They decided to trust Stafford!

What did I write that’s hyperbole?

Cite?

JR seems to be on the opposite end of where you are on the Stafford spectrum. IMO neither of you are reasonable in your extreme apparent love or extreme apparent hate for Stafford. JR said, and I quote, that Stafford brings more to the table than Drew Brees. I don’t wanna harshly criticize another member of this community because they have as much right to express an opinion as anyone else, but I just simply think that’s nuts. Stafford is no where near the level of a Drew Brees and if he was Kris Durham would be a star right now in this league because that is what QBs like Brees do. They turn nothings into somethings. Stafford, while very talented and is harshly held accountable for things beyond his ability or control, is not on Brees’ level. I can accept that. But I just detest the great extremes that I am seeing on this debate.

1 Like

I don’t think so.

I think Stafford is good. Very good. Not great.

I don’t think he sucks worse than any QB of all time.

I would appreciate you not interjecting emotions like “love” and “hate” into the discussion.

I like him. I just don’t think he’s the right answer at QB. I hope I’m wrong. Haters don’t hope they’re wrong.

If you say you think that way about Stafford then I guess you do but I’m being honest, I cannot tell by the way you discuss Stafford. If JR said he hated Stafford I wouldn’t believe him by the way I have seen him post about him. I have seen/read nothing about anti or negative about Stafford from you, which is fine, but nothing you have posted about him tells me that you think he’s any good.

Try reading what I say more literally than trying to determine my motives.

I’m generally just countering those who post facts/arguments I don’t agree with. Take what I say in the context in which I say it.

Well I guess everyone is having the same problem reading you that I am. Because I am not the only one you have had these exchanges with. But whatever, good day sir!

Not everyone. That’s hyperbole.

I have seen more than enough sir. There are at least ten posters that you have had these exchanges with about your opinion on Stafford. I know i am not exaggerating that but I’ll tell you Imma step out of this one because you and I both got a warning from Nate, who I assume is the main guy here and I saw that you got a warning from another mod today. I enjoy this place & I don’t need yopu to drag me in the mud with you. Good day sir!

I think you’re the one who threw mud at me first. (pitchfork, meet the heretic) If you don’t talk to me, I won’t talk to you.

No takebacks.

Drew Brees made John Standeford a star, and John is the closest thing I can think of to Kris Durham.

2 Likes

The throw was good , it was the choice to throw that ball in that spot to Marvin that was not .

Marvin was running full speed and was never going to be able to high point that ball but he could have dove for it which would have stopped the Int , but being down at that point and it being late 3rd quarter after a big turnover by the Chargers we needed a drive and on 1st Down and 15 with a RB in the flat wide open the throw should not have happened, and the design and closeness of both Marvin and Golladay being so close to one another on such a deep route meant no matter who he threw it too the Safety was available to help. I did not like the play call in that position

What indication do you have that Stafford with Martz would have been record setting INT’s. It was an exaggerated statement, which I think you would agree, and was used to support the narrative that you were providing. Isn’t that the definition of Hyperbole or do you actually believe that Stafford would have broke George Blanda’s record of 42 interceptions thrown in a season?

Martz QBs often have high interception rates due to the scheme. Very aggressive scheme. More picks, more INTs.

Warner’s 2 years with Martz, his picks went way up. Low before. Low after…

Stafford, without a governor (Caldwell) throws a high amount of picks.

Maybe I’m wrong? But 700+ pass attempts with his rookie int% (5.3). That’s upper 30’s.

Certainly Lions records. NFL records possible.

I probably should have been more clear that I also meant that we’d have the 2007 cast but sub in Stafford for Kitna. There’d be a lot of picks, IMO. Lots. Martz wouldn’t have cared, either. Because I think there would have been a lot of TDs, too.

You are talking about rookie Stafford in 2007, what kind of conversation is that even supposed to support? Every year other than he rookie year he has been 3.0% or lower in his int%. You can make whatever comment, or have whatever opinion you want but you are making exaggerated claims that serve little purpose. 2012 for instance Stafford threw the ball 727 times and had 17 interceptions. The worst year other than his rookie year was 2013 where he had 19 ints on 634 attempts. Ultimately, like I said have whatever opinion you want but you state an extreme as if it is fact but clearly don’t expect it to be taken literally which would be hyperbole.

Also go look at Kitna’s INT% pre Martz and you will see he was above 3% 8 out of 9 years and he only threw 22 and 20 interceptions each year he was under Martz in Detroit. So why would Stafford have thrown significantly more interceptions when he has historically thrown fewer than Kitna and also has thrown fewer than Kitna did in more games.

Just not sure I understand the purpose or what you feel that opinion is supposed to represent unless you are merely using rookie Stafford as your barometer.

Yeah, where did Durham go after the Lions?
It’s Matt’s fault he sucked.

There are people who follow media narratives and I would put you in that realm respectfully. Brees himself and his coach have spoken about their respect for Stafford and what a talent he is, especially as he usually beats them. When the Lions played them in the playoffs they went for it on every 4th down as they didn’t feel they could give him the ball back and stop him. Records and stats are used for people that need some supporting information to form an opinion as they don’t know what they are looking at. Stafford can threaten anywhere on the field with power, touch and accuracy and from multiple arm angles. Brees is very accurate and is great throwing timing routes. If he has to move and throw or things break down he isn’t nearly the threat without being to set his feet. Brees is in a great situation as they have given him an offense that can hide his weaknesses. You can certainly believe whatever you want, but I am nowhere near on the fringe here.

When Stafford throwing and taking risks is the only possibility of winning, yes you will see more picks as chances need to be taken. If you are Russel Wilson and you can throw the ball 15 times with a great run game and a top defense to win a SB, great but that is never a position Stafford has been in. We still have no chance of winning without Stafford carrying the load.

1. Kurt Warner + Martz = 5.2% INT.

Stafford has a bigger arm than anyone Martz had and you (should) know that Martz would put it up.

I’m not sure what your purpose is.

Again he threw 18 int’s with that 5.2% and threw the ball 347 times in 11 games. Following year was 4% 22 int’s on 546 attempts. I have no purpose in this conversation and it is the last response I am going to make to this specific discussion. But saying that Stafford would have “set int records” disregards his career and how other QB’s performed under Martz. You are making some extremely exaggerated statement about setting interception records with no basis in reality, I call you out on it, and I am the one with the confusing purpose? Take Stafford or leave him but why make baseless statements to support your comment? Why not just talk about the missed open receivers, poor touch, and inability to win the big game. Actually defendable stances. We have had these conversations before I just feel that your methods of having these conversations is disingenuous and controversial for the sake of it and that comment was no different.

1 Like

I am not going to debate this any further…Brees is so far above Stafford it reads as a comedy skit for you to say otherwise. All of those amazing things that you stated that Stafford can do has led him to no higher than a 6th seed all three times he led the team to the playoffs. & all these attributes got him no where in 2 of the 3 games. I was actually impressed in the New Orleans playoff loss. In that game Stafford did all he could to keep us in it. But Dallas he had an opportunity to do what everyone on this board says he’s so great at, 4th quarter comebacks. Down 4 he could have led a game winning drive. He fumbled and the team lost. Seattle was a disaster. Please understand Mr. JR that I am very neutral on the Stafford debate. I will agree with his strengths and weaknesses. But what I won’t do is lie to myself or any of you about what he is good/great or bad at. No need to exaggerate it either way. Brees, no matter who you line up with him, plays and produces at the same elite level. Now receivers, young receivers, not as talented receivers, running game, no running game, he still gets it done. Brees has never struck me as one that needed perfect conditions to win.

2 Likes