Wentz to Indy

I honestly never felt Wentz was the answer. PHI offense was better with Foles than him in my opinion.

Why they extended him is beyond me. They should have dealt him earlier, kept Foles as a bridge and went out and found some one else.

I do think PHI could grab a veteran and give Hurts a year but I think it makes more sense for them to draft a QB this year.

1 Like

Truly hilarious.

I was thinking about giving them a call. I’m 5 ft 8, and 49 years old. I run a 6.8 40, but I’m WAY tougher than T-bursk.

If they hire me, I promise to tank against the Lions. :wink:

[quote=“CuriousHusker, post:53, topic:9163”]

My real prediction:

1 Like

Ah yes, the year of ABA (anybody but Adams–Gaines Adams). There were two us of who were fervent members of that club.

I remember being majorly ticked off when the Lions passed on Senior Bowl Defensive MVP David Harris (especially given that LB was a position of need), and took Drew Stanton instead. Marinelli reportedly said he didn’t fit what the Lions were looking for in a Tampa 2 LB. Ugh.

Thereafter, the Lions (along with a lot of other teams), made bad choices at DE:

2 54 Kansas City Chiefs Turk McBride DE Tennessee SEC
2 56 Denver Broncos Tim Crowder DE Texas Big 12
2 57 Philadelphia Eagles Victor Abiamiri DE Notre Dame Ind. (FBS)
2 58 Detroit Lions Ikaika Alama-Francis DE Hawaiʻi WAC from New Orleans[33]
2 62 Chicago Bears Dan Bazuin DE Central Michigan MAC from San Diego[36]
3 65 Oakland Raiders Quentin Moses DE Georgia SEC

In fact, Round 1 wasn’t any better for DEs:

1 4 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Gaines Adams DE Clemson ACC
1 8 Atlanta Falcons Jamaal Anderson DE Arkansas SEC from Houston[19]
1 13 St. Louis Rams Adam Carriker DE Nebraska Big 12
1 17 Denver Broncos Jarvis Moss DE Florida SEC from Jacksonville[21]

Ironically, the two best DEs from that entire class were from Rounds 3 and 4:

3 83 Carolina Panthers Charles Johnson DE Georgia SEC
4 102 Minnesota Vikings Brian Robison DE Texas Big 12 from Tampa Bay[44]

I suppose there’s a lesson there about trading down = more picks = more lottery tickets, etc., but then again, the 2007 draft was loaded in Round 1, which made that easier to do.

1 Like

I think that draft and passing on David Harris was one of those times where a bunch of fans drinking beer on the couch (us) were definitely smarter than the millionaires in charge making decisions. I remember the board having lengthy discussions about the possibility of trying to trade back and get Harris at the end of the 1st round. And there he was in the 2nd round, ripe for the taking.

1 Like

Well, I’ll tell you what. Having Goff doesn’t necessarily mean we won’t go QB. I think Goff is the far superior prospect to Hurts. Some teams are smart and don’t draft year to year like BQ did. They look at a fairly deep QB class this year and a pretty terrible class next year. I don’t think they intend to be picking as high next season, same as what we are thinking. So unless you are totally happy with your QB and you are picking in the top 10 I think QB is in play. I don’t think the Eagles are “totally happy” with Hurts as the guy moving forward.

2 Likes

I disagree with that. I think Hurts is better right now, let alone going forward.

This appears to be the Falcons logic as to why they’re taking a QB. They don’t plan on picking this high for quite some time, and they wouldn’t be now without their various choke jobs, so they want to get a guy to build for the future and go impact for the rest of the draft.

I totally agree that QB should be in play. I think they should get “their guy” (please be Fields) regardless of what it takes. This is more than a retool like everyone that believed Holmes thinks, and the FO knows it. Get the guy of the future now, and get whatever you can out of Goff. If it’s a bridge year or two, so be it. If it’s more capital, apparently the WFT will be happy to oblige.

I don’t think PHI is even sold on Hurts. I think QB is in play for them.

Goff has made the Probowl twice in 4 years.

I think Atlanta is in the same spot the Lions were last year. Aging vet but it might be too early to give up on him. The cap involved says your married to him a little longer.

I do think QB is tempting for them but I think they eventually do what the Lions did and go another route. It’s not time to give up yet… They could trade down.

That whole thing looks like a toss up. I don’t really think there’s anything that’s showing their hand one way or another. If there is let me know, because I have no idea.

And Mitchell Tribuisky made a pro bowl. Evan Engram made the pro bowl this year. Ryan Tannehill made a pro bowl. Kirk Cousins made the pro bowl last year. Pro Bowls IMO will never be a good stat for a player. They’re like QB wins.

I think that’s where Sewell is going. Bengal fans are going to have a rough draft night.

Atlanta can’t even pull the plug and rebuild for 3-ish years anyway because of Ryan’s contract. Might as well give him everything you can.

1 Like

I have no idea what metric could possibly be used to arrive at that position.

2 Likes

It’s not going to take long for everyone to realize Hurts sucks. If you can’t pass the ball in the NFL, you better be a Lamar Jackson-level athlete to make up for it, and Hurts is not.

2 Likes

So it appears thinking Hurts is good is more controversial on this board than thinking Fields is good. I didn’t think that was possible since it isn’t Stafford related. Dang. I just think Hurts has all the mental traits to be a great franchise QB. He’s an above average runner, and the throwing ability might be coming along. If it doesn’t, who knows how far that will take them. He’ll probably suck of that’s the case.

I think Hurts could succeed in a 2018 Bears style offense. I doubt any NFL team is excited about going full on college offense just to work around a QBs deficiencies.

One of the few times there was something resembling consensus on a potential pick. I was so geeked he fell, and then so deflated when we didn’t take him.

DK Metcalf was like that, too… a couple of voices wanted Greedy, but most people here were pounding the table for Metcalf.

I preferred AJ Brown :man_shrugging:

1 Like

To be honest no ones showing their hand and if they were it would probably be a smoke screen. So I wouldn’t trust it … lol

But I don’t think Hurts has shown enough to be crowned the heir apparent.

I honestly believe PHI wants to get a QB and if they fail that Hurts would be the backup plan until next year. But their picking at 6OA and there’s 5 potential QB’s to take.

Question is will they trade up or wait and see what falls to them?

I think because of Hurts they will probably wait. They can sit pat and see who falls to them. I could see PHI taking Fields or Lance and letting them sit until they are ready.

Which means Mia and ATL could be prime trade partners for teams looking to leap frog them. Someone like CAR maybe.

I think there’s a good chance Atlanta trades down with either CAR or SF.

1 Like

A.J. Brown or Metcalf you couldn’t go wrong. The second round is about trying to get first round talent. Its not the time to start reaching for need.

I wanted A.J. Brown but knew Quinn wouldn’t draft a wr after taking Hockenson in the first round.

It’s the Bob “I’m the smartest guy in the room” stuff that got him fired. Jahlani Tavai? Really?

Several other players would have made more sense in Round 2 than that “reach.”