Recipes

My mom used to make city chicken all the time, let me see if she has a recipe for it…

1 Like

It’s cinnamon and sugar and softly spoken lies

1 Like

You never know just how you look through other people’s eyes.

Oh my goodness you rock. Butthole Surfers!!!

1 Like

How my mom used to make city chicken… here is what she said:

what I did was buy the meat already on the skewer. Hiller’s used to have them pre-made. I would beat a couple of eggs with a little bit of water. Then, I would get bread crumbs (with Italian seasoning) and mix it with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Dip the meat in the egg mixture then coat with the bread crumbs. And bake. I know some recipes call for braising them in chicken broth but I never did that. Look online for recipes too. There are many variations.

Bake at 350 for about an hour in a baking dish coated with some melted butter or spray with PAM so they don’t stick. I would pour some water around the meat and then cover with foil. Uncover the last ten minutes or so. Don’t douse them with water, just a little bit around.

My mom’s unofficial recipe. But who needs a recipe? Just eye ball it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Thanks man!!! It’s on the superbowl menu

1 Like

Let me know how it turns out!

Don’t forget to add Pepper

1 Like

Dried beef from Waalkes’, Colby cheese, sliced there and summer sausage was U of M game watching food on Saturdays growing up…sometimes a $3 Bun Basket sub too…

3 Likes

holy shit the Bun Basket. That digs up some memories

1 Like

eric cartman chair GIF by South Park

2 Likes

This is largely stolen from an online recipe, with just a couple tweaks. I don’t vary from this at all anymore, unless I can’t find the preferred Rotel Mexican style with lime juice and cilantro, in which case I have to get their normal can.

Chili

1 lb Hamburger (browned & drained)
1/2 lb Ground pork (also browned)

1+ TBS Olive Oil
2+ Cloves chopped Garlic
1 Heaping TBS finely diced Jalepeno
2 diced Sweet Onions
(Add garlic to oil and turn on the heat. Gently simmer the garlic and add jalapeno before the garlic begins to brown, then add the onions and sweat them a while before adding the meat.)

1 can Green Chilies (drained & rinsed)
1 tsp Garlic Salt
1 TBS Cumin
2 TBS Chili Powder
½ tsp+ Smoked Paprika
½ tsp+ Cayenne
3 TBS Sugar
1.5 cans Mexican-Style Tomatoes (Rotel with cilantro and lime)
2 cans (8 oz.) Tomato Sauce (Hunt’s regular)
1 heaping TBS Tomato Paste
1 can (14 oz.) Light Red Kidney Beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can (14 oz.) Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can Beef Broth (Meijer is fine)

1/2 box Jiffy muffin mix to thicken in the end (I’m a Michigander with Chelsea roots. This is allowed.)

That’s it. I usually do a double-batch and freeze a bunch in serving-size portions in zip-lock backs for easy re-heat quick meals.

3 Likes

It’s a smoked salmon kind of day

5 Likes

That’s beautiful. I used to salmon fish on Lake Michigan out of Kewaunee, Wisconsin. There was a local place that smoked fish and we would trade them lake trout if they would smoke our salmon. Love it.

2 Likes

Any of your cats watch “The Menu” yet?

My take away is that it’s really a forlorn love story between a man and the cheeseburger

1 Like

A buddy owns “The Flying Mango” in Des Moines, Guy Fieri has been there a couple times and thinks Mike rocks. Well, he does, but great menu and I love the show.

1 Like

Hahahaha… dude I watched it a couple weeks ago… loved it. Very ■■■■■■ up but a great horror/suspense movie. I have never been in the food/restaurant industry but I feel like there may have been more undertones specific to that I missed… regardless, I love horror movies and that was one of the better ones I’ve seen in awhile.

And I think you are spot on about it being a forlorn love story of a chef and making cheeseburgers who gets completely lost in the culture of high end restaurants, and just essentially kills off his high end patrons. Because he knows the best thing he ever made was a perfect cheeseburger. Lol

I need to watch that one again, like I said one of the better movies I’ve seen in the horror genre of late

1 Like

Oh man!! Haven’t had city chicken since “2 Sisters” closed in downtown Rochester.

2 Likes

Give it a shot at home! Not too crazy ingredients/prep wise.

Never knew of 2 sisters, they were good?

1 Like

Two old polish women that had the best polish restaurant outside of Hamtramek.

2 Likes

You guys ever try is it The Polish Village Cafe? Couldn’t get in after the Lions/Seattle game it was packed.

deleted