Tyrell Crosby throwing cold water on the Lions' current regime

True, but the lack of conditioning was evident before the back became a complaint

4 Likes

no doubt about that……

but my point is that he came into training that heavy….
BEFORE he hurt his back.

That Indy game was only 17 days or so after he first reported any back pain.

4 Likes

I was talking to a buddy. No not Jon. :grinning: But a Lions fan and he made a great point. Imagine being in a locker room where a guy quits in his team over a hamstring (at the time) and you got your center wanting to keep playing w a broken fucking throat…….

3 Likes

Amen to that……

More Patricia ripple effect imo
Also Cosby wasn’t making huge scene. Seems like he was going through proper communication

I don’t think a single player like Cosby has too much leverage because there’s so much evidence the nfl is a brutal business

1 Like

I have no inside information, only the narrative that Crosby offered which cast shade on Holmbell and the Lions.

Here’s a less flattering narrative with shade in the other direction. Again, I’m not saying this happened:

Doctors and MRI results in September and October confirm significant degeneration of discs in his lower back. That doesn’t happen overnight and surely existed to some extent during 2021 OTAs. Was Crosby oblivious to this or did he suspect? Did he know?

If he did know and had good reason to believe that his play in 2022 would suffer and jeopardize him making the final 53, someone in his position might 1) choose not to attend OTAs and risk having his condition discovered and 2) discover a pulled leg muscle and then a back injury in training camp, which 3) would guarantee his full salary of $2.18M–more than he made in his first 3 years.

I of course would never do something like that and would rather toil for 20 years at an ordinary job to make that amount. It wouldn’t even pass through my mind… :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

3 Likes

He no-showed OTA’s and didn’t communicate w the team till later and explained later that he was homesick. There is also a rumor that is “quit on the team bc of their most recent draft and how it impacted him”.

Your right, they don’t have a lot of leverage but by all accounts he wasn’t helping himself then and he is not helping himself now………if he ever wanted to play football again that is.

3 Likes

Ok I guess maybe he wasn’t communicating but he wasn’t in the press either.

He kinda got dogged in his development
Deserving opportunity earlier
Must’ve been miserable under Patricia
Between college and pro they should take care of these players.

1 Like

The one thing that gives me pause is that this isn’t the first time players have said this about the lions medical staff. Deandre levy said he was misdiagnosed, Calvin Johnson said it, Crosby and I’m forgetting a couple others. I’d look into this if I’m Sheila. This is multiple players going back a decade. It can’t all just be bad blood.

1 Like

Actually he has spoken pretty highly of the last regime, so go figure.

To what extent are teams obligated to help players? He got offered a an injury settlement for the first 4 games and he rejected it. And he was paid more money in 4 years then a lot of people will see in a lifetime……not to mention the401k they have. I think it’s roughly match up to 26k a year after their first year. So Crosby if he took advantage could have invested roughly 150k in that plan….someone who is better at math can check that, I suck at math.

https://www.sportsfinancial.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/NFLRetPlanReport.pdf

1 Like

Honestly, I believe it’s different staffs entirely. I could be wrong but I believe MP brought in his own people. The people MCDC fired last year.

2 Likes

I think you’re right. the chief trainer guy who was fired after this mess was brought with Fatty from the Pats in 2019

2 Likes

I know they got rid of some of the trainers. What about the team doctor?

1 Like

Honestly, don’t know, I curious now, will look into it.

He probably had back pain for some time before he reported it. Possibly not.

I ruptured a disc a decade ago. The pain started in August after playing paintball but wasn’t so debilitating I couldn’t stretch and run. When it ruptured in October I was down for the count.

2 Likes

Thank you for that clarification and that’s exactly what I was thinking with how everything played out. They fired that trainer at the beginning of the season… so they obviously thought he was not doing a good job and finally had all the necessary info to fire him.

The Crosby stuff, I dunno… I liked him as a player and hoped he could be a swing backup tackle for us, but I agree he did not make a good first impression and probably could’ve done a better job communicating with a whole new coach and front office.

1 Like

Apparently he felt he was a starting RT……draw your own conclusions….given what we have done recently in the draft.

1 Like

I had bad sinuses for 12 years, until it turned out to be an acoustic neuroma (brain tumor). All of the classic symptoms.
Then, they broke my neck during the brain surgery…and, didn’t get the whole tumor.
And then, told me neck pain was normal for 3 months.
And then (while reviewing the MRI), cooly said, “we can fix that”.
MFer, you ain’t fixing shit!

2 Likes

So all that stuff he said about supporting a former Oregon Duck was kinda BS in a way too. Or he was going to be supportive but, didn’t like the fact he was going to be a backup at best

1 Like

Hard to be a starting NFL RT if you find reasons not to practice and not to be in shape. As always there are two sides to the story and probably imperfect actions from both sides. But if I whined and pointed fingers everytime i thought i was wronged i would never get anything done. Sometimes life sucks. Winners move on - losers point fingers, play the victim and seldom find success.

2 Likes