On the pass to Chark, who messed up?

My choice is get the first down an use time outs until have to kick FG. Who knows we catch a break an score a TD at worse closer for FG an less time.

I can live with the call an it was open required a better throw an still he needed to catch the ball. Who knows hind sight he also looked wrong it appears.

Then we did make FG having a chance in OT but failed to stop them with mostly backup secondary with Jacobs out also.

They are always open after the play when you have 1000 pounds pushing at you not as easy to see them wide open.

1 Like

No it isn’t debatable, if you’re running a 9 route & if you stack/beat the DB you do exactly what Chark did.

The back shoulder throw is for when you can’t beat/stack the DB

1 Like

I think it’s clear that we’re entering 2023 with Goff as our starting QB. We might take Jalen Hall or Bo Nix if they fall enough, but neither will be picked with either of our first rounders. So I say…

2 Likes

Ball is already out here. St Brown is open and so is a back shoulder to the sideline for Chark but the deep ball isn’t. Chark is the hot read because the Lions are going for 7, that pass is open and that’s what Goff delivers. The blitz and the back shoulder to Chark being open means Goff doesn’t get round to St Brown in his reads. Chark ran the wrong route.

1 Like

Wrong

I’ll be honest, even if Goff threw it inside, unless he drops that right in Chark’s bread-basket, I don’t know if Chark even sees the pass soon enough to catch it.

2 Likes

Right. Now look at when the ball is thrown and when Chark’s hand goes up.

Lions QB Jared Goff on that third-and-1 incompletion to DJ Chark: “Yeah, kind of. I wish I had thrown a different ball. I thought the play-call was great and had some options what to do there, and yeah, if you had to do it again, do you do something differently? I don’t know, maybe, but if I throw a better ball, it might not matter. But yeah, unfortunately, that’s going to be the play that gets focused on, but there’s a lot of plays that could have gone either way today as well.”

1 Like

It’s wasn’t the defense that drove down in 23 sec.to win the game . Goff had a chance to win the game and missed. The difference in the win and lose was Allen made the play and Goff missed his. The QB was the difference in this game.

1 Like

Goff himself said he picked the wrong guy.

I like Goff. I think he will be QB next year and I think they can win with him. But he can rarely make that throw downfield. It isn’t his strength.

There it is. He even admits it himself.

4 Likes

"With the Lions trailing the Bills 25-22 late in the fourth quarter today, D.J. Chark got open past the Bills’ secondary for a potential game-winning touchdown. But Jared Goff threw the ball short, and the pass fell incomplete. After the game, Lions coach Dan Campbell said the play call was good but the execution was not.

“We liked the play call. It didn’t work out and we kicked the field goal,” Campbell said. “Chark, I’m not sure he ever really saw it until it was real late. I just don’t think he really saw it, so, obviously, yeah, they weren’t on the same page.”

If Goff had thrown a better ball, Chark could have caught it in stride and scored a touchdown, which with the extra point would have given the Lions a 29-25 lead. Instead the Lions settled for a field goal and a 25-25 tie."

1 Like

I mean no disrespect, but this whole thread is odd….

We are a 7 win team with more than a punchers chance against the Iggles, Queens, Bills or Phins…

We have overcome as many injuries as anyone this year, but we surely didn’t have the depth to do it… so we fighting above our weight class.

1. Our OL has been banged up all year… OUR 5TH- 6TH STRING GUARDS STARTED TODAY!

2. We’ve been missing our WR1 all year, and our WR3, most of the year…

3. Our TE1 was traded 4 weeks ago…

4. Our D has allowed 24 plus points in 9 of 11 games!

Yet we have a top 10 rated QB and want to nit pick individual missed throws?

• if we don’t fumble at the 50… don’t miss a 29 yard bunny… don’t take an awful roughing penalty… then it may have been different.

To blame a QB who was under duress all day, and still had a 98 rating with 2 tds and no turnovers seems absurd.

In reality the better team won, but the gritty team kep it close. Good game by Goff, DC, Ben and Ag

11 Likes

You expect us to have a QB out play Josh Allen?

Stafford sure didn’t….

Cousins did… oh wait- actually Allen choked-

Goff was more efficient all day aside from a throw that he launched early with a guy in his face…

The defense gave up 50 yards in 20 seconds. Much like the Vikes game.

We should blame our QB… wow

6 Likes

What’s interesting to me is thinking about my response to the majority of posters - To the Lions fan ether. When I tried to point out warts in Staffords game and discuss how his shortcomings hurt the Lions the Stafford fluffers continuous exoneration of any failings drove me to a position where I was more axis to Stafford than I would be

But my position was moderate. I felt Stafford had consistency and accuracy issues, and we shouldnt draft a QB high but should keep drafting mid round QBs to keep competition

It’s the exact position I have with Goff. But because the same posters excoriate Goff for everything - even enduring two years with a fired OC, significant Oline injuries, practice squad receivers…He’s given zero latitude here by the same people who defended Stafford to the teeth. It doesn’t make sense to me

IMO Goff is good enough. If we get competent guards and more talent to throw to, our top ten offense can help win games. We spend way too much time debating whether the FA WR who missed almost all year ran the right route when our defense again gave up the game losing drive

4 Likes

Did Chipotle knock Taco Bell off “the throne”….???

:toilet::toilet::toilet::toilet:

1 Like

All the hot air in the world doesn’t change the fact that Goff missed the gaming winning throw. Allen hit his, and yes I do expect Goff to make that throw and win the game. Allen only got a shot because Goff gave it to him.

1 Like

Listen to 2:35. To me Jared is acknowledging that his risk tolerance in that high leverage situation was very high. Now he doesn’t say it was “too high” necessarily. But IMO he implies multiple times that there was lower hanging fruit out there. :man_shrugging:

South Park will do that

1 Like

So if it’s a QB vs QBs duel… then Goff isn’t as good as Allen- we all agree….

I don’t think any QB in this draft class will be either!

In fact…. When the Bills allow 27 points or more… Allen is just 3-9…. It’s only happened 12 times in 71 games!

By comparison Goff is 4-12 when the lions allow 27 points or more…. Same .250 wining percentage….

Difference? Lions have allowed 27 plus points 16 times in Goffs 25 starts here!!!

-66% of the time Goff needs to overcome 27 points
-16% of the time Allen needs to overcome 27 points!

Fwiw- Herbert is 6-18 in those games when chargers allow 27 points…. So also .250- and the Chargers have put him in that spot 24 of 42 games…57% of the time-

6 Likes