Our secondary is locked up, now who do we draft?

My understanding is he showed up fat and out of shape on his pro day

1 Like

I think a trade up to #3 is absolutely on the table. I don’t know if it would be for Anderson or Richardson/Levis, but I think we’re starting to reach the quality over quantity portion of our rebuild.

3 Likes

IMO my draft needs for the Lions have not changed at all based on what has happened in FA. I still see the Lions going for at least 3 DBs, 1 OG, 1 LB, 1 QB, and 1 RB.

DBs currently out of the 10 players for the secondary/DBs the Lions have 4 under contract pass this season. I can easily see them adding to this group based on the talent that is available in the draft.

OG - Glasgow is on a 1 year deal and we still have no clue what Big V’s health status is at this time. Not to mention that none of the depth guys from last year really looked that good.

LB - I still believe that the Lions are looking to add a guy to develop to put with Barnes and Rodrigo in 2024 and beyond.

QB - As has been mentioned the Lions need 2 QBs added to the roster. I have seen no reason not to add one from FA and one from the Draft.

RB - The Lions like a RBC instead of a bell cow. With the draft being full of talented RBs I can see the Lions adding depth to the group. Maybe even a power back to replace Williams.

IN addition I can see the Lions looking to add depth/competition to the WR and OT rooms out of this draft.

Now I have no clue where, when or whom the Lions might be looking at, but I feel pretty confident that those positions I mention will be addressed during the draft.

I thought trading about trading up to #3 the other day but was too nervous to say it.

The Lions trade up for #3 - which they have the capital to do - and they take control of the draft. They leapfrog the pesky Colts and Seahawks who are hoping their guy falls to them as things stand. It would cause emergency meetings for a lot of FOs across the NFL. At #3, the Lions would be pretty much guaranteed to get Will Anderson as the worst possible outcome. If they wanted Anthony Richardson - they could almost certainly get him. And they could potentially trade back down and recoup a bigger haul than it cost to move up.

It’s certainly the bold, game-changing move. And everything Holmes is doing right now suggests it’s at least possible.

I love Anderson, but we are so deep at edge that I couldn’t justify giving up more picks for Anderson. Even if you discount Romeo and Harris on one year deals, we still have Hutch, Houston, Cominsky, and Pascal.

If we traded up to 3, it would have to be for one of Young, Richardson, or Stroud, IMO.

I wouldn’t be upset if we did it for Anderson because I think he has Khalil Mack potential, just not sure of the fit.

1 Like

Yeah, it makes sense for Brad especially. He really seems aggressive going to get his guys. And I’m not the first to say it, @BallHawk made a whole thread about it. I always though it was possible but I think it’s much more likely now after our spate of moves.

1 Like

Yeah I would think it would be for a QB as well, I just wouldn’t completely rule Anderson out. He’s sort of the last of the super tier of prospects now that Carter’s stock is crashing.

2 Likes

they WILL draft for the future, for sure.
I can see them getting one or 2
I also could see them extending a guy or two mid season.

OG – >yup
RB → yup
dT → YES

Literally everything is on the table. Rosters are unstable as a MF’r…it’s a big part of the reason why we see such flux in NFL standings from one year to the next.
I’m thankful we are not going the route the Rams went.
I trust Brad to manage this thing long term.
He’s doing great.

Anderson is such a monster that’s why it’s alittle tricky. But everything is kinda moving towards taking QB. These one year deals are probably a prove it and come see this culture and what we’re about, while Holmes knows he’s gonna take AR and whoever performs and fits will be resigned and now we have a QB under a rookie contract for the next 4 years after he sits for a year and learns under Goff.

Agreed, that’s the way I lean as well. We’ll probably have to give up a lot of capital to get to 3 and I don’t know if we’d do that for any non-QB.

I’ll just add to this thread that I don’t really see our secondary with long term solutions. I see two band aids and a long term solution with Sutton. It makes us comfortable for one season. I will assume Holmes will have cap space the following year too, so there is that. But I also think it makes some sense to keep secondary as a place where we have long term needs, and a place where we have a year to develop young talent.

It definitely frees us up to take a broader view of the draft though.

2 Likes

I agree but this draft is deep enough to do it later. I’m almost certain we’ll add a CB in the 2nd or 3rd, as long as we still have those picks.

The question is what will be enough to get the deal done and do you think 6 and 55 can make it happen? Arizona want Will Anderson but is 6 and 55 enough for them… New GM and head coach, I feel like they won’t mind moving back and hoping it’s with colts because they can still get their guy in Anderson and acquire more picks, but if they deal with Lions then they’ll have to settle taking Wilson or even Jalen Carter… I won’t be surprised if they throw out Lions are interested to get a bidding war with colts and Seahawks (who also have 2 first picks). Do the colts like Richardson? New coach, the idea of RPO with Jonathan Taylor and we saw what he did with Jalen Hurts… I know that Seahawks are interested in AR because John Schneider love big, strong armed QB’s.

Right. So guys that may not have made sense before like injured CB from Syracuse (just by way example) might now be more on the radar since they are in a better position to wait for recovery.

I think it would take a lot more than 6 and 55. I know it matches up on the trade charts but generally there’s a ~20% premium on trading up for QBs, especially when we have to convince them to move off a stud tier player and especially if there’s competition for the trade.

I think it might look something like 6 & 18 for 3 & 66. That’s almost exactly a 20% overpay on the Rich Hill chart.

CJGJ can definitely be a long term solution. We just have to extend him to do it.

Yeah exactly, he’s a great shout. I really loved his early career tape, though checking in at 5’10 at the combine is a little worrying. Maybe an Eli Ricks type if they think they can get him to reach is potential, or a Kyu Blu Kelly (who I’m higher on that most). There’s a cadre of dudes in that range that are interesting. Don’t know how many will fit what we like but would be surprised to leave the draft without one of them.

Yeah you’re right I just hope we can make this happen without giving up the 18 or a 1st in next year draft. I don’t mind even giving up 6,48,55 (if Brad really believes he’s the guy) but it’s def gonna be very intense comes draft time. They move up to 3 and control the draft… colts and Seahawks will panic… one of them will land Anderson (who would of thought) but I’m sure the plan for them was to get a QB.

I’m actually OK giving up 18, I think the grouping this year from like 12-60 is all roughly the same tier. This happens most years but it’s usually more like 20-50. I think it’s wider this year. So I’d rather keep the two 2nd rounders. Plus if we give up 18 they’d have to give us another decent pick back in return.

Is it?

1 Like