Stafford would have stayed

Animated GIF

The Titans game was stolen from us by the refs. It was a flag fest and touchdowns were taken off the board on ticky tack and even a phantom call. The Texans, Bears and Giants games are good examples of the defense showing up but the offense laying an egg.

1 Like

I must say you have an incredible memory, I am always impressed at your recall ability!

So take those 3 games, we go 2-1 instead and finish 11-5 and win the division instead of the packers who won the division (mad beat the lions last game of the year) and we don’t have to travel to Seattle.

Disclaimer - I looked all that up I did not remember that.

You know what I find funny in this…you were calling the 2015 team playoff caliber in one thread and now you are asking for a signature win against a good team. You seemingly agree that the 2013 team was good (7-9) and we know you think the 2015 team (also 7-9) was good (or good enough) but all of Stafford’s wins against 8-8 teams don’t count as signature wins against good teams? I’m just really curious and seriously asking a question… :thinking:

1 Like

saw hes jumped up to 6th best QB just for leaving Lions. A bit messed up, how can they credibly rank QB’s if it is team dependent?
link
Rams ranked 7th in vegas despite Staffford upgrade.

I didn’t pick up on this. You make a good point. Stafford beat plenty of teams who were just 2-3 wins away from being playoff teams. They should revise Stafford’s infamous stat about not being able to beat winning teams on the road and see how many teams that were within 2-3 wins of being a winning team that he beat on the road. :rofl:

2 Likes

That’s is EXACTLY my line of thinking…. :laughing:

This is funny how? Consider that that team would have elevated from playoff caliber to playoff contender if Stafford could have delivered a signature win

It’s funny because you wanna qualify that team based on a fantasy fluke but won’t qualify teams like the 2011 Cowboys, which Stafford beat on the road, that finished 8-8 and had they won one more game they would have been division champs. Or the 2011 Denver Broncos, which Stafford and the Lions destroyed at Mile High 45-10, that won their division and won a playoff game. Or the Raiders from 2011…that finished 8-8 and Stafford led a comeback win on the road…had the Raiders won one more game then they would have been division champs. Obviously none of this qualifies because it doesn’t quite fit your narrative… :man_shrugging:

If you want to consider those signature wins against great teams you’re more than welcome to. I don’t know why opinions are so difficult for you

Let me make my opinion super duper clear:

1. The 2013-2016 Lions were a playoff caliber team overall

2. If Stafford had played better, especially at the tail end of 2013, the Lions likely won a playoff game

3. Yes wins and losses are a team stat but Stafford has an uninspiring .106 record against winning teams. You point to a few times Stafford and the Lions beat good teams, but you think those were ‘signature wins’? Beating Tebow and the vaunted Broncos when they started the season 2-6? Sure the Broncos ended up 8-8 and making the playoffs. But that’s telling if that’s the win you would hang your hat on

[quote=“TNutZz, post:71, topic:11245, full:true”]

If you want to consider those signature wins against great teams you’re more than welcome to. I don’t know why opinions are so difficult for you

Let me make my opinion super duper clear:

1. The 2013-2016 Lions were a playoff caliber team overall

2. If Stafford had played better, especially at the tail end of 2013, the Lions likely won a playoff game

3. Yes wins and losses are a team stat but Stafford has an uninspiring .106 record against winning teams. You point to a few times Stafford and the Lions beat good teams, but you think those were ‘signature wins’? Beating Tebow and the vaunted Broncos when they started the season 2-6? Sure the Broncos ended up 8-8 and making the playoffs. But that’s telling if that’s the win you would hang your hat on
    [/quote]

But you hang your hat on flukes and fantasies for a 7-9 team??

I’m not hanging my hat on anything. I’m just saying that team those few years was a playoff caliber team. And Stafford was a pretty good QB. Not great, or transcendent. He never put the team on his back…

But teams can be playoff caliber without a great QB. Your 2011 Broncos is a good example. Heck teams have even won Superbowls with decent but not great QBs

The team with the dead-last rushing game and a bottom 25% defense in points allowed was a playoff contender [if not for Stafford’s incompetence]?

edited for clarity

2 Likes

Doc the thing is that team never even contended for the playoffs

Stafford was never like Brees, Rodgers, Brady or Wilson who have risen to the occasion. Hell even the 2011 Broncos. Tebow actually won a playoff game.

Stafford is no Tim Tebow I guess

Stafford accounted for all four Lions TDs in the loss against the Saints in the wild card game. That is rising to the occasion. Unfortunately his defense gave up 45 points so there is that… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

But that’s the point of my stats. This is a fantasy.

When 90+% of playoff quarterbacks have at least a top-half rushing game or defense and 70+% of them have a top 25% rushing game or defense, it becomes pretty obvious that the idea of a great quarterback elevating a team that otherwise blows to the extent that the Lions have blown over the last decade just doesn’t happen.

And oh, by the way, the Stafford-led Lions of 2011 are one of the few teams to make the playoffs without a top-half defense or rushing offense. And unlike most of the others, they didn’t do it by winning an ultra-weak division.

2 Likes

he played pretty good in that one I remember. 3 TDs and only two picks. Brees was better

Hey, you could kind of say this was his signature loss

That’s what you guys said about Caldwell too. How did that work out ?

Listen to the radio this morning and they talked about how good this team might be if Caldwell was still here.

1 Like

He threw three TDs and ran for another. He accounted all four TDs scored. So we gonna hang it on Stafford or the defense giving up 45??