Thibodeaux interview

We had this going in another thread.

If I could summarize my position, largely influenced by Suh and his dealings with Detroit:

I don’t want to pick anyone at 2 that is overlooking Detroit already.
That’s it.

Suh was overlooking us. He was already talking about a 5-year career before he was even drafted. We’d have been better of with McCoy from a team-building standpoint. He signed a 6-year deal and he re-upped early with Tampa. Was he the player that Suh was? No, but he was a foundational player for a longer time in TB than Suh was in Detroit. Yes, it is ironic that Suh is in TB right now. Still, he was described VERY early on as quasi-narcissistic and in the grand scheme of things let us down.

Thibs talks way more about “brand” than I want to hear from anyone that we’re trying to build around. It gives me the feeling that he’s not only looking past Detroit, he’s looking past the NFL.

No, this isn’t a Hutch-seeking opinion. I don’t really care who the pick is at 2. They can go with Karlaftis, Hamilton, Willis or Lloyd for all I care. Really. I just want a guy that is 100% about the league and his new team, trusting that the money and opportunities come with production. Dude can trash-talk other schools all he wants. Dan Campbell did it when he was a Senior at TAMU. If he’s going to waive a finger as a pseudo-intellectual while lacking a grasp on the English language, you can’t help but see it as shallow, plastic.

5 Likes

As a prospect (talent wise) I’d love to have him.

When I start looking at the big picture I wonder about him. There’s plenty of room for concern on that front.

Is he the type to make business decisions?
Is he the type to want out of DET at first chance?
Could he be more of a locker-room headache?

A veteran coaching staff and quality locker room culture would ease a lot of those concerns for me.

Holmes will need to do his homework.

Last year I felt the positives outweighed the concerns on Parsons. He was clearly the biggest difference maker in that draft class.

This year you can’t say that with conviction for KT. He’s a good player with a lot of upside potential but he’s not the clear cut best defensive player in his class.

I’d still take him because the upside is huge but if we passed for Hamilton, a trade down or a WR I’d understand that decision.

Bottom line is we need to make the right choice that has long term solutions for the Lions.

3 Likes

Interesting comments by all…Perhaps I’m missing something but he’s explaining why he chose Oregon over AL when he was 18. He doesn’t know if he gets hurt or busts, he just said if things didn’t work for some reason or after football, he wanted a better education and Oregon also had the Nike hook (although I don’t believe any football player gets a job)…Perhaps we cut him some slack for the interview. I’m more concerned about finding out why he seems to take plays off.

3 Likes

I am torn…he is very intelligent and a free thinker, I am fine with that. If he doesn’t love football that could be concerning in a kneejerk evaluation. We have all seen those guys who didn’t really love the sport fall off the minute they got paid…but here is the thing…if you are aware enough to make a decision to go to school and network with Nike…then you are also looking to expand your brand at the next level. You can’t expand your brand if you suck because no one is going to want you endorsing them. I can appreciate the concern but I am actually intrigued by the kid. As @CuriousHusker said Garret is also wired differently then most NFL DE’s and it has worked just fine for him…

4 Likes

I actually really like his thought process, and think he sounds like a forward thinking intelligent dude. I don’t have the same concerns most of you have about him “not loving the game” and all that, but the one concern I do have would be him wanting to move past Detroit when his rookie deal is up (and franchise tags) to a big market team to really blow up his name and brand. The only way we could probably stave that off would be by winning big consistently while he was here.

3 Likes

That would be SUH 2.0

I could see that as well, very good point. If we are winning, then maybe things change.

1 Like

Winning does, so does money…

2 Likes

This…EXACTLY. Personally I don’t think the Lions could go wrong with either guy. But I don’t have to shit on one to promote the other.

4 Likes

Really, care to share a few posts where this thought comes from?
I could care less about what school a player attended. I have seen 9 of 10 posters say the same. Why are you making the Excuse for KT’s obvious lack of effort on being a Hutch fixation.

I want the LIONS to pick an All Pro FOOTBALL player at 2OA. I don’t see it in KT. I believe the stud from the top 10 of this draft is the safety from ND.

There are plenty of posters who are shitting on one to promote the other, Look at the Fanspeak mock draft thread.

2 Likes

Also…look at the Top 2 picks locked thread

2 Likes

On the Jax board they are all clowning on Thibs for the astigmatism gaffe while at the same time disparaging Alabama for its lack of academics. Most prefer Aiden to be the pick

1 Like

Well I heard Mr. Thibodeaux talk about her
Well I heard ol’ Kayvon put her down
Well I hope Kayvon Thibodeaux will remember
The correct word is stigma you dumba**

1 Like

I think both will be good. I think KT has higher ceiling. I think Hutch has better floor. I don’t think either will disappoint.

1 Like

If he skips the combine that will be yet another red flag.

2 Likes

Hoping for this

IIRC, Thibs addressed that exact point in a written interview a while back. Will that thought burn within him and lead him to maximize his talents? Some team is going to find out.

1 Like

Baker Mayfield has expanded his brand and well…

According to speculations, Mayfield earns an estimated $10 million annually from endorsements alone.Aug 20, 2021

1 Like

Maybe that’s a culture he doesn’t want to be involved in. Having just spent 6 years in Jax and now in NY for the winter, I can faithfully say racism is still a problem down there in a way that is completely different than up here, where it still exists in pockets. But is not openly embraced. Confederate flags on the back of pickup trucks are not an aberration in the south. I’m a white dude and couldn’t stand it after a while. I can totally understand ANYONE who doesn’t want to have bs like that shoved in their face regularly. No you won’t see it at a Jags game, around town absolutely.

3 Likes

Wow, someone is a bit sensitive, I missed the personal attack part.