Post your 2023 Mocks Draft Simulator

I am also curious about Stetson. I know he played on a loaded team, but its very hard to look past what he did this year even despite maybe some physical limitations he might have.

2 Likes

So I’ve been wondering if the real plan is to play Alim at the 3tech. So many drafts are aimed toward landing a 3tech next to Alim. But what if the real goal was to get a run stuffer? I am not sure what others think of this idea, but when they let him do that I thought he was very good. A guy like Mazi might disappoint with all that athleticism and not a great pass rush but he’s hard to move and somebody like him taking on doubles and stuffing the run could allow Alim to wreak havoc.

3 Likes

1 Like

First time using PFF’s mock simulator. I usually use mockdraftdatabase.

I did something a little different on this one. I have a bit of a man crush on Nolan Smith. I would pick him at 6 above some of the EDGE guys they have rated higher than him. He gets knocked because he is light, but he probably holds a run edge better than any of them. He is lightening fast and bendy and I think he is super fluid in space. He’s made some huge plays for UGA. He beat Evan Neal to seal the deal for UGA against Alabama last year. He is the heart and soul of that UGA defense and he is at a discount because he was hurt this year IMO. Honestly, I think you’ll see him rise as this process goes on.

The rest is standard fare. I flirted with taking Breese that high. I think the corner class is deep enough that we could go corner/corner in the 2nd or 2 out of 3 picks in that 2nd/3rd range. I whiffed on Mazi Smith thinking he might be there for me. I did strike lucky with Patterson as a swing OC/OG. In this scenario I think we either need to keep Vaitai - who remember can play RT in a pinch, or go get a RG in FA which shouldn’t be too much if Patterson can’t man that side.

Sewell was a bit of a situational luxury pick but I think he’d be a tone setter much like Smith would be. and Witherspoon. Took That’s2’s advice on Brown. Was caught a little bit there on what was best after I missed on Mazi. CGJ might be a good FA add here.

2 Likes

There’s a lot to like about Smith, but he just never became the player he was supposed to be as the top-ranked recruit. I agree that he holds up really well against the run and Brad & Co are gonna love his intangibles, I just wish he’d flashed more as a pass-rusher. A grand total of 12.5 sacks in 4 years, the final two as their main attacking edge. At edge, on a defense with that much talent, I do expect some more production.

It does help that before he got hurt, I thought this year was his best tape. But I still don’t think he has much of a plan when he rushes, he’s just flying by the seat of his pants.

But if he can get that ironed out he’d be a major plus on our roster.

What I think we will do

2 Likes

Its the same with Travon though right? I mean its similar at least in that regard (neither lived up to top recruit in the nation billing). I think Nolan Smith will be used as a Micah Parsons type by the right team. I think he has that kind of athleticism. And I know that is a big comparison, but I can kind of see it. He is bendier than any edge in this class probably. I do wonder about his arm length with that size, but I do not worry about him like I would another guy at 235ish trying to set the edge. He is very good at it. I’ve seen him blow up plays by taking on pulling guards. He is going to run well too, well I don’t know if will be able to, but I bet he is a 4.4 ish guy.

I agree though, you do want to see more production. That is probably why he stayed. I think he was on his way this year with the production. And Nolan Smith always seems to come up big in big games. I love players like that.

Things might get kind of exciting with a versatile guy like Smith.

1 Like

Well Travon played a different position on that Georgia D. His job was to take up blocks or hold edges more than it was to attack the passer. Smith, on the other hand, played the one rush position on their d-line and had plenty of chances to attack. It was the same spot played by Azeez Ojulari before him, and he had a 6 sack season as a redshirt frosh and a 10 sack season as a sophomore before declaring.

I do like Smith for a lot of the reasons you mentioned, but Brad & Co will need to get to the bottom of his production issues, and we’ll have to put him in better spots to succeed.

1 Like
  • DET

Jalen Carter

DT Georgia

• DET

Christian Gonzalez

CB Oregon

• DET

Bijan Robinson

RB Texas

• DET

John Michael Schmitz

OC Minnesota

• DET

Jack Campbell

LB Iowa

• DET

Jonathan Mingo

WR Ole Miss

• DET

Josh Whyle

TE Cincinnati

• DET

Stetson Bennett

5 Likes

Happy Jonah Hill GIF

2 Likes

Sprint to the podium

Passed on DT and TE Washington at the hock pick . Took Sewell over Battle & Phillips & Martin.

Didn’t get the RG. But man are we loaded up now

1 Like

3 Likes

Ooh, I’d be pretty happy with that one.

Where do you think Reed goes after his Senior Bowl performance? No way he’s there in the 6th right?

Not sure Benton will be there at 48 now either. Henry will probably be picked mid to late 3rd round. Dorian I could see being picked around early 5th.

Yeah Reed’s going higher. Maybe end of day 3? Depends how he tests. He might not be the best fit for us since he might be slot-only and we already have one of those, but if it only costs a 6th it’s worth finding out.

I don’t expect Benton to test like crazy so I doubt he goes much higher than that, and might go lower. He’s one of my favorite options too.

To’o To’o is probably my least favorite guy you drafted but in the 5th I’d be fine with it. And I think he probably goes around there, I think he’s small and short-armed and won’t test all that well. If he falls far enough I’m fine with it, that puts him in the realm of Brad value. But when I see him going day 1 or 2, I don’t love it.

I have no idea where DTR will go, but I suspect it won’t be too much higher. It’s a deep class of projection/backup types. He could go as high as the 4th, he could go as low as the 7th or even UDFA. It’s hard to say with QBs. I really like him as a backup option for us though.

Yeah that was my concern with picking Reed there, but he’s showing some nice verticality to his game plus good route running at the Senior Bowl so far. He might be more than just a slot. I was tempted to go Michael Wilson there.

Yeah Wilson, Nacua, AT Perry, Dontayvion Wicks, Demus, Jadakis Bonds, Shaquan Davis, there’s a lot of WR fits for us to be had on day three. I’d be pretty happy with any of those guys.

Another mock…

1 Like

Yuck

Normally, that would be considered great…but we have holmes. We expect 6th round guys to get at least a sack/game!