Pre-season game thoughts good and bad

Interior DL still looks to be dildos (as the kids say)…Brockers looks baked like a Quintricia exPat a’la Trey Flowers. Middle of the D is gonna be bad again this year…imo not an overreaction to a preseason game, but this is still the same bad DL and LB’s from last year. Methinks we’ll all be happy with Jamo eventually, but when we play Philly game one, methinks we’ll all get honolulu blue balls watching Jordan Davis compared to our interior DL.

I actually hope Goff has a great year, for many reasons, but #1 is to not have to address the QB early/at the top of next year’s draft…need to take the baddest ass’d DL/LB possible with at least two of our top 3 picks.

5 Likes

He looks to be our 2nd best QB.

3 Likes

I watched the first offensive series and the first defensive series
Talk about good, bad and ugly

Offense looked like it could be a machine this year
OL is awesome

Defense — that was a sloppy, ugly, gutter slut performance
I got the sense that a lot of the D problems are very very correctable— but not addressing DT may come back to haunt us.

3 Likes

Rodrigo is going to start IMO. Great draft pick.

I still think Pimpleton has an outside chance at a roster spot. Its crowded though. Maybe PS.

3 Likes

Brockers was doing the opposite of attacking, getting pushed back and washed out. It was exactly what happened in our Philly game last year with a compromised Levi and Brockers.

I don’t care about sunken costs for Brockers. What are you telling the team by keeping him and cutting Buggs or Cominsky or Cornell or Taylor?

At one of Dan’s pressers, he paraphrased Bill Parcell, saying that the vets don’t have to show they still belong all the time in camp, but they gotta show it at times. Brockers didn’t show it at all last night.

The tale of our season could depend heavily on the health of Levi Onwuzurike and Josh Paschal. Scared yet?

6 Likes

Since I expected them to win between 7 and 9 games, the inverse is also true, I expected them to lose between 8 and 10 games.

Nothing I saw last night changes that. Team is better overall than last year. Still has holes. Expected for year two of a rebuild. Especially preseason game 1 of year 2.

A lot of camp left. Plenty of time for a few things to come around. Add a player or two.

4 Likes

McNeil took himself out of the play several times. I’m not surprised being this the first preseason game. However, it will be a cause for concern because most vets won’t play in the 2nd and 3rd preseason game. The starters will probably be rusty for the first game and injuries happen because of this

Our 1st team defense should play at least the first half. Next week. They definitely need more work. Philly will be running all over us.

2 Likes

We couldn’t keep contain in the run game either. We consistently lost the edge and got pushed back inside. We rushed without discipline. It wasnt because we didn’t gameplan. Also… this was a falcons offense that rested some guys… not exactly like playing KC.

Our last 2 drafts had 2 of the top 3 picks as D-lineman. We’ve signed multiple FA DT’s.

1 Like

All true, I still wanted to draft another DT early this year. I’m not yet comfortable with the talent level there.

https://twitter.com/jeffrisdon/status/1558234137332535299?s=21&t=ZdzU6RKdGoUiJnntGMqpvg

Eagles could be a baaaaad game.

To the other point about benson….i like Maurice Alexander as a guy to keep watching……

1 Like

Irony is, Hurts didnt really hurt us last year…it was Philly’s RB’s that hot dogged us right in the kisser
Hot Dog Face GIF

2 Likes

Kennedy - 12 Targets, 8 receptions for 104yrds. Would like to see when he’s got Chark/St. Brown/Hockenson/Swift/Jamaal on the field as well. Might be a nice little Welker/Danny A player.

Our OL are studs.
Hutch is going to be good.
Anzalone is better than fans think
Davis will make the team.
Siebert/Patterson not much of a difference
Boy Okudah really tries hard, I wish all our players had his determination . . . he’s our Rudy!!!
Four players on DL didn’t play (Both Okwara’s, Paschal and Levi), no Anzalone or Jacobs. Might have a better edge set against QB’s.

5 Likes

he’s been working on keeping it in the building. If there’s one thing I’m not worried about, it’s Fox’s hang time.

Dude shanked one and it only went 65 yards (first punt of the preseason).

#GOAT

1 Like

Another reaction of mine:

We on the board were right and Holmes was wrong about not putting a real emphasis on improving the LB corps. They got torched last night and guys were frequently hitting the wrong gaps.

Theyre going to regret passing on Nakobe Dean.

2 Likes

I’m not happy w/Brockers either, man.
I can see Alim doing better than last year, but how much better?
Levi…same as Alim, but with far less confidence in the same principle.
Paschal is the DE/Edge version of Rodriguez (also an upgrade)
Hutch is a nice upgrade already and appears to have a very high ceiling.

DL is “fine”, with exception of one nasty DT. We need Brockers’s replacement.
Thing is, having an undersized guy at that position is tough. The style of DL play we do will be high risk, high reward, and will be more susceptible to the run than any of us like. Good running teams can bully the middle of that defense.
Jordan Davis would have been a HUGE addiction (literally and figuratively).

I feel like Jamo is special, and likely our 2nd most elite player (behind the “punter”). Hutch has a chance to be special. Sewell is special. Ragnow is elite. We’ve got some nice pieces. T-Deck is B+/A-. St Brown is A-, with a high ceiling.
It’s coming. One friggin DT will flush the QB into the DEs. We need a Suh-type in the middle. I think that’s our goal moving forward.

1 Like
4 Likes

OR… Glenn is starting to place some questions for me.

What Pleasant and Glenn did with UDFA DBs last year was impressive.

That said the Defense was atrocious last season, especially late in games. They got better as the season wore on, but it took a long time.

Now the Lions have more guys in the LB room and more experience. Could be Holmes is bringing in the wrong guys. Could be coaching. Could be too early to tell. Could be a combination.

Keep in mind that Anzalone is the most experienced and captain of the defense. He didn’t play last night. He is not a great LB but the defense definitely flows through him.

Instead you had rookie sensation Rodriguez and 2nd year Missile Barnes.

Good post.

I just hope next summer we won’t be saying, “How many top picks must we spend on DL before this thing finally turns around?”