Stafford playoff thread

The NFL.com QB ratings have Stafford at 8 just above Dak. I’d probably flip those two but IIRC the range that most here have put Staff in is top 8-12 so that seems about right.

1 Like

You understand that there is no other way to build a Super Bowl contending team than draft picks, right?

That literally no other approach would work, because it would be impossible for salary cap reasons?

Yes, nobody in a draft is a sure thing. That’s why smart GMs like Steve Yzerman want more draft picks, not fewer.

3 Likes
1 Like

Stafford has hard time against Vikings defense , but greenbays defense is always mediocre and stafford might not have to worry much

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T

1 Like

LOL - that is hilarious. Also…appreciate the honesty.

That’s what I think too - about a 3 year window to either murder ass, or end up blowing it up

1 Like

Maybe they just didn’t want to show too much knowing they’d made the playoffs and were just playing for a non bye seed…please? Pretty please?

1 Like

Thought crossed my mind.

Monday night is going to be so fascinating.

3 Likes

The more I think about this, I think how the Rams do says more about McVay than it does Stafford. I think Stafford is what he is - great qb, has really frustrating moments but also can light it up. What has McVay done with Stafford to really be this offensive genius boy guru he is claimed to be?

I think McVay should be more under the microscope than Stafford, and I could see a reality where McVay gets dumped before Stafford.

2 Likes

In a dome, both qbs are good in indoor , will be a good entertainer . Last game against 49 ers was a shoot out like when lions played saints in playoffs . Both games were shoot out neck to neck till stafford throw int in both games . Hope this game they beat cardinals easy

What you think about shanahan? Is he geting lot of free passes? Luckily 49 ers won last game . Debo wr is a monster

1 Like

That’s a good question… let me preface this by saying I don’t follow the 49ers either… but hasn’t shanahan been able to weather different storms and injuries and still field a competitive team? I guess McVay has too… but the difference being shanahan has never had a qb the caliber of Stafford.

So I dunno, that’s a really good question and I’d like to know what people who actually know think about that.

I suppose my point was what has McVay with Stafford done that’s been drastically different than what he did with Goff? His defense got gashed, despite having two HOF players on D.

When you’re the HC you are responsible for everything and knowing your limitations and putting guys in place to help you be better is part of it, not thinking you can do everything yourself, which may have been made obvious when McVay was micromanaging Goff.

1 Like

I get the impression that many of the “yAy MOr beaNz!!1!” crowd, alos cried themselves to sleep the night Matt asked to be traded for said "BEanZz!!1!":thinking:

You tell 'em Kelly…

2 Likes

I hear what you are saying. Until the 2nd half of the season, the narrative was that Goff couldn’t win without McVay. McVay is the genius behind a system QB like Goff.

Now we’ve had a season with Stafford + McVay. Started off great, much like seasons with Goff and now is predictable and petering out.

Goff on the other hand struggled mightily 1st half, but looks pretty darn good with a rookie coach, patchwork line, and WRs in progress. He outplayed Stafford in the last 4-6 games and against some common opponents like the Cards and Pack.

Not saying that Goff is better that Stafford. I’m saying that Goff showed he is not dependent on McVay, and Stafford is starting to struggle with McVay’s offense as time goes on.

McVay is a very good coach and that is backed by 5 straight winning seasons. He struggles as a play caller and should have given up those duties years ago but he is too much of a control freak.

Side note: Campbell did much better than Lynn, but not sure he should be the play caller long term either.

6 Likes

Right on and well said! I think it’s definitely worth consideration… has McVay been figured out, or does he lack the creativity or foresight to game plan and develop plays over time?

I guess also what I’m saying is in regards to Campbell… he (or him and Johnson and Lynn) had that play that worked with St. Brown… they assumed other teams did their homework and then used their homework against them… that to me is a lot of what makes a great play caller… you don’t necessarily have to recreate the run and shoot, but you can build your playcalling throughout the year so 1) you can run all year what you know your team does well and 2) develop plays based off previous tendencies or looks and make new plays based off them so the next team doesn’t see it coming.

And I don’t want more snow and below freezing weather in Michigan for the next 4 months

1 Like

No doubt they’ve been saving some plays for the playoffs.

They had won five straight before losing in OT to a team in a must win situation.

1 Like