We are going to pick #2 overall for sure

Lions also have a lot of needs. I wouldn’t drop back for peanuts because you miss out of the limited blue chip players, but two extra first round picks is not peanuts. We still have a considerable amount of needs. Two starting safeties, starting ILB, starting 3-4 DE, edge rusher, two WR’s, and maybe a future QB. Plus things like a legitimate #2 TE, veteran CB, depth at G/T, and depth at safety.

I love Hutchinson, but he is not that good a prospect for me to pass up three first rounders in the early 20’s.

I have jumped off that bandwagon with Goff’s play, but if we had the extra picks it would be the perfect time to take a shot if we liked someone. I personally want to see if someone falls to our pick in the 3rd. At that spot it isn’t a big committment and even if they develop into a quality backup it is worth the pick. Only guy I could see slipping that far that I like is Ridder.

If we end up with extra picks in the top 3 rounds somehow, it’s a mistake to not use them to help Goff win games next year. Not saying we should build around Goff, but 10-7 and a trip to the playoffs isn’t some pipe dream next season. The more talent we can get on the team, the better.

1 Like

Perhaps. The biggest needs I see on this team are DE and WR. At #2, you instantly have one of the top 2 DEs in the draft. Drop down to 5 and that’s gone, and the talent level of the next guy down is substantially lower.

1 Like

I see all 5 of those guys as top 20 picks… so I can’t imagine it being possible.

That sounds good in all but you are counting on rookies to play like vets to get to 10-7. The Lions need playmakers and they shouldn’t be passing on blue chip talent to have more average players.

6 Likes

Right. Levi and Alim will play better because they’re not rookies AND our rookies won’t play like rookies. That’s the only way you get to 10 wins.

1 Like

NAILED IT!

1 Like

Detroit is NOT going to be a high flying “Greatest Show on Turf” kind of team. We are going to run the ball, dink & dunk passing with an occasional deep pass to keep the other team honest.

Using one of our top 3 picks on WR along a few other pieces (O-line depth, FA WR, FA TE) and our offense is complete.

Couple that with a major investment in defense (2 of top 3 picks plus some FA’s) and we have the possibility to be 6-9 win team next year. 2023 is where it can all come together for a serious playoff run.

1 Like

I think you underestimate how important “explosive” plays are to this regime.

That sounds terrible. Ultimately, nfl teams are an entertainment product, and nobody wants to watch dink and dunk football. If that’s the plan, then I think the nfl will go out of their way to help us stay in the cellar. We’d be asking for it.

Draft a guy like Willis, who’s a guaranteed highlight reel, and watch the prime time come to us. Give the ppl what they want.

People wants wins. Superbowls.

1 Like

Yes! Instead of “dunk and dunk,” I think of it more like a fighter throwing body shots and wearing an opponent down.

This is gonna be beautifully ugly

Bring back the Great Lakes offense. Chunk plays baby!

1 Like

No matter what Thib or Hutch. Could also try to trade down a touch but might miss out on the elite safety. BTW hi fellas, who remembers me from TLF?

1 Like

About darn time herb

I’m struggling to. Not sure I remember any names outside of WindyCityLionFan and Steongbad.

I remember them, Dan, Roar56, Russman

1 Like

What in the world. “Resident draft expert”?

Pats have dominated the league and have been to/won many SB’s for near 20 years with dink and dunk football :man_shrugging: