Goff can’t read defense according to Mcvay

Because he had had two better seasons that Stafford EVER had for 16 games!

You cannot have a third great season unless you had two great seasons. Goff was very, very good in 2017 and 2018. Better that Stanford’s best season good. Matt had a great start to 2019 with a 106 rating but he missed 8 games. 2017 was really good under Caldwell with a 99.3 rating.

Goff had 100.5 and 101.1 ratings in 2017 and 2018. That is pretty damn good.

Matt has had worse seasons than the seasons Goff had in 2019 and 2020 too by the way. Matt’s rating in 2012? 79.8. How 'bout 2013? 84.2…oth years WOSE than the seasons that got Goff banished from LA. In fact, Goff’s worst season (again, in terms of rating) was an 86.5 rating and Matt was worse than that three times EXCLUDING his rookie season too!

Caldwell saved Stafford. He rounded out his game and helped make Matt the guy we saw since 2015. But Matt between 2009-2014 was a tease. Brilliant at times. 2011 was fucking amazing. But also filled with terrible lows, bone-headed and painful mistakes. In fact, Matt’s BEST season (2011) was his best season until 2015 when Matt finally started to put it all together.

Goff’s best seasons were his second and third seasons with ratings over 100. His last two seasons are considered down seasons but even then they are not as bad as Matt was in 2012 or 2013 so hell yes, I see a lot of potential in Goff just like I did Matt was back when I still supported Stafford here even in 2012 and 2013.

Farmer…I think you are giving too much credit to McVay for the good times and all the credit to Goff for the bad times. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle.

Goff needs to improve his game as he faces his future just like Stafford did in 2014 when Caldwell was hired. A QB with a ton of potential, some really nice success (unlike Stafford) but he has hit a wall. It will be fun to see if Goff can start to round out his game. And if he does the Lions are in GREAT shape with a 27 year old QB and two additional 1st rd. picks in 2022 and 2023.

2 Likes

Neither are anti-Goff. There are some who are high on Fields and would support the team if they drafted him this year. Even then, they’re content for Goff to take starter’s reps while the team is in a rebuild. Furthermore, if Fields is not available (hint; he won’t be) they’ve stated their contentment with rolling with Goff. That’s NOT anti-Goff. They’re not all-in on him, but none of us should be, really. He has an opportunity to show he’s the guy Holmes thought he was. He has a chance to prove he wasn’t the problem. Every guy advocating for one of the top QB’s at 7 will be 100% behind Goff after draft day. If they were really “anti” Goff, that wouldn’t be the case.

1 Like

And yet, the genius that many feel made Goff, is now trading Goff for Stafford, and including a whole lot more in the package in order to acquire him.

2 Likes

MyLions I think you are working with Lions Kool Aid goggles on. I give you props for your full throated defense of our new QB. You are a true fan through and through.

Let me tell you where I’m at with the Lions. If they pass on a franchise QB, you’ll see me walk away for good if they guessed wrong on Goff. I literally live in the greater Tampa area for Godsake.

IMO, arguments like the one you are putting forth is exactly how we got here to begin with.

1 Like

I’ve seen the same posters make these two claims.

1. Stafford sucks because he didn’t make enough probowls or win playoff games.

2. Goff sucks and the Rams won playoff games in-spite of him.

I find it interesting that the supporting cast for Stafford had no influence on his ability to win games. Yet for Goff it was the supporting cast that won and not Goff.

I’ve pointed out to these same posters that Goff has made the probowl in 2 out of the 4 years he’s been a full time starter. Which is an incredible feat.

I have no idea if he’s the long term answer or not but I think he’s done enough to warrant an opportunity to prove himself.

3 Likes

You might want to wait until the '22 draft, as the plan might be to suck this year, draft even higher next year, and then get the QB. An especially good plan if three or maybe four of the top ones are going to be off the board by the time the Lions pick this year.

See this thread.

As a long time Rams fan, I am looking forward to seeing Goff in Detroit. I don’t love Goff, but he’s a solid qb who would benefit from a team placing some offensive talent around him.

I do love an underdog and I can’t think of a more interesting underdog than Goff after McVay treated him like a dirty dog and kicked him to the curb.

If the Lions can bring in a solid right tackle with their first pick and a speedy play maker in the 2nd round, the Lions offense should be better than the Rams. The Rams have a mediocre o-line right now with their best player being the 39 year old Whitworth who is coming off a knee injury.

That could change when the seasons starts but the Rams have not been good at fixing the problems on the o-line created when Saffold and Sullivan left after 2018. Go figure that Goff struggled the next two seasons. Who would have thought an average to below average o-line would affect a pocket passer like Goff?!?

(The Rams and the genius McVay also struggled terribly on specials teams in 2021 after McVay let their highly regarded special teams coach go. McVay is good, but he has some problems and reeks of desperation right now to me.)

Put a good line in front of Goff–and the Lions should easily be vastly superior to the Rams oline if Holmes and co. choose a RT in round 1–create a running game, and add a speedy receiver to the mix of Hockenson, Williams, and company and I will be excited to see what Goff can do.

The Rams have some good receivers but they don’t have anybody that scares an opposing defense like they used to with Gurley, Watkins, and Cooks. Good defenses with a talented front 7 attacked that weakness of the Rams the last couple of years. Besides adding an old DeSean Jackson, the Rams still have little chance of fixing that problem.

7 Likes

That is TOTALLY right on Air.

I am NOT drinking the Kool Aid. Frankly I am BEYOND glad we are not rolling the rookie QB game right now. HOPING our guy is at least as good as Goff and can become as good as Stafford is right now. At least Goff is a credible starter even if he stays a mid-80s level starter. Like a Joe Flacco.

I believe Holmes used his inside information to straight fleece the Rams as he knew Goff could not stay in that toxic environment (not placing blame anywhere but that dynamic could NOT continue). He KNEW the Rams had to move past Goff and that they had limited options. And he took serious assets and a credible starter starting now. VERY nice.

I don’t know if Goff is going to be amazing here. But I DO know he will not be Josh Rosen, Dwayne Haskins, Daniel Jones, Sam Darnold and so on. Goff can play. He needs to get his game together better and a new staff is set up to get him there.

I honestly don’t understand how some folks are not on this move. I really don’t. That doesn’t mean I think Goff is going to the HOF or anything like that but his experience level is really solid for us. I’ll take a guy like Goff over an unproven rookie in most cases all day. And we didn’t have to use a draft pick to get him.

I remember more than a few posters ears back lamenting how Matt would never be as good a QB as a guy like Goff. Funny how things change for some.

MyLions if a young Matthew Stafford was in this draft, are you passing on him and riding with Goff? Or are you making the smart play and taking Stafford?

That’s basically what I’m saying here. Its not an attack on Goff. Its acknowledgement of the value of a franchise QB. And the guys in this draft could be better than Stafford.

And let me help out this equation. The guy we pick is not going to bust in my scenario. A sure fire Matthew Stafford or better. What do you do?

why going back to 2013 Stafford? , compare 2020 for each. seems silly to say well 2021 Goff might be better than Stafford 8 years ago…

Welcome

I think you’ll love Stafford and his heroics.

1 Like

Me either …,. Especially from the guys who wanted Matt gone at all costs.

Yep many of these same posters were claiming 6 months ago that Stafford was a mediocre QB and how guys like Goff and Wentz were better. Now that they have Goff he sucks … lol

Ya know what I think it is? … these guys want a mobile QB so bad that they can’t see past their own nose. The grass is always greener on the other side philosophy.

2 Likes

Lions are going in the right direction . They wanted a winner , they see that in Goff . If Goff keep giving 5 wins like the previous era for two straight years, then we will start our dual threat quarterback we developed . That’s the plan for now

1 Like

Wolf, I ham using 2013 Stafford to 2920 Goff as each guy was in the league five seasons at that point. No one I know is arguing that Goff is better than Stafford in 2021. Matt is better today.

But I also think 2020 Goff is better than 2013 or 2014 Matt and that Goff has a real opportunity to grow here. I am excited about that on many levels.

I like 2020 Goff more than any rookie in this class even noting Goff’s larger cap hit.

This is how see it.

Goff’s range in the QB hierarchy at various points of his career is about 2-3 spots lower than Stafford’s let’s say 7th-20th QB in the NFL vs. 5th-18th. But whereas Goff’s recent play is in the bottom quartile of his range, Stafford’s is in the top quartile.

Given the potential erosion of McVey’s guru reputation, the Rams window of opportunity, the opening of their née stadium, the competition for eyeballs and entertainment dollars in that media market, etc. there was a sense of urgency.

BUT if you can rehab Goff to play in the upper portion of his range it’s not a significant drop off from Stafford. I’m unsure how big of an if that is but excited to find out.

1 Like

Its a terrible gamble. I hope they aren’t that dumb. If you have a chance, you take one. That simple

The real skill is being right on the player’s ability and having stones enough to follow through with your conviction.

So help me to understand; are you proposing all, or at least some, of those first-round picks we just got should be packaged to move up to get that elite QB?

Because three of the QBs are going in the first three picks, and a fourth one will go before the Lions pick.

There’s a possibility that one of the supposed “big four” will be there when the Lions pick. That’s a whole lot different than when they had the #1 overall pick and took Stafford. Taking the fourth or fifth player at a position when you’re picking 7th overall is … ugh.

They could get incredibly lucky, and the one QB they covet, they one that would make them treat Goff the same way McVay treated him, is the one that falls to them. That seems VERY iffy, however.

That means packaging all that acquired draft capital to move up and get your guy.

Ehh.

If the idea is to not roll with Goff and get a young, franchise QB in the draft; I think I prefer sucking this coming season, picking higher next draft, and doing it then. That allows a year of watching Goff play here, to figure out if that’s the right move.

The same people arguing this last year around this time also argued that The Pats was all BB and Brady was overrated

:grimacing:

1 Like

Welcome Cal!

1 Like

If Detroit was picking #1 or #2, we wouldn’t have made the deal for Goff. We would have taken one of the deals that included a top 10 pick and gotten a WR to match with our #1 or #2 overall pick.

There is a HUGE drop off after #2 QB IMO. I seriously doubt whether or not Fields will be in the league in 5 years. That is NOT someone I would use a 1st round pick on, even if the 32nd overall. I’m not sure I would take him in the 2nd round either.

2 Likes