Would you be ok with paying Goff 35 million a year to win one playoff game?

In the future people are going to talk about the '22 Lions in the same breath as the '85 Bears and the '72 Dolphins. Everyone knew this team was stacked. The only glaring difference between the 3 was that Goff was the QB for the Lions and that’s why they failed.

1 Like

I must say: always find these “so-and-so will never” statements just so odd.

In this case, it’s a kinda trivial observation as a matter of probability: the large majority of starting NFL QBs in the NFL never get to a SB, much less win one. Part of it is that the average length of a QB’s career is less than 5 years. Guys who are named legit starters doubtless last longer - let’s say they average 10 years (I dunno). I think Daniel Jones has played 4 seasons. Would you bet that he’ll even remain a starting QB for an additional 6 seasons? I don’t think I would. How many opportunities are ahead of him?

And, on the other hand, it’s REALLY clear that none of us has any idea what the future will bring. It’s fine not to like what Goff/Jones bring/don’t bring to the table. But the list of pretty average QBs winning it all (Dilfer, Foles, Brad Johnson), and very good-great QBs playing like average-at-best QBs winning it all (e.g., Manning in 50, Brady in 53, Ben Roethlisberger in 40) is long. Great QB play is a big plus, but plenty of teams have won without it. And more than a few QBs have played well in some SBs and poorly in others. Elway was the QB who Couldn’t Win a Bowl - until he did. Twice. Even if you were right about Goff choking in big games - and you’re not - the idea that he’s therefore doomed to choke away his next opportunity is obviously wrong.

Of course Jared Goff can win it. He may never win it, but can’t has nothing to do with it.

2 Likes

The defenses were very similar!! lol

2 Likes

If Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Joe Flacco can all win the super bowl, anyone can!!

Oh and Nick ■■■■■■■ Foles!

2 Likes

Indeed! Forgot about Foles. And even someone like Eli Manning - his reputation is built ENTIRELY on those SB wins. Guys was pretty average as starting QBs go - with the huge caveat of winning two Bowls. NO ONE looked at Manning and thought, YEP, YOU CAN’T STOP HIM, CAN ONLY SLOW HIM DOWN. Until he won. Big.

Edit: I didn’t forget Foles! I just forgot what I wrote. Sigh. Flacco was the one I didn’t include.

Agreed, Eli kinda sucked. Threw a ton of INT’s and had a career 84 QB rating, which is pretty bad. In fact, Fields had the worst QB rating for starters in the nfl last season. It was 85, above Eli’s career average.

Eli still won 2 SB’s though.

1 Like

Yup. And, playing in NY, he was under a LOT of pressure. How many Giants fans gnashed their teeth and insisted that “you won’t win a championship with Eli Manning”?

1 Like

And all those teams we mentioned above that won with average QB’s could run the ball very well and play very good defense. It’s almost as if football is a team game after all!

1 Like

We watched Flacco and Eli get hot and go on a playoff tear to win the SB

Both had great defenses. When the QB knows the defense has your back they can play with more confidence and good things can happen

2 Likes

Someone please name me a qb available this offseason that would fit this offense better, play better and win more games than goff? For the lions this coming season!

1 Like

any rookie of course. Because what matters is that we have a rookie QB on a cheap contract.

Goff is basically Cousins and Carr. He can’t throw deep and has bad energy. He needs everything to be perfect and owes every good play to Ben Johnson

1 Like

Hey! Stop laughing at me!
Gary Busey Face GIF

Sport Fish GIF by Outside Watch

1 Like

Have we tried getting God on our side!! And yes Tebow won a playoff game!

may tim tebow GIF

1 Like

Excellent gif. It deserves the killing flies emoji

ridley scott GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

1 Like

Is god available? I wonder if pick 6&18 would be enough

share kiss GIF

He’s always available, most aren’t willing to make the deal. :wink:

You’re not factoring in QB inflation there. It’s as bad as political dummies inflation.