What to make of the Lions silence in free agency?

Pot meet kettle. You’re obnoxious.

1 Like

I have no issue with what the Lions did today so far. It doesn’t matter if the deal is reached today, tomorrow or noon on Wednesday, they all go into effect at the same time. Not to mention that generally only the top dollar players go in the first day. Which are exactly the guys that the Lions are not in a position to grab. Whether you or i like it, the Lions are doing a true rebuild. What that means they are being picky about who they bring in. Any veteran they get has fit what they are building and if he doesn’t then it is a waste of cap space to just grab someone because of their stats.

2 Likes

To stay up, or to not stay up.

2 Likes

Lol. And he did nothing last year as well. I would go to bed.

I’m pretty sure the Lions found like 8-9 starters in last year’s draft between picks and UDFA signings, and they have even more picks the next two years, including 2 extra 1st rounders. Statistically you are probably correct, but I’d say we were a huge outlier to that stat last year.

Also, if you can find a way to acquire more draft capital… that’s more kicks at the can. If you can scout and draft better than league average, solid. If you can develop better than league average, you see where I’m going. Great organizations are fully capable of building primarily through the draft. Yes, even in the NFL

I’d much rather go this route and be average for awhile, than make outlandish deals on superstars, only to win 7 games, reinforce the losing culture, and create more dead cap space.

1 Like

Brad Holmes still operates on LA time.

2 Likes

8 or 9 startes on the lions roster and not on most rosters.

1 Like

They can tamper. They can’t sign until Wednesday.
They’re not going to tell us who they’re talking to. They never do, until they sign someone.

Holmes and Campbell can slow roll it if they want, it’s their careers on the line.

So go ahead, slow role it, bargain shop, and avoid paying for the real talent.

All I know is that THIS SEASON this team better be on the cusp of hitting the playoffs.

2023 better be in the playoffs or Campbell and Holmes should be gone.

What I do feel is absolutely critical this off season is getting our WR Corps in order. We have to be able to properly evaluate whether Goff is going to be our QB for the foreseeable future. You cannot properly evaluate him when all you have are 2nd rate WRs.

3 Likes

Exactly. And if they talk to someone and they don’t sign, we’ll never know. Oh to have a wiretap on Holmes’ phone right now.

1 Like

New draft strategy. We’ll just use all first five picks on WRs and hope a few hit. The beans finally deliver!

Well, the Gruden situation proves it can be done.

1 Like

Unless you were sarcastic about the slow roll it part, this is just contradictory.

Translation: “Yeah guys take your time. We understand you took over a historically pathetic organization with a poor culture and dead cap space… but by the way, if we aren’t pushing for the playoffs in year 2 I want to tear it all down again”

Lions fans lmao

1 Like

Come on, I like Holmes and DC and think they will get it right, BUT 8 starters from the draft and UDFA??? Don’t think it was 8 that started the season, most were backups thrown in because of injuries and need I remind you they got the team to a whooping 3 wins. So I wouldn’t anoint those guys NFL starters.

Davicus is correct, you can NOT build a team on draft alone, at some point you have to get some “quality” (not top tier) FA signings to compliment the draft.

3 Likes

Nitpick the number of starters and their ability, but I’m pretty sure most analysts agree the Lions had quite the draft and UDFA haul last year.

I said primarily through the draft. I’m a huge proponent of signing quality/prove-it/overlooked FA’s without mortgaging the future. This conversation started because guys were acting upset we didn’t bring in a first ballot HOF’er on day 1 of FA period

Agreed. Use the draft to get core/foundation type players. Linemen, defense, build depth. The ‘fluff’ players: receivers, etc will always be around to pick up later.

2 Likes

This is not necessarily the case. Free agency is starting the same way the entire Free Agency last season went. Low-risk, middle-of-the-road talent on short contracts or ‘culture builders’. Not that these are necessarily bad things, but at some point you have to show a commitment to bringing in actual talent. Not guys who start for us because we’re so bad, when they’d be depth on 25 other teams in the NFL.

1 Like

Yes!

HUGE YES!

If by “average,” you mean win 10 games next year (cuz we’re gonna), then… YES!

2 Likes

Natty, you know I love you, but your optimism is making me nauseous lol

1 Like

LIKE …in 6 minutes