Quarterback was and is still NOT the problem here in Detroit

More hyperbole.
But you are good at it, and consistent at it will give you that.

take a look at goffs stats, and then look at who he was throwing to for a large majority of the year.
I watched the games too. he does have some pocket awareness issues, however he’s pretty accurate, can throw fairly deep and can make decisions pretty quickly. Once he got a legit threat to complement sun god his numbers went up. Next year he should have a much better year.
I would still draft a qb in 23 for development, or just wait for a free agent to come up but most times the actual ‘good’ ones don’t go anywhere in free agency.

We will most likely have to draft a Qb next year, because my guess FA will be horrid. Goff is good enough to make this team a 9 win team even this year. After that. I am not sure ??

1 Like

Did Holmes actually say that??

My view
-Goff was never the problem
-Goff is not the answer (if your goal is winning the SB)

*subject to change

1 Like

Yes.

He said guys where going according to where they were graded. There’s no underlying theme or anything unique.

Next year: My prediction is Lions pick in the Top 10, if Goff stinks it up… LA doesn’t win as many games, pick 28?

Trade your picks to move up and get your Qb. Now we have new battery to run the corvette. It’s a process…

JG had the LOWEST air yards per pass in the NFL last year. Yes, a big part of that was his lack of playmaking targets, but it was also that he is extremely risk averse to the point where he’ll pass on an open big play for the less open dump off. He got better when St. Brown started going off and Reynolds came in. But not enough to get him off that LOWEST in the NFL number. Much of what St. Brown did was take an accurate dump off over the middle and turn it into something that looked good on the yardage sheet but still was an uber safe dump off that any QB can do (except maybe Tim Boyle). We have given him playmaking speed and height this offseason. No excuses. We need someone with the balls to throw the ball deep or it was beyond stupid to spend all that capital to move up for a deep threat WR. We could have drafted another high impact defender, or stayed pat and got another small quick guy who can take those 3 yard passes and make something with it, much more cheaply that what we just did.

1 Like

This would lock us into Goff though…yuck. I say to Goff…throw the deep ball or get replaced. I agree with everything you say about Señor Goff, but still loved the move to get that game changer of a handsome badass WR we brought in. :wink:

I’m really not sure one way or the other on Goff. Lynn clearly sucked at OC, and Goff looked quite a bit better with MC/DC and Ben Johnson running the offense, which is at least encouraging.

After adding Chark and trading up for Williams. Getting a healthy Ragnow back. We are about to find out if Goff is just an average QB or maybe he can excel with all these weapons around him. Swift, Hock, Chark, Williams, St. Brown and Reynolds. That’s some impressive young talent to throw to.

3 Likes

It definitely looked weird at times but we were pretty god awful at receiver. And that’s before thinking about the fact that we had UDFA’s playing RB part of the time and issues on the offensive line. He still completed nearly 70 percent of his passes with over a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio. The completion percentage was the highest of his career, the TD percentage was the 3rd highest and the INT percentage was the 2nd lowest.

When things broke down, he didn’t make a series of horrible decisions. He kept his composure and lived to fight another day. Hence the highest sack total of his career. Now he needs to trust his receiving talent and let some more risky passes fly.

2 Likes

Which tends to happen when you have the lowest air yards per pass in the entire NFL. I sure hope he can throw more 4 yard passes that go for TD’s than INT’s. Yay, you da man…

1 Like

It could look like this, but it doesn’t:

1 Like

That went over my head, but the fact remains if you throw short, you SHOULD be more accurate than most other QB’s. You can’t tout that accuracy as special unless you acknowledge that yeah, he makes it easier on himself to be accurate than LITERALLY every single other starting QB in the NFL. The team that drafted him, bailed on him. They sent a highly accurate but extremely risk averse and non-mobile QB out of town for our gunslinger who is less accurate, but has way more balls and just got what he never could with the same coach in his first season there.

Jared Goff 2020 Rams AY/A 6.8

Matthew Stafford 2021 Rams AY/A 8.2

1 Like

It was so frustrating watching all of the 3 yard passes.

There wasn’t much else to throw, that’s the problem. Its not like KhaDarel Hodge is going to suddenly turn into Odell Beckham just because we need a deep threat. Once we got Josh Reynolds things picked up a bit. Having another NFL receiver to throw to was desperately needed. Particularly ones not built like Khalif Raymond.

QB is more of a problem now than it was when Stafford was here.

The overall problem remains exactly the same though.

The lions either need to land a franchise qb that can take them to the promised land or they need to build such a great team around an average QB that they can go to the promised land.

The rams and Stafford, for example. The rams won division titles, playoff games and made it to the SB with Goff. They knew they needed to get just a bit better at QB to win it all and they were right.

The lions never won a thing with Stafford. Now they need to build a team that is good enough to start winning division titles, playoff games and make it to the SB.

If the lions are so fortunate to do that they are still going to need to upgrade at QB to win it all.

Personally i think everything is going swimmingly with the lions long term rebuilding plan. Hopefully things keep going in the right direction. By the time we are there Stafford will be in his late 30’s. They made the right move for all parties involved.

1 Like

It was the worst I’ve ever seen in the NFL. Wondering if it was a record low?
Dude was playing with a short deck, for sure…but I remember watching games and thinking a 7 yard pass was a “bomb” from him. He had the lowest yards/pass (travel in air) out of any QB. Some of it was by design, but a large portion of it was him being chickenshit.

It is known that I lean toward wanting to replace him.
It is NOT because of how he shows up when things are going well…it’s because of how he shows up when shit hits the fan.
It is NOT because of his talent…it’s beceause of his lack of mental toughness.

The team that drafted him give him a lucrative 4 year extension when they didn’t have to do so.

And we sent a less accurate and non-mobile QB who has improved with age and better players but your not willing to give Goff the same benefit of the doubt. Yes, they have different skill sets and no one is arguing that Stafford isn’t the better of the two. Your whole premise is based on presuming a player can’t improve the more they play at QB. Peabody showed some stats that went over your head because it’s apparently something you refuse to consider, even though Matt is the epitome of improving over time.

yes to all of this.

Stafford trade turned into so far…
Goff (slightly above average starter)
Iffy (I think he’s gonna be a B+ player)
Williams upgrade (1/2 of Williams acquisition)

It’s working out for us.
I DO think Matt will be young enough to win a title with the team we’ve built, but we would not have the team that has been built if not for the pieces we got from his departure.
I think our roster is gonna be solid this year. Matt would rip the NFL apart with the offensive weapons we have this year.

1 Like