Why I think Anthony Richardson's in play at #6

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying (not to speak for him). I don’t this is a black and white thing. They could absolutely still be planning for the future, draft a QB, and keep Goff… or trade Goff… or anything! Like the OP stated in the first post, they just open up options for themselves, especially when you have a young up and coming QB with potential… personally I still think despite Trey lance’s struggles, SF could get a lot for him if they decided to trade him.

I like AR15 as a QB personally, but like I said that’s just me. I don’t think he’s as inaccurate as his numbers show, I think not being on a good team with not a lot of talent around him affected that. But that’s just my opinion and I can understand why some people aren’t enthralled with him.

All that being said, the Lions have this year with all these draft picks and I think it would be very wise of them to see the forest for the trees and take a player or two who could give some sustained success to the rebuild. I think they have all said they are looking to building a team that can compete for years and years… they aren’t just looking at this as they have 2 years to get it done. I truly think they want to make the lions a team like the Steelers, chiefs, etc, who are always competitive and have a chance every year.

Whether drafting AR15 or any other QB with one of those 5 picks they have is the answer I don’t know, but I don’t think it’s out of the question and they would be doing a disservice to the team and themselves if they weren’t looking at that as an option

3 Likes

Im not trying to be argumentative, but when i hear Holmes and Campbell say things like this, it clearly points a certain direction. Now to throw that out and draft a project at 6, seems pretty contradictory to what’s been said

Asked if he could say unequivocally Goff was the Lions’ quarterback of the future, Holmes said, “I think it’s a lot easier to get worse at quarterback than to get better at quarterback, in this league.”Jan 11, 2023

Lions GM Brad Holmes says team never viewed Jared Goff as ‘bridge’ …
Jan 10, 2023 — Lions GM Brad Holmes says team never viewed Jared Goff as ‘bridge’ quarterback · Goff helped the Lions improve from 3-13 in 2021 to 9-8 in 2022.

Link to SI article for full comment

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/.amp/news/lions-did-not-view-jared-goff-bridge-quarterback&ved=2ahUKEwin9IaRgv38AhVblWoFHXZsAtkQtwJ6BAgmEAE&usg=AOvVaw2Ee87wOtcLXemwNsoFxwrj

This is actually ambiguous af. Everyone acts like it’s this slam dunk endorsement of Goff, but you could also hear it like this: “despite the fact that Goff is average, it’s a lot easier to get worse at that position.”

I said in my original post that I think Brad loves Goff, but that he may very well still try and upgrade. In fact I hope he’s always trying to upgrade. It’s not a marriage, he can love more than one player.

6 Likes

That’s not all he said, I linked the article. I think it speaks clearly on their thoughts

1 Like

You’ll notice that the Steelers passed on last year’s Anthony Richardson and instead drafted a QB. So apparently they like that winning thing.

2 Likes

I think the Malik Willis (or Terrelle Pryor) comp to Richardson is way off. I wrote this in another thread about Richardson after I’d finished studying him:

"Color me pleasantly surprised by what I’ve seen from Richardson on tape.

His pocket presence is borderline uncanny, sometimes it seems like he’s got eyes in the back of his head. He does a lot of things that are hard to teach, he keeps his eyes downfield in the face of pressure, he’s really good at subtly moving up in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. He also makes plenty of pre-snap adjustments and goes through his progressions far better than I thought he would.

And when he does take off and run he does it like a RB. This isn’t just an athletic QB who can make teams pay with his speed, he really understands how to set up blocks and runs through more arm tackles than any QB I think I’ve ever seen. I think he’ll be the best weapon on the ground in the league as a QB.

He has a ton to work on with his lower body mechanics as well as his accuracy and touch, but those things are more teachable. If he goes to the right place he could really be a weapon in a couple of years. Remember he’s only 20.

TLDR: I think Richardson has the stuff you can’t teach in spades. If he gets good coaching he could be one of the best QBs in the league in a couple of years."

I disagree very strongly that he’s only on the level of prospect as Willis, who I really didn’t like (ask @3rdRGR) or Terrelle Pryor. I’m not saying he’s a perfect prospect, far from it, and as I’ve mentioned multiple times he wouldn’t be my favorite choice at that spot. But I can absolutely 100% see the superstar he can be.

2 Likes

Frankly it’s mine too. I’d be thrilled with it. This is not me advocating for Richardson. This is me using logical reasons why it could happen.

5 Likes

I hate that you and others have to go the extra length to reiterate things that you were very intentionally explicit about saying and NOT saying.

I get why you do but its exhausting to witness and think speaks to a lack of respect by other posters. At first it seemed intentional but after witnessing it for so long I’m coming around to the idea that maybe some people just aren’t capable of comprehending nuance and can’t help but automatically jump to black & white thinking and compulsively trying to convince you to think the way they do.

Not that anyone asked though :man_shrugging:t5: carry on

5 Likes

I gotta say, some of those pull down fakes where it looks like he’s gonna throw but doesn’t are impressive as hell… there was one in that highlight video where he was gonna get sacked, faked a throw spun out of a sack and hit a dude wide open in the end zone… then another one where he pulled it back in at the last second and ran…

That is something I don’t know I’ve seen a ton in a lot of QBs, the ability to be in the middle or end of a throw and pull it back in so quickly and fake everyone out like that… that’s one thing that impresses me about him

2 Likes

I really don’t have a disagreement with any if that. The thing that continuously gets me is this assumption Goff isn’t part of the plan. He’s 28, in his prime as our window is opening. He’s a top 10 QB that just led a top 5 offense. With playoff experience and been to a SB. He clearly fits a team looking for a 10 yr run. The staff and GM love him, he apparently loves it here. The cap argument falls apart quickly when it boils down to the fact . …IF…AR15 hit, his cap hit would be higher, potentially significantly higher than Goffs in 4 yrs

3 Likes

Oh I remember what he said. It’s one of those GM-speak quotes where people hear what they want to hear based on their own opinions, which is exactly what Brad intended (man I love that guy).

You heard ‘we love Goff,’ other people heard ‘we want to move on from Goff,’ I heard ‘we’re fine with Goff but if we can upgrade, we’re fine with that too.’

Also I think it’s generally a good rule to remember that GMs, coaches, and other front office personnel lie. All the time. They have to, it comes with the job.

2 Likes

If I could give that infinite hearts/claps/thumbs-ups, I would.

1 Like

A career 54% completion percentage that has only thrown 9 more touchdowns than interceptions? I would literally puke my guts out, smash my tv and burn all my lions gear and turn my tickets in after 37 years. Would be the absolute worst pick ever. He will be out the leagur in 3 years

Sounds more like wishful thinking from the antu Goff crowd. I know Holmes is not that stupid and willing to wager he wont be the pick

1 Like

Right on I hear ya… and I do think Goff is part of the plan, and he has been. I guess all I’m saying is both can be true… it’s not just about AR15, just about drafting a QB… so let’s say we draft someone at QB and he sits a year and develops, but he’s a higher touted prospect, then Goff’s contract comes up… Goff will resign but we also have this young guy at backup who could be good too… I just think in the long run it’s a smart move… it doesn’t mean we don’t resign Goff, maybe we trade the young kid and Goff takes less money. Or maybe Goff wants his money and we have a young kid… or maybe the young kid doesn’t work out and we are forced to resign Goff or draft someone else… I just think the main argument is it would be smart in this draft where we have 5 top 80 picks to take a QB because it sets us up for future success and flexibility from a team building standpoint… it’s not a pro or anti Goff argument, it’s just a “how do we best set the team up for sustained future success” argument.

5 Likes

That’s exactly what I heard too which is the biggest non statement ever and GM speak.

It’s the equivalent of saying “I have a great car and it’s a lot easier to get a worse car” but also “if I could get a better car I might do that too”

It was a very well spoken non answer

2 Likes

He says in that article

"I do think Jared has proven to everybody that he is the starting quarterback for us.”

Among a lot of other things.

3 Likes

But that can mean he sees Goff as both a valuable piece to the team and also maybe a valuable trade piece in the future. Of course he likes Goff and if Goff keeps playing like he did this year it will be a very tough decision for the Lions. But in the end having two QBs and having to make a tough decision is overall beneficial to the team if they play their cards right

I hear you.

I know they said that. That’s why this offseason is exciting. Smoke and mirrors. Talking about the here and now. Look at how they word things. They didn’t call this a rebuild. I didn’t create this thread and I’m not even saying it’s ar15……but I am saying this is a legit talking point and the reasons @Thats2 listed are literally on point.

3 Likes

“I do think I have a car that can get me from point a to point b.”

3 Likes

Hahaha exactly!

1 Like