Worries with Jalen Carter

You clearly need a refresher…haha

3 Likes

You spoke about “traits.” Which I consider physical not mental. I’m giving him being a top 10 pick, over Willis a 3rd round pick DUE to where AR played and the offensive system he played in. I don’t think that is underselling that value of that for AR. Traits to me are things like arm strength, speed of release, mobility, size, footwork, height, processing. Again outside of size, I do not see AR as having “much much” better traits. He is the superior prospect and a top 10 one in this draft because he has the physical traits, and other impressive positives, like playing in a more NFL style offense. I wouldn’t take him there, but that’s me. Poor accuracy scares me out of investing it in a would be franchise QB and there is no other way to sell what AR has in that regard.

He played poorly in an NFL style offense. How is that a positive ??

Levis, playing against the same level of competition had a QB rating of 151 and was said to have an “off year” (28th highest in colleage football). AR had a 131, good for 84th in colleage football. (in comparison, Stroud was 177 for 1st in college football and Young was 163 for 9th in college football).

AR, if he were to go in the 1st round, would be one of the worst (if not the worst) QB’s to ever go in the 1st round based on colleage production. He’s a late round pick based on stats and being a QB. I said 3rd round value is that’s the value I place on him overall because of his physical traits. I predicted he’d be 2nd round because someone will over value his physical traits.

Any GM that drafts him in top 10 will be out of a job in 2 years.

2 Likes

I only brought up accuracy in response to your post. I don’t know if iI would consider processing a trait or not. Kind of a nurture vs nature debate that I could see both arguments for.

Richardson is not only a lot bigger than Willis. He’s a lot faster and has a stronger arm (and in particular incredibly rare easy velocity). That dude flicks his wrist and it comes out of there like he just took a crow hop.

Whether he reaches his potential or not, I have no clue.

When I think of accuracy issues that can be corrected I think of hitting a guy on the numbers in stride rather than hitting him on the hip so he has to break stride to catch the ball. I think those issues are correctable with repetition and practice. If your at the college level and throwing check down passes to a wide open RB and it sails 5 yards behind him to a coach on the sideline it may not be so easy to fix.

1 Like

I saw Justin Herbert while in college sail a swing pass several yard over the RBs head. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I would guess Herbert hits about 95+ % of those passes. I jst think people have the wrong idea about Richardson. I don’t think he will ever be accurate like Goff. He don’t have to be if you have him in the right offense.

“Alot faster??”

We won’t get to see Willis run the 40-yard dash. He declined to run the 40 at the combine and did so again at his pro day, per Wyche. This is not the first time a top QB prospect has passed up two opportunities to post a 40 time for scouts, and Jeremiah cited the fact that Willis was clocked at 20-plus mph at the Reese’s Senior Bowl in February. With the speed he has displayed in game action, teams are unlikely to dock him any points for declining to run a 40. We already know he is fast.

-I really don’t see a tangibly better arm/ball velocity or release speed from AR compared to Willis, though I do see better touch. The guy who coached BOTH Willis and Mahommes said Willis had the superior arm so I think we’re splitting hairs a bit. I think we have a bit of the shiny new thing going on here. As to processing speed and if that is a “trait.” I do think it is, but it also falls under the mental side as opposed to things you are more born with. I think a QB prospect has a better chance at improving his processing with study and repetition and learning teams tendencies, than improving say a 53% completion percentage. If you can see it, but not hit it, it really doesn’t matter that you saw it quicker than the guy who hit his WR in stride.

1 Like

It depends on the prospect and what is going wrong. That’s what QB coaches are there to take a look at and correct. Carson Palmer would sail inaccurate passes. What they figured out was that he would sometimes have his lead shoulder too high, and with his throwing motion it would set off a chain reaction that caused the ball to sail. So he spent a shit ton of time focusing on keeping his lead shoulder down. From an outsider looking in, it appeared to me that Cam Newton had the same problem. But he didn’t seem to give a damn and sailed balls his entire career.

I thought Cam’s biggest problem was he already thought he was good enough and didn’t want to work to improve. And he was really good, MVP, made a Super Bowl. But he could have been so much better.

There is definitely some truth to that. And I blame the coaches as well for not making Cam evolve and grow. When he said New England was the first time he had to identify the Mike LB it was eye opening just how much the Panthers coaches “let Cam be Cam.” Anthony Richardson is raw AF and he’s in charge of pass protection calls at Florida. Cam didn’t even identify the Mike, which is the most basic thing for a QB before they rise to the level of making their own protection calls.

2 Likes

Coaches absolutely enabled that attitude.

1 Like

Yes. AR is quite a bit faster. Did you see AR run? If he runs in a straight line he’s in the upper 4.3s.

Malik was probably a 4.5 guy. Overall he had some nice tools but they are far inferior to what AR offers.

AR clearly does. Especially when you consider the ease from
which AR generates his velocity.

We don’t have what he “probably” was. We have no 40 yard dash time. What we do have is a 20mph time clocked in pads during the Senior Bowl and that DOES equate to FAST.

Then we have this:

[Risdon] Jameson Williams reached 20.31 MPH on his touchdown reception, the fastest speed by a WR on a reception in Week 14.

I wouldn’t call Jamo a “4.5 guy” would you? I’ve seen plenty of Willis runs and I would not call AR quote “quite a bit faster.” But without both guys running the 40, we simply have to use our best judgements. People were pegging Willis in that 4.3 territory but again, we won’t ever know for certain. I disagree that Willis’ “tools” are “far inferior” to what AR offers. AR is bigger and played against better competition at an infinitely better program. That’s all I’ll give the guy because I just don’t see it how you do and that’s totally cool.

AR was clocked at 23.6mph on his combine run. Crazy fast.

Agree to disagree I guess. I think it’s pretty obvious that AR has significantly more impressive tools than ML but if you disagree that’s fine.

2 Likes

That IS very fast. Not saying that. But put a helmet, pads and cleats on him and a football in his arms and see if he isn’t a little closer to Malik’s 20.3 under those conditions. We can do apples and oranges all day.

Sure, but he appears to my eyes to be to have been significantly faster during games as well.
Whatever. Doesn’t particularly matter what we think of course.emphasized text

1 Like

Just sort of hard without head to head metrics. There was also this:

WHAT IS KYLER MURRAY’S SPEED?

Kyler Murray reached a max speed of 20.78 MPH on his 57-yd rush. That’s fast but that stat is just saying how fast he is relative to himself. Kyler Murray might be the fastest player in college football right now.

Murray was hand timed at 4.38. So if we are to make anything out of this correlation, Malik would likely be in the low 4.4 range. AR is “faster,” he isn’t “a lot” faster. Based on what we have for comparisons. AR is a freak at the position, no argument there. It’s 53% that scares me off and I don’t feel that the freakness can overcome that. He’s a significantly faster, slightly lighter Cam Newton with a completion percentage that is 12 percentage points less than what Cam produced against the same conference. Cam’s accuracy in the NFL for a career was 59% and he had 123 INTs over 144 starts. If AR’s NFL accuracy trajectory is anything like Cam’s was… well he’s not going to make it.

Hand times are typically around .15 seconds faster. My guess for Willis would be 4.50 to 4.55 ish