Would you be ok with paying Goff 35 million a year to win one playoff game?

He can’t get us there taking 45m a year that’s what I’m saying. And if McVay one of the best play callers wanted him out then there is a reason. He killed it when McVay was ahead of the league and everyone was playing catch up. He got exposed by Bears on that Sunday night and Patriots did the same in the Super Bowl. We can talk about injuries and what not but there was play after play him missing guys and panicking in the pocket. Keep him for this year and possibly another if we don’t take a QB in this years draft.

Well that’s obvious….Kupp is all Stafford’s Rams had :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

So … Stafford won the Super Bowl, but that’s diminished because he wouldn’t have even got there without a guy dropping an interception, that would’ve given the 49ers the ball at their own 35, with a 3 point lead, and 9:40 left in the game.

Goff didn’t win the Super Bowl, but he would’ve if Kupp didn’t get hurt. 273 rushing yards and 3 rushing TDs in the opening round and a missed PI call in the NFC Championship aren’t relevant to him getting there.

Am I caught up?

1 Like

Well said and agree.
Supporting cast, health and some luck(I’m excluding Indy’s Luck as that didn’t work).

If you are saying that teams need some luck, health and a good team overall, then yes, you are caught up.

You are sooooo caught up….in fact , you are ahead of the game in terms of how you interpret that logic and reasoning :100:

Haters on Stafford, and excuses. We’re here rn and Ill bet my house Goff won’t win the chip if we extend him to 45m a year. Same people shitting on Cousins and his contract will be the same ones inviting that to Goff who’s not even better then cousins.

Any more qualifiers or is this the final offer?

Pro football reference disagrees.

He’s not taking or making 45mil a year.

But if he were there’s no reason you can’t win doing that with good drafting.

Of course there’s a reason but you’re implying it’s because he couldn’t get it done. But the facts are he was getting done.

I think you’re projecting on to him the entire teams inability to get it done. You’re also failing to acknowledge he was a young QB. Very few young QB’s win super bowls. Most fall short when they hit the big game due to lack of experience.

Just in recent years you have

Hurts, Mahomes, and Burrows all losing super bowls.

Is it because they are incapable of getting It done? Of course not.

He has 2 years to prove it otherwise I’m not paying him 45m and it’s so much harder to build a team when you have a good not great QB taking up a big portion of your cap and he can’t elevate the team…

He didn’t get it done cause he lost in the Superbowl… a defense that held the goat to 13 points…

Hurts isn’t in the same category of Burrow and Mahomes, I wouldn’t pay Hurts 45m+ either he can’t elevate a team and he sucks, needs a great team around him and he’ll ball out but once his contract comes and they pay him and lose some talent you’ll see him dip and eagles be irrelevant

1 Like

Brad Holmes contract dealings lately and moves is almost as if they are expecting a large sum of money to come off the books within the next year or two, Holmes has a plan and this off-season and draft will show us how he feels at the QB position.

You’re moving the Goal Post now …. What happens if he wins the division and take the Lions deep in the playoffs. Let’s say all the way to the NFC championship but he loses. You’re still not paying him?

Let’s assume no….

Ok what if he wins it all?…. Are you still not paying him?

Once again you’re projecting the entire teams failure on to him and just because he didn’t get it done that one time doesn’t mean he can’t. There’s a lot of QB’s who lost a SB or NFC championship and still went on to win one.

You’re being the typical fan who projects onto the QB. The same type of fan who claimed Stafford couldn’t get it done.

It’s a team game my friend. All of those QB’s are capable of getting it done. There’s a reason teams pay guys like Jones, Cousins etc…. They recognize that fact.

I recall when Brett Farve became a Packer and took the job over from Majkowski. The year 1995. I’m in a hunting resort in michigans UP on the Wisconsin border. Full of packer fans and the Lions Packer game is on. The Lions beat the packers that game and the entire group of packers fans came to the conclusion that Farve would never be good enough and the Packers should bench him and start the magic man Majikowski. …. I thought they were nuts and we all know how Farve turned out for them.

It’s simply really, Goff is a game manager qbs and those type of qbs don’t give you superbowl wins. We can talk about how if the team is all perfect than goff would win, but that is too risky. A dynasty gets built on qbs like Mahomes, burrow. It simply is too risky to give him another contract, rams made it easy for holmes to decide

1 Like

Much more handsome…& he’s not even bald!!!

Our team is ready to take the next step and win division and make the playoffs with or without Goff. Half the leagues QB’s can take this team to the playoffs and have Ben Johnson scheme the 2nd most open recievers in the league…

We’ve seen Goff on a rookie deal and solid squad built for him in LA and what he did. I get it shit happens and it’s a team sport but when you consistently struggle and panic under pressure and have no pocket movement or extend a play when you need to, you can’t change that. Idc what his stats say. Carr and cousins had great years in there career no one thinks they’re top 5 in the league…

And he won’t win it all if he does I’ll retract and apologize… HE won’t tho lol

I’m with you but I don’t believe he has the IT factor and if he couldn’t do it making less money and a stacked team, what makes you believe he will, and we got Sewell and Amon, Hutchinson deals coming up and there’s a possibility we have lose some talent and hope to hit on our draft picks in the mid rounds…

Complete opposite, Stafford is my favorite player of all time, and I’ve always believed if he had a team around him even a decent squad he can take us far… he finally left and got a team around him and wins it his first year… I don’t judge QB’s by wins or losses or how many playoff games he won, I judge him by his talent and if he can elevate a team and carry a team and win games when everything is going wrong. Opposite of Goff he’s already had good teams around him and couldn’t get it done, now we wanna extend him to 40m and have less talent around him and wish he can do what he’s failed to do for 7 years…

And they won’t win anything anytime soon lol. Come to me when they do and I’ll apologize and take back what I said and retract… and I wouldn’t have paid Jones or cousins, those are teams scared to move on and take a risk, so they settle just being good and being middle of the pact, smart teams make changes quick and take calculated risks… feel bad for Justin Jefferson

So we get, Goff isn’t your guy to win the Super Bowl. So who IS your guy? Who out there that is available can win the Lions the Super Bowl?

THAT → is the question
Super, super hard to upgrade to a top tier guy.
I agree with a TON of what @BallHawk has said, though not to the same extent.
My opinion floats in the center of what these cats have been saying.
Couple of things though → How would you upgrade? How long would it take?
→ Who is gonna be better? it is Hard AF to play NFL QB.

I’ve been praying that Goff can be our Eli Manning since the first moment he stepped into the facility.

Also…he is still improving & I belive he will continue to.

1 Like

It’s super hard to upgrade to a top tier guy, that’s why I always say, if Brad Holmes believes in a QB in this draft, take ur chance and go for him.

The thing is, you wouldn’t even have to upgrade, if you can get a player who gives us even 70% of Goff production stats wise but has upside and can extend plays and throw deep, we would be in a better place, even if he throws some interceptions… I’ll take a high upside player who can create and improvise when things are chaotic…

And I don’t think it would take that long to produce tbh, take advantage with a top 5 offensive line and running game and Amon and Jamo… I’ll understand if Goff took us to the playoffs but we haven’t made the playoffs and we started the year horrible, even if he had a great last 8 weeks and didn’t throw a pick he had a lot of turnover worthy plays and we won’t get that lucky next year with that, he will throw more picks next year.

1 Like

Well, Eli is one of the answers, I think Goff is better than Eli; like Eli, with a good team around him, he can do well and win it all.

Response in general not directing to BN.
I also disagree with the narrative that Goff crumbles and panicks on a consistant basis. I saw that for a while last year and there were several legitimate reasons for why as DC himself stated. Numerous Ram fans on the board have countered this and stood in the pocket in the face of hits and pressure several times this year and last year.

But, like Stafford and the 98% of QB’s in the league he needs a good team around him with some luck thrown in.