Our future is drafting Trey Lance

I LOVE Justin Fields. I’ve seen him by far the most but that guy is a boss. He’s got arm strength, accuracy, touch, athleticism, leadership traits. Personally I think he’s close to as good of a prospect as Lawrence is.

I trust your eyes and I respect the hell out of Daniel Jeremiah so I think you may be right about Lance. I just haven’t seen him play so I really have no first hand opinion on him.

I would agree with you and would feel that there is no real value for the Lions in either of those scenarios, aside from reducing our cap number at QB.

I suppose the questions/scenarios i have put up on this thread is to tease out the risk/reward of moving on from Stafford. From what I can see there is little benefit in doing so over the next couple of drafts. Even if we have a high picks it is surely better spent in adding playmakers on defense at this point.

1 Like

If the Lions can draft in the top 10 or so again they need to take a QB. You don’t have the chance to get a game changer that often and the Lions chose to take a ho-hum CB at #3.
Had the ownership fired the front office, a new GM would have been inclined to take Tua or Herbert. Quinn wasted the opportunity and now the Lion are stuck.

This sort of thinking would have kept the Packers from drafting Rodgers, the Chiefs from drafting Mahomes, the Ravens from drafting Jackson, etc… Sure, it’s good to be good - as the Chiefs were with Alex Smith - but it’s better to be great. We should always strive to be great. Have faith in your scouts, have faith in your process. Have faith that the QB you choose will be the Mahomes side of the 1/10. You can’t shy away cause it’s hard.

I have always been a Stafford fan but there is always a time to move on from any QB and for us, it might just be this offseason.

Well that’s totally inaccurate, the Packers didn’t pick top 10 and they got Rogers and now the got Love to groom. That’s just what you want because you want to move on from Stafford. Your not guaranteed anything in the draft.

Well, yeah, I do still believe in Stafford. But it takes dedication to the rest of the team. And the acceptance that you have a very small window. Maybe 3 years at best. But a new guy comes in, and he should build the team in his vision. Give us a young guy, who you think can have a 10 year career. The time is now.

Yeah, I like Fields better then Lawrence. But I accept that I could be just salivating at the kids start this year. Would be tight-pants-happy with either of the two. And feel good with Lance.
Fields
Lawrence
Lance
That’s my personal, random internet dude ranking.

Them teams had a good supporting cast and didn’t have to rush the QB, you bring a rookie in this mess without fixing the rest of the team all u end up with is Andre Ware.

Any fool would understand that you have a better chance getting a stud QB the higher up you pick. Rodgers was slated to be the #1 pick in the draft but slid during draft day. Jordan Love has never started a game, so to claim he is a great QB is simply lunacy at this point. Just because someone has a man crush on a guy simply because he is better than guys like Eric Hipple, Rodney Peete, and Andre Ware doesn’t mean you should keep him around so the Lions can go another 12 years without a playoff win or division title. And cue the “it’s not his fault” argument up…

But the three example you referenced are of teams who were play off calibre teams with coaches and front offices who had already delivered relative success and could afford to spend a first round pick on a QB and take a medium term view. These decisions are not made in a vacuum.

For argument sake of Caldwell had stayed for two more years and delivers two more winning seasons and play offs you could justify taking a QB in the first and letting it play out but when you have a solid floor already at QB and had delivered a top class 8 game spell before injury and huge gaping holes elsewhere in your roster and have won only 8 games the previous two seasons it is a world away from the context in which Mahones, Rodgers, Jackson and Love were picked.

Dude get the F out of here, man crush bs, your blind Stafford hate cause you to just wanna make a move to make a move. You stated you had to draft at the top to get a good QB and I showed its not true.
So let’s get to the skinny you have been running your mouth for months about Stafford and getting rid of him. So put your money Ware your mouth is. I’ll bet you a 100 dollars that what ever coach or gm comes here they keep Stafford. And don’t draft a QB in the first.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you. I do think the defense needs to be the priority. And really, I’m on the fence about Stafford. I’m not adverse to keeping him around to the end of his contract. Its just that if a new regime comes in, I can’t see Matt getting us to the promised land in two years, So there’s part of me that says you may as well cut bait while he is worth something.

1 Like

[quote=“Humberto, post:47, topic:7248, full:true”]

[quote=“JerseyJungle, post:26, topic:7248, full:true”]

Three years if you include this year. Two years if you don’t. Matt’s last “real” shot may be next year if he can stay healthy. But, we are so full of holes that next year is a very very long shot…even for a playoff win or two.

1 Like

Well if I hadn’t the argument of attempting to trade up from a good/successful QB to a great one wouldn’t have held up lol. It’s obvious that bad teams with bad QBs should try and get a better one.

But I take your point about a vacuum and you’re right that every situation is unique. I was simply attempting to make the point that even outside of that vacuum, you should never be afraid to try and upgrade at QB despite past failures. Are there caveats? Of course. KC doesn’t need to draft a QB for obvious reasons. Same with Baltimore, Buffalo, LAC, Cincy, Seattle, Arizona, Dallas, Houston, etc… It doesn’t make much sense for TB, NO, Pittsburgh either, despite potential QB needs. They’ll be drafting far too late, trading up would be prohibitive, and they might as well wait until they bottom out.

And I’m not saying it makes sense for us either, necessarily. As you say, it depends on our situation. But if we wind up with a high enough pick to reasonably grab one of Lawrence, Fields, Wilson or Lance AND we get a decent enough offer for Stafford, well in that vacuum I’d think about it.

2 Likes

Appreciate it… I think he’s great, he’s a smooth athlete, confident, throws a pretty deep ball, tough as hell and an accurate passer to boot. He definitely has some growing to do like all young QBs, he needs to not take as many hits (he never slides), I’d like to see his eyes get faster, lots of half field reads and option plays in NDSU’s offense. If I had to compare him to somebody, it’d be Josh Allen without the huge arm… His arm is still good to great, just not the cannon Allen has.

Hopefully you can see why it looked like you were talking about Wilson still.

But he’s much more accurate than Allen was in college. I saw Allen play quite a few times in college and he often couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn.

That’s correct

I was way off on Allen. I was sure he’d be a bust.