The plan with the 2 1st round picks after 2 weeks

Same, he’s trying to make plays now, and not just throwing it out of bounds on 4th down now. Massive improvement.

3 Likes

This kid is such a badass. Gets a revenge game against his former team this weekend. Won’t surprise me if he helps Arkansas upset Bama

https://twitter.com/ran_dynasty/status/1572719701855199232?s=21&t=5mygK-GGHopRe3IihsZS6g

I am changing my opinion on Goff. After watching him I do think he is a QB we can win with. Will he win games like Staffy? No. In fact I don’t recall him losing us this last game and I sure don’t recall him not knowing how to guard the RPO.

But he does look like someone that can play well behind a strong O line.

I will echo others and say I don’t want to leave the draft without a top pick at DT and maybe a LB. CB could be round 2 or 3.

1 Like

Exactly, and I agree with @BigNatty as well. I heard it perfectly on the radio. He’s got some PTSD from how it ended with the Rams. He’s getting there and has been about the least of the problems for the last 8 or so games. He’s getting it back. And hopefully he will continue to get it back as the season progresses.

This is how I look at it. He played very well Sunday, yet missed some (one not his fault). That’s called a bad day at the office. If he plays like this all year with slight improvement as he continues to get more and more comfortable and start to take over this team, he’s the guy.

But he has to show it.

2 Likes

No, because Erin is ugly!

1 Like

100% correct!

It’s obviously rather early to be thinking about the draft. But, for the little it’s worth, my thinking is as follows …

1. Everything being equal - it’s clearly the defense that needs more talent. I’d personally say taking a defensive tackle and a cornerback is the most sensible selection with the first two picks. Cornerbacks are a premium position and this draft is strong at defensive tackle where the Lions are weak.
    2.This said, everything isn’t equal - so if the right player is available at a similar position of need that might trump positional value.
  2. Connected to the previous point, there’s an argument to package up their two picks if they think they can get a key difference maker. So if the front office believes that Bryce Young, Jalen Carter or Will Anderson will transform the team’s fortunes - and that they can get them for a price within reason - then they have to consider it. Most obviously, if they’re confident they can get a real transformative presence at QB you probably have to go for it. For me, it’s easier to find defensive pieces in FA and later in the draft.
2 Likes

I think most seem to think we need either a DT, CB, S or LB the most. I would say getting one of those in Free Agency is a must as well as using our first 2 days worth of picks getting the others.

3 Likes

There were plays last season where he stood in the pocket knowing he was going to get hit. It isn’t a first.

3 playmakers makes this defense top 10.

Get them in free agency or draft i dont care. Draft is obviously cheaper.

DT
LB
S (derwin james type that can cover te and hit)

Get those 3 in this next offseason and we got something

1 Like

So you don’t want to see my 2025 mock draft?

3 Likes

LOL - niiiice!

I’ve come around to the idea of picking a RB in the 2nd or 3rd. The offense is a different beast with Swift in the game and he can’t stay in the game.

Best DL player available with the first pick then BPA it the rest of the way.

5 Likes

a RB better than Swift. , DL DL, DL and more DL.

3 Likes

Defense, defense, defense for sure!

1 Like

I’d maybe throw a CB or two in there as well.

We still don’t know what we have in Paschal and still holding out some hope for Levi. But yes otherwise I agree!

2 Likes

We spent major resources on a WR this year. We’ve got a young star in ASB. Anything beyond a late round pick for the next couple years and you’re just regressing back into Millenism. His reasoning was always, “If we can somehow end up with Mike Williams from USC, then we will score 50 a game next year with Joey.” We need defense. “BTW Matt… take Brian Calhoun!”

2 Likes

Lions largest contracts on defense:

#1 DE Okwara - Signed by Quinn, Resigned by Holmes - Was looking solid, but now injured
#2 DE Hutchinson - Drafted by Holmes RD1 - Already gimpy, but above average so far
#3 CB Okudah - Drafted by Quinn - Just got done being injured, looking like he might be solid
#4 S Walker - Drafted by Quinn - Was looking good early this year but now injured
#5 DT Brockers - Traded for by Quinn and given $$$$ but is useless
#6 DE Harris - Signed by $$$, has been above average
#7 DT Onwuzirke - Drafted RD2 by Holmes, looked below average and now injured
#8 DE Paschal - Drafted RD2 by Holmes, Injured since day 1
#9 DT McNeil - Drafted RD3 by Holmes, has looked average

It’s pretty crappy that of our top 9 contracts on defense, 7 are on the defensive line and once again we need spend even more capital on the DLine to have it be serviceable. How much more money/high draft capital do we need to spend on the DLine before it’s worth something?

2 Likes

Good question.

easy, our defense has been warm dog crap…SO you spend picks and money on defensive players UNTIL they can really do something-what you don’t do is, throw up your hands and say “well they will never be better so why keep funding it?”