Would you be ok with paying Goff 35 million a year to win one playoff game?

The point, wise guy, is that the '22 Lions D and the ‘85 Bears D were similarly STACKED w/talent - and should have been, WOULD have been very similar if not for flippin’ Goff.

Tell me you don’t know football without telling me you don’t know football.

I’m glad he’s our QB. You can win w/Goff.

Tell me about it… the 85 Bears D would have been even better with Will Harris!!

1 Like

My immediate reaction is yes, because you can’t win the Super Bowl without winning your first playoff game.

2 Likes

Hey hey hey, let’s not get crazy here…

Ummm Goff won a Championship

FYI - He holds the Rams record for most 4th quarter comebacks in a single season.

More than Stafford, Warner, Everrett, Van Brocklin, Bulger etc

3 Likes

Was he his best WR?? Kupp played 8 games that year before missing the rest of the season. At the time Kupp had played his 8 games he was 3rd on the team in receptions and receiving yards behind Bradin Cooks and Robert Woods, who both had more than 80 receptions and 1200 yds for that season.

You could argue in 2018 he wasn’t the ‘best’ on the team but he was a difference maker. The year before Kupp led the Rams in red-zone targets and developed as Goff’s top receiver in the red zone and third downs. Kupp was fourth in the entire NFL in red zone targets most the year behind Adams, Fitzgerald and Bryant

He also got injured early game five so he was hurt a few weeks before he went on IR for his ACL

I don’t think anyone would disagree that was a significant loss for the SB run

Many might argue that because that loss was 8 weeks into the season and the loss didn’t stop them from getting to the Super Bowl… :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Dude, I’ve been a Lions fanatic since 68. It’s way too late.

2 Likes

Nobody is going to argue the loss didn’t stop them from getting to the Super Bowl. Because they did

What people are saying is they lost a significant piece of their offense and arguably their most important receiver who would have been immensely helpful in the SB

1 Like

The team that won the Super Bowl lost some significant pieces too and they still won. But that’s not the debate and neither is what you are saying. The argument is he was the number one WR and best WR….he wasn’t at that time.

It’s not an argument that’s worth having. But suffice to say they missed having a hell of a player, their top third down and red zone target who ended up being the SB MVP a couple years later

Not a big leap to say they probably win in 2018 if he’s healthy

1 Like

Right….so why does it keep being brought up?? He wasn’t the best or even the #1 receiver at that time.

Because it ties back to Goff.
There are a few Goff discussions happening around here in case you didn’t realize. Just a few. :slight_smile:

I think it’s brought up in context of the Rams Super bowl loss.

Goes something like this:

Point: Stafford won a SB with the Rams and Goff didn’t. Therefore Goff can’t

Counterpoint. Goff didn’t have as good a team, including a healthy Kupp who was their best red zone and third down threat; top five in the league in Red zone catches. - Stafford had a healthy Kupp who became SB MVP. If Goff had a healthy Kupp they likely win that game. Especially considering Cooks dropped two catchable TD passes

(your) Counter-counter point: But that year Kupp was injured game 5 and they made the SB anyway so he must not have been Goffs best WR. [And therefore would not have had a tangible outcome for that game - (implied)]

Counter-counter-counter point. Well he may have not had the most yardage for the first four games on the team, but Goff is good at spreading the ball around and the fact the fact remains if they had had Kupp, who was their best clutch red zone and 3rd down receiver for the SB - they probably win

Counter-counter-counter-counter point. Stafford made Kupp great

Counter-counter-counter-counter-counter point. That doesn’t seem true. If Stafford could make a WR the triple crown winner and SB MVP why was a major excuse with the Lions that his WRs weren’t good enough? (Calvin Johnson notwithstanding) couldn’t he make them great too?

Counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-counter point. Because the Fords sucked and their vortex of suckyness made Stafford helpless. Like Superman and green kryptonite. Besides every WR had their career years with Stafford with the Lions

Counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-counter point. Well, all those WRs had their prime age years there. Except Burleson, who actually had better years before he joined the Lions.

counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-counter point: :expressionless:

counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-counter point: :expressionless:

But you just said it’s an argument not worth having didnt you?? Make up your mind….either it is or it’s not. And yes Stafford did win a Super Bowl with the Rams while Goff did t. So what Stafford had Kupp….that pretty much all Stafford had. Goff played the FINAL 8 GAMES without Kupp. Goff had two, count them TWO WRs that had 80+ receptions and 1200+ yds. Stafford didn’t have that. Goff didn’t need Kupp for that Super Bowl, he got there without Kupp. What Goff and that team needed was a healthy running game….that is what was missing, not Kupp.

1 Like

Don’t waste your time bro, Stafford running game was averaging 2.9 yards, 2nd and 3rd string recievers hurt, playing with 7th round reciever who literally dropped a TD in his hands in the NFC championship game, played with his 3rd string tightend but still managed to win… Patriots got shut down to 13 points and still won… stop comparing bum ass Goff to Stafford… it’s ridiculous, Goff is not HIM

Good point, aside from Kupp, RB1 was gone too

We’re both speculating of course. But IMO with Kupp the Goff Rams win the SB. .And without Kupp the Stafford Rams dont.

And that’s exactly what we’re talking about, what ifs, if we are paying 45m for Goff he better be able to win a game we have no business winning. Stafford won the super bowl and Goff didn’t. Stafford wins that Superbowl without Kupp vs the patriots. He still had cooks and woods… keep making excuses for Goff, Stafford first year out of Detroit he wins the chip. The team literally gave up Goff and 2 first round picks! Lol for stafford, no one would trade a franchise QB for a sore loser and also give up 2 first round picks to take Goff…

I’ve brought this up several times.

McVays offense stalled when their run game was non existent. Part of that was due to their OL and part of that was due to injuries at RB. But it stalled.

McVay didn’t have an answer for it and teams started pinning their ears back and going after Goff.

I think that’s what cost them the SB.

Goff is a lot like Brees. He needs a good pocket and run game to be most effective. Most SB winning teams do.

Every QB needs a supporting cast to be successful. Some need better WR’s. some need a better OL. Some need a quality defense and some need a run game. But it’s hard to win if you don’t have at least the essential minimum to succeed.

Goff was the winningest QB in the NFL before he came to Detroit. To say he can’t win or get you there is just nonsense.

1 Like