likes

This debate is why you build a team around any good to great QBā€¦ There are very few QBs, maybe none that could take a shit team on their shoulders to A SB WIN. Mahomes canā€™t. Kaaron Rodgers clearly canā€™t. Allen canā€™t. Goff canā€™t. Brady canā€™t. Cousins bahahaha!

2 Likes

Stafford couldnā€™tā€¦

1 Like

First off I agree with youā€¦.

But saying if he had a defense? Allen has had the - 2ndā€¦. 16thā€¦. 1stā€¦. And 2nd ranked defense in the last 4 years.

Last year the Bills were the only team under 300 points allowed, and this year they were one of just 2 teams under 300 (286), and just 9 worse than SFā€¦.

I agee the D shit the bed vs Mahomesā€¦. BUT- he literally faced more than 21 points in just 5 of 19 games? In 2022 he faced more than 21 just 7 times.

Iā€™m guessing his league leading 36 turnovers that last 2 years made things harder on his D, but they still have the lowest 2 years points against total by quite a bit.

• Iā€™m not saying Goff is a better player, but the gap isnā€™t what many thinkā€¦. Goff got to a SB with a 20th ranked D, and we are shitting on Buffalos D?

The Bills allowed 178 less points that Detroit last yearā€¦

The Bills allowed 141 points less than Detroitā€™s in 2022!!!

• so if Josh canā€™t get to the AFC Championship game with #1 or #2 defenseā€¦. A top 5-6 WR tandem, and a RB group that averages over 4.5 ypc- what will it take?
1 Like

Agree- Mahomes is the closest thingā€¦.

Having a solid QB, good OL, great playcaller, and top 10 defense is the recipeā€¦.

Defensive backs and WRs, and edge rushers seem to travel better in FA than most positions.

The problem is it is really impossible to compare any two QBā€™s properly because they are all individuals. Josh Allen will make more impressive throws and use his legs to make a play. Goff is more a tactician and will use the skill players around him to make the plays. Two completely different approaches to the game. Both can be effective in the right environment and both can suffer in the wrong environment. Josh Allens style of play gives him a wider set of parameters for success I think because he has to rely less on the skill players around him. But they are both very good at what they are good at and are both probably more than capable of taking the right team to a superbowl victory.

4 Likes

Iā€™d say they are pretty even.

Allen = 3 steps forward (passing & running) and 2 steps back (turnover machine)

Goff = 2 steps forward (just passing) and 1 step back (does a better job of protecting the ball).

Goff probably lead the league this year on WRā€™s getting tackled inside the 2 yard line. Great for Jamaal Williams, not so great for the stats of his WRā€™s or Goff himself.

If Allen matures a bit and protects the ball better, he could be one of the elite. Unfortunately for him, the best young QBā€™s in the league are mostly in the AFC. Mahomes, Burrow are tops. Iā€™d put Allen in the next tier in the AFC. Allen may never even make it to Superbowl.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had heated debates about this on another thread. If anyone says they would rather have Goff, I think theyā€™re just not being truthful. But I respect their loyalty, and even bias as a Lions fan. Thereā€™s a million reasons why, so itā€™s too much to get into.

Josh Allen is an elite QB. He is a franchise QB. There is no trade offer the Bills would ever accept to part ways with him. He has ALL the tools, and he has the size, and toughness. Itā€™s like someone created a QB in a lab. He was basically drafted for these reasons only. A total project player. Allen has some flaws, but he still getting better.

Goff is no where near Josh Allen. For me, as a person just being honest, this question is laughableā€¦ for me.

I consider Goff a solid starting QB that can win with the right coaches, and pieces around him. I agree that he is ā€œmid-tierā€. To me, he is like Jimmy G, Kirk Cousins, Derek Carr, Ryan Tannehill, etc. Some are better, and weaker at some things.

I can probably name 10 QBā€™s Iā€™d rather have, or are about equal.

The trade the Rams made was a legit trade. Iā€™m sorry to say.

When Goff throws the ball I get nervous. Iā€™m just being honest. I also donā€™t think Jamo can reach his full potential with Goff. That is, if Jamo isnā€™t a bustā€™ and is the player we hope he is.

I know people are going to get mad, throw stats in my face, and argue. Iā€™m not going to argue back. Like in the other thread.

In saying all of this, I do think he is our guy (for now), So they can concentrate on upgrading the defense. However, I would not be upset if they did take a QB with the 6th pick, and let him sit if one of the top QBā€™s are available. Itā€™s almost the right thing to do.

Goff did play lights out the final 8 games. and I hope he continues playing the way he did. If he does, I will gladly change my opinion. I would welcome that. By all means Goff feed me crow!

4 Likes

Josh Allen is real fā€™ing good. But, and here comes the hot take, he has about two more years to win a Super Bowl. Yes, maybe after that time, he could helm a Super Bowl winning team, ala Joe Flacco, Mark Rypien, or Brad Johnson, but he wonā€™t be the reason the team won. I have seen this movie before. And just like the window shut for Randall Cunnigham, RGIII, and is currently just a crack open for Lamar Jackson, it will soon shut for Allen too.

Quarterbacks that treat their bodies like that donā€™t have long, productive careers. It is ironic, but in a world of gladiators, itā€™s the Aaron Rodgers, Tom Bradys and Patrick Mahomes of the world that survive and thrive. For those guys, running is a 4th or 5th option, not a 2nd and certainly never a 1st option.

So here is my honest, no tongue in cheek caveat to this supposedly ridiculous comparison. If you told me I had to pick between Goff and Allen, and I also had to guarantee them a starting position for the next 10 years, I am taking Goff. All day, everyday.

3 Likes

My hot take is, Goff went to the Super Bowl in his third season.
He didnā€™t have to get past current NFC teams. These were teams with golden boy QBā€™s.

1 Like

I get it LionFrog, and I never meant to go to battle with you. I love your tremendous support for Goff, even if I think itā€™s a little nuts :wink: Man I hope that guy can be elite. But your superbowl argument doesnā€™t work. Not to mention Goff had a bad game. There are way too many things to consider. There have been bad QBā€™s who won SBā€™s, and HOF QBā€™s who never even been to one.

2 Likes

BNL require brand new thinking. Thatā€™s all Iā€™m really trying to get across.
I have no illusions. Still, Goff showed out in 2022. Iā€™m a little surprised that so many are surprised, but, hey.
Goff is the right guy in the right place at the right time. Thatā€™s my ever so humble opinion.:laughing:

2 Likes

He just needs everything to be perfect!

4 Likes

Funny how that works? It almost seems universal?
Nah!:rofl:

5 Likes

So when Goff has top 10 velocity in combine historyā€¦

So when Goff has 2 of top 10 air yardage throws in a season and the 3rd longest in 10 yearsā€¦

At what point do people accept his arm is strong enough to throw for 60 yard tds in the air?

3 Likes