On the pass to Chark, who messed up?

Maybe. With the way Goff’s production plummets when he’s pressured, I’d like them to give him two short options there to shift to quickly.

Let’s just blame it on the turkey.

2 Likes

Nonsense. Goff is the only NFL QB who lacks the vision of the fan sitting comfortably on their couch who, with the benefit of replay and the announcers’ heads-up, and without large men obscuring their view and/or bearing down with bad intentions, can see the obvious play he should have made.

A rookie QB could do much better, no doubt.

3 Likes

You are full of s hit if you believe that. Stafford did it too.

2 Likes

We have a winner. Goff said it himself in the presser. “We had four WR on that play and I picked the wrong one.”

1 Like

The Lions go for it. They ain’t scared of sh-t. I loved the playcall. You leave it in the players hands. The play was there. You gotta execute.

2 Likes

So did Goff, so did Dan, so did Ragnow, so did ASB. Just didn’t execute it. They flat out asked Dan, “could you have done something different there?”. Dan: “Sure, I could have.”. Followed by “Do you regret it at all?”. Dan: “No, I don’t. I loved the call.”

3 Likes

My main issue isn’t about trying for a TD. My issue is that they’ve tried that same play nunerous times this year and Goff hasn’t hit ANY of them. He can’t make that throw often.

1 Like

That’s the difference in the game. Goff didn’t make the throw (apparently). He missed more than once on key throws (Swift was a biggie). Allen made big throws. When people say you don’t need a franchise QB they need to remember games like this. Even when the stats are fairly close, those throws were the difference. I thought Goff played pretty well today too, not trying to dog him. But when we draft a QB people need to understand why.

1 Like

why I chose option B.

That’s an odd response when the pass seemed to be right on the money if Chark would have looked the right way.

1 Like

This is his quote

I wish I would have thrown a different ball," Goff said after the game. “I thought the call was great. I had some options with what to do there. If you had to do it again, would you do something different? I don’t know, maybe. But if I throw a better ball, it might not matter.”

It was a bad throw Goff said it was a bad throw. Reload and get ready for the Jags.

6 Likes

100% for drafting a developmental QB. And I don’t think anyone wouldn’t trade Goff for Allen. But will the Lions be a better team if we draft the smallest QB in the NFL? An underwhelming Stroud? A project in Levis?

I’ll take Goff and Anderson or Carter. What do you want to see? Wins or QB masturbation?

3 Likes

Just curious: IF Chark had messed up that play… IF Goff had thrown the ball exactly to where Chark should have been looking for it… IF Goff and Chark BOTH knew that was true, what do you think Goff would have said in the presser?

If/when Jared Goff ever hints at an insinuation that suggests the implication that a receiver was at fault, it’ll be the first time. He ALWAYS points the finger of blame at himself. And perhaps you’ll agree that it’s unlikely that it’s ALWAYS his fault. Sometimes the receiver really does run the wrong route/trn the wrong way/look over the wrong shoulder, etc.

Sure, Goff could have chosen another receiver. AND, just maybe, Chark could have turned the right way and caught the ball.

2 Likes

This is fair. Goff always puts it on himself and even the guys calling it said Chark might have turned the wrong way. Were they correct? Who knows.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s not exactly what Goff said.
He said, “we had 4 receivers on the play, could have thrown to any of them, the guy I picked was open but we didn’t hit it, so we can second-guess the play all we want”.

It’s at the 3:40 mark of this video.

2 Likes

I just think Goff rushed the throw because he was under pressure and threw it sooner than designed…and off target

Chark obviously wasn’t the hot receiver in the event of a blitz so he was running the route as designed and the ball got there too soon

The real question is who Goff should have went to when he read blitz… but that’s the problem I don’t think he ever read them blitzing till the guy was in his face

I was paraphrasing, perhaps could have worded it differently. That’s on me.

1 Like

Well I guess that means everyone that coaches football are the dumbest people on the planet then.

That’s debatable. He got a step on him and threw his hand up. I think he most likely went off-script at that point, expecting Goff had time to read the play. Unfortunately, Goff had to throw the pass early.

2 Likes