Recipes

I get the “Stir Fry” cup of noodles, Hot Garlic and Chicken flavor, and add a heaping tablespoon of Skippy extra crunch peanut butter. A poor mans pad thai, it’s really good.

2 Likes

He
re ya go! Nothing fancy at all… just chopped kale and Brussel sprouts. Gonna dress it up a bit from here!

2 Likes

Made a kind of pulled pork last night for taco night. Took my normal modified pork adovada recipe and made it more like an adobo because I didn’t have any dried chiles on hand

10lbs pork loin smoked over hickory, then sliced into cubes and braised for hours

Holy shit man… dude that looks incredible!!! You are on another level. I need to get a grill/smoker so I can one day come 1/16th close to what you do!

Also side note, nice looking chef’s knife you have there… I’ve been thinking of getting a new couple knives… any suggestions on brands?

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve got several I brought back from Japan and I’m not sure the brand. They sell them at the shops by the big famous fish market. I like my Wusthof the best though. It has a really nice weight

Also please excuse the weak looking store bought pico de gallo. I was running short on time that day and just bought a tub

1 Like

Ahhh the Japanese knives… my friend has a couple I need to ask him. I have a good chef’s knife my mom got me, not sure of the brand either, though she kept telling me “now don’t cut yourself!” Wanna know what I did like a week after having it? Yep, had a little too much wine, missed my onion and took a chunk out of my finger (it was a small chunk it’s back now)

Anyway! I will check the wusthof knives out! These guys?

1 Like

Lol no worries on the pico!

I honestly didn’t even notice, it was the last thing I looked at

1 Like

:open_mouth: haha. i’ve cut myself plenty over the years. Once put an oyster knife well into my palm while on a weekend outing. The wife wanted to drive me to a med center. I found vodka duct tape some paper towel and finished shucking

That is the work and action of a true chef and a true man!

monty python scratch GIF

Not related to cooking but I once stubbed my bare toe on a rock and it was bleeding like crazy… my wife grabbed a bottle of vodka and dumped an entire 5th on my foot. Hurt like a mother for about 3 seconds before it went numb, but no infection!

Toe feels great today! When you’re in a pinch, just grab the vodka, it kills everything. As much for wounds as it is for cocktails!

1 Like

haha. Vodka and duct tape. A russian med kit

And I bet those oysters came out awesome! And I hope, well you know, they worked out well for you that evening :wink:

1 Like

oh yea. the wife is a sex manic anyway. She doesn’t need oysters. Sometimes I feel like Al Bundy. Come on Peg, the game is on!

Have you ever tried this with an arm roast vs a chuck roast?

2 Likes

I have only done this once (when I posted that originally). What is the difference between an arm and a chuck?

I want to make it again but I’m going to do it differently, I found a good video, I’ll find it again and post…

1 Like

75 cents a pound. JUST kidding although that’s about right. Arm roast is cheaper, somewhat “stringy”. Then you have rump roast which is the least desirable of the 3.

2 Likes

Lolol right on!

Ok so here is the video I’m going to try to copy one day. It’s a little lengthy but they do a good job of going through the process. And the guy’s last name is Chlebowski, so, just gonna assume this guy knows what he’s talking about? :wink: no offense to Polish people of course I meant that with love :heart:. They know how to cook!

3 Likes

I was a bartender for quite a few years, owned a house with the guy who owned the bar. There was a Polish guy from Detroit who was a regular, Gorecki. We reconnected later in life when we both were living in the same town. We used to get together for Lions games and make Kielbasa using a meat grinder his parents got as a wedding present. We’re about an hour apart now, but still get together for a couple games each year, do a lot of cooking together. We both do most of the shopping and cooking in our homes so we have shared a lot of recipes over the years but the Kielbasa is still my favorite thing that we make when we get together.

3 Likes

That is awesome man… I bet that was the best tasting kielbasa too!

Out of curiosity where in Detroit was the bar? My mom used to live on Vernor and I’m forgetting the other street, but I’m pretty sure it’s right in where Mexican town is now.

So my plan is to ease up on pizza and red meat this year… I’ll of course have cheat days but for the most part want to do mostly lean meat/fish and some vegetarian stuff moving forward. So instead of the usual Saturday night pizza gonna do these two today

I’ve done tabbouleh before but was always really simple with it, this recipe is a bit more involved, not by much just extra ingredients I never used to use.

2 Likes

I’m not from Detroit, I bartended in college in Cedar Falls, IA. My grandfather settled in Detroit after immigrating from Denmark. Dad was born there, so I inherited the curse. It was a dive bar loaded with college women, took me 8 years to graduate. To this day I’ll never understand why people couldn’t wait to get out.

1 Like